Books bans plague America

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Books bans plague America

Post by orichá »

I read all those books, and Burroughs Naked Lunch by 16... And de Sade later... Paul Bowles is a truly great writer. So are most of the writers of the classics taken from classroom libraries in Florida. This book-banning is all childish intellectual demagoguery of the lowest, lowest order... It just insults the intelligence of everyone and repels imagination and creativity.

{An aside: I was disappointed when I found out later what a stupid gun-nut William Burroughs was: he "accidentally" shot and killed his wife when he dropped a pistol on a table and it went off. Because he was a spoiled rich kid (scion grandson of the inventor who founded the Burroughs Corporation) he only got a two-year suspended sentence... Only a few years ago I learned that Burroughs was a Scientologist for many years. A complete wacko, yet that's so typically American, of course...}
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

orichá wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:39 pm I was disappointed when I found out later what a stupid gun-nut William Burroughs was
So his pedophilia and heroin use didn't bother you, but his interest in firearms did? That checks out.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Gay, Misogynistic and Racist, but i dont recall anything to do with kids
great writer

most of Bowles work is set in North africa and another must read author
Friend of mine, also a writer ( Jeff Greenwald) met him while he was living in Tangiers>
said he was a great host
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:52 pm
Roryborealis wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:09 pm Doesn't appropriateness depend on the ages of the students in question?

For example, Mark Twain's salty language in Huckleberry Finn might come off nasty and harsh to a six year old, but not so much to a high school student who's already familiar with gangsta rap and trashy-ass memes and shit.
To be fair, I was reading Mark Twain at age 6 & it was just folksy stuff. Us 6 year old farm kids had pretty agricultural language already from our peers/environment
Good point, rural and urban reading patterns for kids may differ. Depends where you live. Who needs internet when you've got a lively peer group?

Learning of William S. Burroughs's "dangerous" prose only made me want to read him more. I understand that he's not everyone's cup of tea, and that he may scare kids. I totally get that. But goddamn that man could write.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

orichá wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:39 pm

{An aside: I was disappointed when I found out later what a stupid gun-nut William Burroughs was: he "accidentally" shot and killed his wife when he dropped a pistol on a table and it went off. Because he was a spoiled rich kid (scion grandson of the inventor who founded the Burroughs Corporation) he only got a two-year suspended sentence... Only a few years ago I learned that Burroughs was a Scientologist for many years. A complete wacko, yet that's so typically American, of course...}
That's not what happened. He had his wife, Joan, put an apple on her head to do a "William Tell" style trick. He missed Andy hit her square between the eyes. Their son witnessed it. It was in Mexico and he managed to get bail and skip the country.
He wasn't a Scientologist, he was just interested in some of their techniques and machines.
Years later himself, Ginsberg and others lived in Tangiers where they enjoyed fucking teenage boys. His son came to stay at one stage and his friends were trying to fuck him. William Burroughs Jr died very young.
Most of those "beat" writers were depraved trust fund kids.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:34 pm

That's not what happened. He had his wife, Joan, put an apple on her head to do a "William Tell" style trick. He missed Andy hit her square between the eyes. Their son witnessed it. It was in Mexico and he managed to get bail and skip the country.
He wasn't a Scientologist, he was just interested in some of their techniques and machines.
Years later himself, Ginsberg and others lived in Tangiers where they enjoyed fucking teenage boys. His son came to stay at one stage and his friends were trying to fuck him. William Burroughs Jr died very young.
Most of those "beat" writers were depraved trust fund kids.
Hmm, some context behind what they wrote. Some literary blowbags have opined that the Beats' privileged status fueled their rebellion, but I'm not sure I buy that interpretation. Not exactly bootstrappers, in any case. Reading of their messy, dramatic lives is often more interesting than some of their polished, published work.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kerouac & Ferlinghetti ( many consider him a beat poet, but he doesn't ) were not privileged :-)
Bowles was middle class
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:34 pm

Oh well, who knows what happened: the Wikipedia entry says the William Tell story is a fable.

As for Scientology, according to a recent biography by an author who happens to live in Kampot and with whom I chatted on the subject two years ago in Siem Reap, Burroughs was a member of Scientology.

Sad his kid died. Didn't know he had any...

Last edited by orichá on Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:37 am Kerouac & Ferlinghetti ( many consider him a beat poet, but he doesn't ) were not privileged :-)
Bowles was middle class
Kerouac and Kesey were also decent novelists.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

These parents are worried that their children are going to be corrupted by the influence of books. Are they going to put their children in bubbles so they can only interact with a cultivated portion of the population. They want to control the uncontrollable. IMHO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic