Shipping from the United States

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Shipping from the United States

Post by Bluenose »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:55 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:41 am
Nanook wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:27 am I have used both FedEx and DHL. Both were acceptable. DHL was a bit faster, but more expensive.
Thanks. I did look at both companies websites and both stated that they don’t ship debit or credit cards. You didn’t have any issues so I’ll check it out. Thanks again.

How long did each one take if you don’t mind?
I've had DHL return my shipment because of a credit card inside. Only banks can send debit/credit cards due to money laundry rules.

Also had like 10 of them go through fine. Seems like a bit of a hit and miss. But anything that can be done to hide the card will likely help.
A long time ago when they did accept them there was a scam where the card sent was a fake while the receiver had the genuine active card. The receiver then made purchases/withdrawals while DHL/UPS or whoever was still in the possession of the consignment and then claimed that it must have been a courier company employee that had fraudulently used the card. That's one of the reasons they don't accept other than directly from the issuer.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bluenose wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:51 am
Nanook wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:27 am I have used both FedEx and DHL. Both were acceptable. DHL was a bit faster, but more expensive.
Thanks. I did look at both companies websites and both stated that they don’t ship debit or credit cards. You didn’t have any issues so I’ll check it out. Thanks again.

I've had DHL return my shipment because of a credit card inside. Only banks can send debit/credit cards due to money laundry rules.

Also had like 10 of them go through fine. Seems like a bit of a hit and miss. But anything that can be done to hide the card will likely help.
A long time ago when they did accept them there was a scam where the card sent was a fake while the receiver had the genuine active card. The receiver then made purchases/withdrawals while DHL/UPS or whoever was still in the possession of the consignment and then claimed that it must have been a courier company employee that had fraudulently used the card. That's one of the reasons they don't accept other than directly from the issuer.
??

1. Fake card? same ### or
2. I NEVER activate my card until its in my hands> activated online via website with my login/password
3. How could an unactivated card be used?

https://www.usps.com/international/prio ... tional.htm
First-Class Package International Service
1-8 Oz less than $20 3-5 days
used once to Thailand for important docs< very quick secure, less than FedEx/DHL
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:59 am
Bluenose wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:51 am

??

1. Fake card? same ### or
2. I NEVER activate my card until its in my hands> activated online via website with my login/password
3. How could an unactivated card be used?

https://www.usps.com/international/prio ... tional.htm
First-Class Package International Service
1-8 Oz less than $20 3-5 days
used once to Thailand for important docs< very quick secure, less than FedEx/DHL
It's very easy to produce a duplicate card for this scam, the sender would say that it had been lost or left behind and they were sending it on. It just had to look like the real thing. Remember in those days we didn't have apps or whatever. The genuine, active card was already with the receiver.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

I'm currently going through the same nightmare as this guy: post612436.html#p612436

I was planning to start up a new thread about this, but I am also trying to ship from the US. DHL says I have to go them, pay 16 USD for documents. Then print some more documents. Then go to customs at PP airport and give them the documentation and pay import fees.

And when I asked them to return it to the sender. They said, sure that takes 21 days and that will be 300 USD in processing fees.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Yeah,I believe I’m going to go with UPS, when my card is delivered to the company I have my mailing address at. Gonna pay, that’s for sure, but I think that’s my best option.
Last edited by Kenr on Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

If for some reason it couldn't be sent by USPS or DHL then I would use a PO box service like myus.com

Had one for years and years but recently use Cambo Quick for the customs swerve after being stung by dhl and post once too often

So, if you don't have a myus.com account then ask cambo quick if they will give you an address to send your card to stateside and let them ship it here. I think it might be something they do; it's in their line of work after all
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:48 am If for some reason it couldn't be sent by USPS or DHL then I would use a PO box service like myus.com

Had one for years and years but recently use Cambo Quick for the customs swerve after being stung by dhl and post once too often

So, if you don't have a myus.com account then ask cambo quick if they will give you an address to send your card to stateside and let them ship it here. I think it might be something they do; it's in their line of work after all
Sounds like a good idea, but my problem is I don't have an active credit card. So I have to go through the company I have a box at, Mail Boxes Plus, to ship it here.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Kenr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:57 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:48 am If for some reason it couldn't be sent by USPS or DHL then I would use a PO box service like myus.com

Sounds like a good idea, but my problem is I don't have an active credit card. So I have to go through the company I have a box at, Mail Boxes Plus, to ship it here.
Check out my post above and the post I'm linking to. Seems not many here has had this experience. Might be a new thing
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

hmph wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:03 am
Kenr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:57 am

Check out my post above and the post I'm linking to. Seems not many here has had this experience. Might be a new thing
Yes sir I did read it. But I am sending credit card, which DHL and FedEx state on their website they will not ship, I don't have many options.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Kenr wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:09 am
Yes sir I did read it. But I am sending credit card, which DHL and FedEx state on their website they will not ship, I don't have many options.
Ah sorry for hijacking the thread then. Is it a family member sending it? You can just declare it as something else. And hide it in something to be on the safe side if they open it.

Incidently have a friend that had the same problem. He called his US bank and they shipped it here. Although the package got lost.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic