Registering to vote in the UK while residing in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Registering to vote in the UK while residing in Cambodia

Post by IraHayes »

While resident in the UK I never missed a vote in the local or national elections. I even stood as an independent in the local council elections once. But, I digress.
Anyway, after 13 years here (2 passport renewal's!) I decided it was time, and also, given the piss-poor state of the UK atm, to vote as a UK citizen living abroad.

The online process to register is still awaiting approval from the council whose area I gave to vote in and once that is finalised I will be eligible to vote whilst living in Cambodia.
The approval process was almost a disaster as I thought i had forgotten my NI number but for some reason it popped right back after a moment or 2. I remember having to use it a lot back when I was registered as self employed/sole trader and it must have stuck somewhere inside the old grey matter.
Luckily I renewed my drivers license back in 2017 when i popped back to Blighty so with that, my NI number and my passport it took less than 30 minutes to submit the request to be added to the electoral register.

After submitting I wondered if others here have bothered to go through the process or maybe people have washed their hands of their home country.
So where do you all stand on the issue of voting in your native countries elections whilst residing in Cambodia?
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: Registering to vote in the UK while residing in Cambodia

Post by YaTingPom »

I did it but not as an overseas citizen, why would you want to give "them" that info?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

YaTingPom wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:47 am I did it but not as an overseas citizen, why would you want to give "them" that info?
As if they don't know....
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

So are you registering as an overseas voter or pretending you live in the UK?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:52 am
YaTingPom wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:47 am I did it but not as an overseas citizen, why would you want to give "them" that info?
They don't. There are at least 17000 asylum seekers that have abandoned their claims and the Home Office have no idea where they are. In reality, they have lost control of many more. The notion they know where dear old Ira Hayes lives is for the birds.

Never underestimate the incompetence of HMG.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... in-britain
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:52 am
They don't. There are at least 17000 asylum seekers that have abandoned their claims and the Home Office have no idea where they are. In reality, they have lost control of many more. The notion they know where dear old Ira Hayes lives is for the birds.

Assuming dear old Ira Hayes has been a tax payer in the past, and assuming 13 years ago he quit being that, I assume the Greedy Royal Government will be aware of his overseas status.
Last edited by Kammekor on Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:58 am

Assuming dear old Ira Hayes has been a tax payer in the past, and assuming 13 years ago some day he quit being that, I assume the Greedy Royal Government will be aware of his overseas status.
That's assuming he updated his tax requirements.

My comment was tongue in cheek.
I would not have thought HMRC would be linked to the flight data information, voter registration, and passport data?
Maybe it is one big super computer. They are monitoring this site!
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Assuming dear old Ira Hayes has been a tax payer in the past, and assuming 13 years ago some day he quit being that, I assume the Greedy Royal Government will be aware of his overseas status.
They are pretty incompetent at the old HMRC. I have to remind them nearly every year of my overseas status and they still want me to submit self employed tax returns. They seem to forget from year to year. Last year I applied, by post, to pay my national insurance by direct debit, and 10 months later they replied to say that it’s now set up.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

They admitted some years ago that they have no idea where previous illegal immigrants are, UK Border Force do not have exit checks. They simply do not keep count or have exit data, people just leave. Unless they are secretly compiling flight manifests with your name and passport number and seeing when you left and returned, they haven't got a clue. If they were interested they would make you scan out, but they don't. They have watch lists for wanted criminals, KBG staff going 'on holiday etc and no-fly lists, but that's about it. If you're a bad egg and are not on their lists, you're fine.

I suspect Ira Hayes has simply disappeared from the system. The NHS doctor and dentist will eventually de-register you, your place on a council tax register will disappear, and your credit file will become inactive. No more tax payments in or social security payments out. If anyone here is relying on non-resident status while they are here, you should keep all travel records and old passports showing where you are. If you move back and go back on the system, you ought to be able to prove where you have been, and more importantly, that you haven't been working off the books in the UK.

The UK Border Force admitted recently that some asylum seekers were actually going home to visit their families at Christmas. Talk about taking the piss. This has been going on for years and if they collected exit data the claimants would not be doing it. But they are, because they know the system is wide open. HMG also give France £500,000,000 (yes, half a BILLION) a year to stop the small boats leaving France, which is obviously money well spent!

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/migrants-app ... christmas/
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Doc is probably right with the whole "dropping" off the system. My passport was renewed 6 months ago so I guess they have no interest in me.
And really... people worrying about their governments knowing where they are. IF they wanted to know where you are they would just run your passport, credit and bank records..... but seriously ... they don't care about you. You are not that important.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic