Books bans plague America

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Books bans plague America

Post by Kenr »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:34 pm
It looks like all they are doing is "protecting" them from being able to learn how to think for themselves!
No, these books are just indoctrinating young people into the modern theocracy of multiculturalism.

The general canon:
-White people are bad.
-Chop off your penis.
-Dangerous sexual practices.
(Not necessarily in the above order. Lol)

Not impressed and I can see why parents are organizing against these books being used in classrooms. They push a very anti-social and destructive ideology.
This has nothing to do with classrooms, these books are being pulled from school libraries.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:05 pm Madame Bovary is on the list, and banned, a novel from 1857.
Yeah, I caught that. Themes of infidelity?
Neve read it. Ask Carmela Soprano. She read it.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It’s funny that the book that indoctrinates and causes the most harm, The Bible, is allowed in Florida and Texas school libraries.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

its that god dam DeSantis!!! fucking republicans out again thinkin they can fix the world

look thru these lists, theres to many people with WAY to much time on their hands
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/more ... y-16817328

briefly looking over the lists, most of the authors, i have never heard of
some i have : Margaret Atwood, Ian Thorne, James Patterson

some I would think should be on the list for kids under 16
Ginsburg, Burroughs, Paul Bowles, Bukowski

I for one, am glad there parents, legislators out there looking after kids and making sure that they only can read what their fucked up parents seem to think is ok:

Florida school districts are banning books that parents object to for a number of reasons, most of which include the following themes:

48%: Percentage of banned books that dealt with violence or physical abuse, including books that include sexual assault
42%: Percentage of banned books that cover topics on health and wellbeing, including mental health, bullying, suicide, substance abuse, sexual wellbeing and puberty
33%: Percentage of books banned that detail sexual experiences between characters
30%: Percentage of banned books that included characters of color and themes of race and racism
30%: Percentage of banned books that included representations of LGBTQ+ identities
29%: Percentage of book bans that include instances or themes of grief and death
6%: Percentage of banned books that included a transgender character

this was a great book; The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini but pending being banned
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:45 pm some I would think should be on the list for kids under 16
Really? For kids?
I have read three out of four of those authors.
Ginsburg-pedophile
Burroughs-pedophile and junkie (I confess I liked several of his novels.)
Bukowski-alcoholic loser (Sometimes entertaining.)

Should kids be assigned de Sade, too?
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

:ROFL: :dragonchase:

If it weren't for the "adult" literature that I read between the ages of 12 and 18, I would not have written a word of poetry, fiction or theatre...

I read Madame Bovary when I was 14 and by 15 Rimbaud and Baudelaire, too. I also read Ginsburg, Kerouac and Lowry at that age, or before 16 anyway... I read 1984 when I was 13 and the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings starting around age 12... It didn't hurt me. (The books that made my dad angry when he saw me reading them were trashy action-thrillers like by Ludlum or Clancy and also the biography of Hitler.)

Back in those days, in the 70s, there were actually bookstores where you could find real literature of all kinds including novels by Sartre, poetry by Rimbaud and even Bukowski, too. It didn't occur to anyone to protect children from those books, lol...

Brainless bullies like DeSantis, et al are imposing their ignorance on the rest of society. But, I guess that's the "cultural landscape" in America today: hostile to imagination, narrow-minded & parochial!

No book should ever be banned. Least, not for any imaginary "moral" or "religious" reason.

It's when you do not read, or cannot read, or are forbidden to read that you will never ever learn to think and decide for yourself what the world is about, and what is right or wrong!

Finally, it is interesting (and scary) that these book-banning idiots think it's okay to remove books on racial or sexual topics, but it's fine and dandy to sell Guns and Ammo, both the magazine and the real ones made of nickel and steel... I hear the doinks in Texasss are permitted to carry pistols in holsters on their hips into public places like Walmart.....

Going backwards in time and mind! That's America!!!

%) :crazy: :P
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Amazons removes or de-lists books it doesn't like. The following titles are no longer available on the Amazon site.

Why?
imaginary "moral" or "religious" reason[s]
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

These books aren’t being banned. Any parent who wants their child to read them can still buy a copy, or get one from a public library.

They’re being pulled from classrooms because they “could” contain content that is considered inappropriate under new laws, and those in charge are erring on the side of caution to cover their own asses. The article says that once they are reviewed by a higher power, many of them will probably be returned to the shelves.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Big Daikon wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:15 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:45 pm some I would think should be on the list for kids under 16
Really? For kids?
Ginsburg-pedophile

meaning on the list of BANNED :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:43 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:15 pm
Really? For kids?
Ginsburg-pedophile

meaning on the list of BANNED :beer3:
Oopsie! :beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic