Traveling and crossing borders with a bicycle

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Traveling and crossing borders with a bicycle

Post by Ryan754326 »

I’m looking at ordering an e-bike from China. I can save over $100 by shipping it to Vietnam rather than Cambodia, which would work out well, since I’ll be in Vietnam around the time it would arrive.
Can I just put it on the bus and bring it back to Cambodia with me, or is it more complicated than that?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Traveling and crossing borders with a bicycle

Post by Bluenose »

Ryan754326 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:44 am I’m looking at ordering an e-bike from China. I can save over $100 by shipping it to Vietnam rather than Cambodia, which would work out well, since I’ll be in Vietnam around the time it would arrive.
Can I just put it on the bus and bring it back to Cambodia with me, or is it more complicated than that?
Before you think about getting it into Cambodia (ask the bus company directly), have you checked what the process is for clearing Customs when the e-bike arrives in Vietnam?
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

I'd say theres a high probability that getting it to Vietnam is not straightforward. They'll tax it at at a very high rate, this tax is not the senders responsibility.

If all goes well & you get it into Vietnam then yes very easy to send to Cambodia. Use Danh Danh bus, they know the score & are very competant.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Did a quick check, if it comes under HS code 8711.60.** which seems to be the correct classification you will have to pay 82.5% duty plus 10% VAT to get it out of Customs in Vietnam, so total 100.75%. That compares to 32.825% in Cambodia.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:56 am Did a quick check, if it comes under HS code 8711.60.** which seems to be the correct classification you will have to pay 82.5% duty plus 10% VAT to get it out of Customs in Vietnam, so total 100.75%. That compares to 32.825% in Cambodia.
BTW, I agree, Danh Danh are good
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Bluenose wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:56 am Did a quick check, if it comes under HS code 8711.60.** which seems to be the correct classification you will have to pay 82.5% duty plus 10% VAT to get it out of Customs in Vietnam, so total 100.75%. That compares to 32.825% in Cambodia.
Thanks for this info. My next step was to look at the import duties and other taxes, but I thought I’d ask the question first, since I already have a bicycle here that I might want to bring to Vietnam with me, if I decide against buying the e-bike.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic