can you keep extending a visa every year?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

can you keep extending a visa every year?

Post by Zyzz »

i tried reading many threads on this and keep seeing different answers.

so i understand i get the e visa on arrival and then i can extend it thru an agency (ive been seeing cina here) . ive also been reading about needing a work permit. i dont really plan on working in cambodia but is this something i will also need to pay for?

as of right now ... i understand the future anything can change ... can i just keep paying for a visa and/or work permit every year? is the work permit needed? can i just keep getting a visa extension without the work permit? also how much is each if just paying cash to have someone make it up for you?

i read one post about police coming to your residence to check but im not sure if the person was joking or not. is this something that can happen? what do you do in this situation? im sorry if these are stupid questions but im planning my move there and dont want to make any mistakes. thank you.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: can you keep extending a visa every year?

Post by Kammekor »

Zyzz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:24 am i tried reading many threads on this and keep seeing different answers.

so i understand i get the e visa on arrival and then i can extend it thru an agency (ive been seeing cina here) . ive also been reading about needing a work permit. i dont really plan on working in cambodia but is this something i will also need to pay for?
If you get an EB extension you will require additional documentation and pay for those. You could also choose an EG extension (looking for work) with less requirements but also less flexibility.
Zyzz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:24 am i read one post about police coming to your residence to check but im not sure if the person was joking or not. is this something that can happen? what do you do in this situation? im sorry if these are stupid questions but im planning my move there and dont want to make any mistakes. thank you.
In 13 years here immigration police visited me once to collect a copy of my visa. I agreed with them to bring them a copy of my (new) visa each year and they haven't been back since.
So it's definitely true in some cases.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

thanks for the quick response ... when i first went to cambodia a month ago i got the e visa online and at the airport the officer asked for an address where ill be staying which i didnt have. the woman (soon to be wife) i was staying with says she doesnt have a physical address which just doesnt make sense to me i even asked her this a few times with help of her friend who speaks english and she just answered with the area she was in, no physical address for the house. when i told the officer i didnt have an address he didnt even seem to care, he was more interested in asking me about the gym.

so if i dont have an address listed on the original visa i get from the airport, will one be listed on an extension?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Zyzz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:38 am thanks for the quick response ... when i first went to cambodia a month ago i got the e visa online and at the airport the officer asked for an address where ill be staying which i didnt have. the woman (soon to be wife) i was staying with says she doesnt have a physical address which just doesnt make sense to me i even asked her this a few times with help of her friend who speaks english and she just answered with the area she was in, no physical address for the house. when i told the officer i didnt have an address he didnt even seem to care, he was more interested in asking me about the gym.

so if i dont have an address listed on the original visa i get from the airport, will one be listed on an extension?
There are loads of places without an address, don't worry about it. All the houses in my village were given a number about five or six years ago, but they haven't maintained the system since. New buildings have been erected, others have been removed. None of the buildings in my village have a number on it, so..... Next time when you enter Cambodia just fill in the name of an hotel, or guesthouse, or the name of a town.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

My European bank just sends mail to Kampot with my phone number.

Whatever system they have here, it somehow works.

Unless you getting married or some other crazy stuff I would suggest don't sweat the details, Cambodia is probably the easiest country in the world to stay in and do your thing without issues.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Zyzz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:38 am thanks for the quick response ... when i first went to cambodia a month ago i got the e visa online and at the airport the officer asked for an address where ill be staying which i didnt have. the woman (soon to be wife) i <cut>
If you're legally married in Cambodia you can apply for an EB visa extension without extra documents required.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

thanks kammekor, thats what we will be working on and like i read about almost everything else in cam67y7bodia if youre willing to spend extra you can get just about anything done. i missed the part about getting extensions when married but i did read after being married for 3 years you can apply for citizenship ... guess i mixed something up.

last question, i read this somewhere else here. if you have a good amount of money saved i read it can be possible to get the retirement visa if youre underage ... ill be 37 next month. question is how much money would want to see you have saved up to grant this visa? guess im married i wont have to worry about this but im still curious, thanks.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Zyzz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:38 am thanks for the quick response ... when i first went to cambodia a month ago i got the e visa online and at the airport the officer asked for an address where ill be staying which i didnt have. the woman (soon to be wife) i was staying with says she doesnt have a physical address which just doesnt make sense to me i even asked her this a few times with help of her friend who speaks english and she just answered with the area she was in, no physical address for the house. when i told the officer i didnt have an address he didnt even seem to care, he was more interested in asking me about the gym.

You will need a proper address for your FPCS which you will need on EOS application. The agents should be able to help you with that. I assume you are under 55? If not, a retirement visa might be the one for you.

https://fpcs.immigration.gov.kh/login
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If you have an EB (Business) Extension of Stay it can be renewed indefinitely, as long as you have a Work Permit and the necessary supporting documentation....if you don't have a job or own a business then most Visa agents will sort you out for an additional fee of course.

If you have an ER (Retirement) EOS it can be renewed indefinitely, same as an ES (Student) EOS....if you meet the criteria for either.

EG (General) EOS is one time only, cannot be renewed and cannot change to any other EOS category. You can however leave the country, get a new E-type VOA and apply for a new 3 month EG EOS.

The EP (Proposal aka looking for work) EOS is also a 1 time inly deal...but you can apply for an EB EOS from an EP as long as you have necessary supporting documentation and WP.

Address isn't a big deal, you could put any address down on forms. The FPCS app needs to be done by your landlord/property owner, up to them to register an account for their property and check you in as a tenant/guest.

Reference getting the ER EOS if under 55, you must have an official Government document proving your Retirement/Pension Status and proof of sufficient funds/income.

Reference getting the EB EOS based in marriage, you must be legally married in Cambodia to be eligible, you need to have the Authorisation to Marry letters issued by the MoFAIC and MoI, and the official Marriage Certificate issued by the Sangkat.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Zyzz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:24 am i tried reading many threads on this and keep seeing different answers.

as of right now ... i understand the future anything can change ... can i just keep paying for a visa and/or work permit every year? is the work permit needed? can i just keep getting a visa extension without the work permit? also how much is each if just paying cash to have someone make it up for you?

i read one post about police coming to your residence to check but im not sure if the person was joking or not. is this something that can happen? what do you do in this situation? im sorry if these are stupid questions but im planning my move there and dont want to make any mistakes. thank you.
You're new to Cambodia and you already have plans to marry? Just checking I understood this right.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic