Star Bar Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Star Bar Siem Reap

Post by Kammekor »

Air fares are high, and air fares to Siem Reap are through the roof. The difference between a ticket to BKK and one to SAI can be as much as 600 pp. For a couple traveling together that's big money. Of course one could buy a ticket to Bangkok, and then travel on to SAI, but that requires time, probably a night in Bangkok, and is pretty inconvenient.

The historic city of Ayutthaya isn't as impressive as the Angkor Wat but also worth a visit at much, much lower costs. And then there's a lot more to see in the country with the convenience of (cheap) domestic flights. It's a no brainer for me.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:15 am Air fares are high, and air fares to Siem Reap are through the roof. The difference between a ticket to BKK and one to SAI can be as much as 600 pp. For a couple traveling together that's big money. Of course one could buy a ticket to Bangkok, and then travel on to SAI, but that requires time, probably a night in Bangkok, and is pretty inconvenient.

Agreed 100%. The single biggest issue with tourism in Cambodia is not so much what the country has to offer, moreso that direct flights have collapsed since COVID and thus it is very expensive to get here (as well as exhausting), and amidst a global economic downturn, people will fly to Bangkok (well-suited for mass tourism with the infrastructural support for it) rather than Siem Reap, let alone to Phnom Penh only to take a taxi across the nation for +6 hours (imagine the cultural shock for time-sensitive aging boomers at having to stop every hour at some random restaurant or rest stop up the N6 for no reason).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its not the airport, BUT it is what does Cambodia have to offer (IMHO)

Say your siting in the US, UK, Germany, Poland and think, where should we go for a vacation, tired of hitting beaches in Spain and or touring Greece- Mexico, the Caribbean ( if ur american)

I bet 99 out of 100 would never in a million years think," lets go to Cambodia/SR for a holiday"<
I bet when Cambodia is mentioned , if it comes up at all ... its the place where they killed over 25% of their own people LESS than 47 year ago and alot of bombs were dropped there.... vacation there,,,, god no
---------------------------------
Just looked up New York/London -SR on Kayak for April 4th one way (apx 35 baht=$1)

cheapest 23,000 baht but 3 stops 40 hours< 28,000 1 stop 27 hours
vs
NY- Bangkok
cheapest 20,800 1 stop 23 1/2 hours> 26,500 1 stop 20 hours

London-Bangkok
17,500 1 stop 19.15 hours, BEST 22,800 DIRECT!!! 11 1/2 hours
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

forgot
London -SR
cheapest 18,500 baht 2 stops 22 1/2 hours
21,200 1 stop 16 1/2 hours
30,100 1 stop 15.2 ( Thai)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:19 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:35 pm There’s a big hole left by the departure of Chinese mass tourism. The economy is in a downturn, and having a job is the number one priority now.

The pre-Chinese mix seemed far more stable and sustainable. Hopefully it will return that way,

My opinions. I hope to retire there someday.
Been noticing a lot of Americans in SR lately, which is really odd sinces I've gone months without seeing one (i.e, not a single one in sight circa jol jnam tmey) and now suddenly I see a lot of Baby Boomers in their 60s and 70s with midwest and west coast accents all around town, which is a bit peculiar. Either way, they all seem like good, wholesome visitors and I am sure they are exactly the type Cambodia is trying to attract more of.
Because a lot of us are sick of Thailand, for us oldsters, Cambodia is much better.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:30 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:35 pm There’s a big hole left by the departure of Chinese mass tourism. The economy is in a downturn, and having a job is the number one priority now.

The pre-Chinese mix seemed far more stable and sustainable. Hopefully it will return that way,

Been noticing a lot of Americans in SR lately, which is really odd sinces I've gone months without seeing one (i.e, not a single one in sight circa jol jnam tmey) and now suddenly I see a lot of Baby Boomers in their 60s and 70s with midwest and west coast accents all around town, which is a bit peculiar. Either way, they all seem like good, wholesome visitors and I am sure they are exactly the type Cambodia is trying to attract more of.
Because a lot of us are sick of Thailand, for us oldsters, Cambodia is much better.
speak for urself :please:
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:30 pm

I find that statement questionable, as many "oldsters" require quality healthcare, which isn't readily available in Cambodia yet.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Thailand Vietnam Singapore are all just flights away. What’s to stop retirees from filling up with pills and check ups and touch up procedure every few months there and just spend the rest of the time living a relaxed life in Siem Reap?

Thinking about the logistics when I retire myself.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

It's not so much pills and checkups you need to worry about. Although for the pill part it's hard to find a place with a more liberal over the counter drug policy.

It's what happens and where you are sent after that unfortunate bone crushing moto crash. The ones where you are too fucked up to hop on a flight.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Alex wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:15 pm
I find that statement questionable, as many "oldsters" require quality healthcare, which isn't readily available in Cambodia yet.
My current landlord is threatening me to move if I do not go visit a doctor in phnom penh .
After I went to the one he wanted me to go see here in siem reap . None here know what’s going on .
I did a chat with dr.pommy ( in thailand ) , sent him a picture of the new ultrasound and told him
I’m ok with wearing a diaper ( for the front , not the back ) and asked If i was going to die from this
( prostate problem ) surprisingly he replied !
He said the size now is normal - and I feel ok , I stoped drinking ( heavily )
I am ok , it’s not urgent and I have a toilet nearby ..

Going to phnom penh would make me sick !

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic