Australian renting apartment Siem Reap question

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
VitaSapien
Tourist
Australia

Australian renting apartment Siem Reap question

Post by VitaSapien »

Hi Folks
I'm planning to visit Siem Reap / Angkor Wat etc but now thinking, hey, maybe I'll rent an apartment for six months...
I'm Australian. Can i do that?
Guy Lane
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Australian renting apartment Siem Reap question

Post by Bluenose »

Yes.
Renting an apartment is easy, you can move in same day if you want to. Some landlords might want to see you have a visa so you'll need to get that sorted, other threads on here about that.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I'm pretty sure rules are different for Australians, if they can rent at all.

I'd be sure to check with the local bar owners, all of them, before making any rash decisions.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Go for a month, then decide. You might want to try Phnom Penh too before making any decision for a 6 month period.

You must put down one month's rent as a security deposit. If they ask for more, such as 2 or 3 months, decline and move on. If you leave before the end of the contract you will lose that deposit, even if the property is a complete nightmare, is uninhabitable or surrounded by bars blaring out music until 1am. That's your choice to leave - your problem. So do your due diligence before signing.

If you leave at the end of the contract, try to use the deposit as the last month's rent - by agreement. If they don't agree, you are on notice that getting the deposit returned is going to be fun and games. The concept of 'refund' is anathema to Khmers.

Find out if you will have your own electric meter and will pay the power company directly. This is preferable. Many landlords charge a lot more than the KWh rates on the bill, and profit from that. In Phnom Penh the rate is about 720 per kWh (about USD 0.18) Landlords routinely charge 0.25 to 0.30 per kWh. This can get expensive if you like your Air conditioning.

Other than those potential hiccups, renting here is easy and the people are generally very nice. If you are polite and respectful to them, you pay in full and on time, and don't cause chaos they will be your new best friends.

Good luck.
Last edited by Doc67 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

VitaSapien wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 pm Hi Folks
I'm planning to visit Siem Reap / Angkor Wat etc but now thinking, hey, maybe I'll rent an apartment for six months...
Guy Lane
Yes, not a bother, very much a renters market there
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

^^^ Doc67 nails it all. I would add, try to pass by the place, if you can get the address before signing a contract, in late evening. Listen for loud music, raucous bars, crowing roosters and barking dogs. Having stayed in Siem Reap on numerous occasions, the place can be noisy, i.e., especially anywhere near Pub Street. << Stay far FAR away.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:39 am ^^^ Doc67 nails it all. I would add, try to pass by the place, if you can get the address before signing a contract, in late evening. Listen for loud music, raucous bars, crowing roosters and barking dogs. Having stayed in Siem Reap on numerous occasions, the place can be noisy, i.e., especially anywhere near Pub Street. << Stay far FAR away.
You should consider a service apartment because, just renting a flat or apartment you will need to buy a lot of articles that will stays behind when you leave. in Cambodia a plain apartment will be like a shell modestly furnished.
Boredom is like a shroud
TomDavid
Tourist

Post by TomDavid »

Personally I would recommend serviced apt or hotel. You can find good deals for month stay in most of them. Then you can explore different areas and see what you like best, and it’s about the same cost as having your own room assuming you not planning to rent $150/m flat.
I roamed in hotels for 2.5 months before moving to my own apt.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

VitaSapien wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:20 pm Hi Folks
Guy Lane
Despite being an Aussie there are still many things you will be allowed to do, and renting an apartment is one of them. Just try not to talk about cricket or rugby and you will be fine.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic