Best meal for 25 /12

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Best meal for 25 /12

Post by Tootsfriend »

As a non- believer, I don't celebrate Christmas or eat a Christmas dinner, and while many of you are scoffing down turkey or ham washed down with wine, whisky or beer, for the last 43 years on this day, I have used this day 25 / 12 , as a day to remember of what my life was like as a kid with no food in the cupboard, and a can of baked beans was a luxurious meal, and again in 1980 , the low part of my life, when my life was at the bottom of the barrel and through sheer willpower and good luck I managed to get back on track with my life. It is also to keep reminding me of the many unfortunate people in this world who struggle through life to have one meal a day.

Same meal every year on 25 / 12
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Best meal for 25 /12

Post by Chuck Borris »

Would eat beans any day over turkey, the most boring meat.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Chuck Borris wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:48 pm Would eat beans any day over turkey, the most boring meat.
Cooked badly, yes.

Anything cooked badly is boring- it seemed to be the foundation of Irish home cooking as a kid.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

"Best meal" seems a bit much of a melodrama
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:15 pm As a non- believer, I don't celebrate Christmas or eat a Christmas dinner, and while many of you are scoffing down turkey or ham washed down with wine, whisky or beer, for the last 43 years on this day, I have used this day 25 / 12 , as a day to remember of what my life was like as a kid with no food in the cupboard, and a can of baked beans was a luxurious meal, and again in 1980 , the low part of my life, when my life was at the bottom of the barrel and through sheer willpower and good luck I managed to get back on track with my life. It is also to keep reminding me of the many unfortunate people in this world who struggle through life to have one meal a day.

I normally cook an Indian or a Thai Curry on Christmas Day I can’t stand all the faffing about with turkey?

Anyway today it’s Thai and a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Rose Champagne to wash it all down with!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Earl of Mercia wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:22 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:15 pm As a non- believer, I don't celebrate Christmas or eat a Christmas dinner, and while many of you are scoffing down turkey or ham washed down with wine, whisky or beer, for the last 43 years on this day, I have used this day 25 / 12 , as a day to remember of what my life was like as a kid with no food in the cupboard, and a can of baked beans was a luxurious meal, and again in 1980 , the low part of my life, when my life was at the bottom of the barrel and through sheer willpower and good luck I managed to get back on track with my life. It is also to keep reminding me of the many unfortunate people in this world who struggle through life to have one meal a day.

I normally cook an Indian or a Thai Curry on Christmas Day I can’t stand all the faffing about with turkey?

Anyway today it’s Thai and a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Rose Champagne to wash it all down with!
After stuffing ourselves with typical Khmer foods at the wedding ... we got home and I whipped up some black bean huevos rancheros with all the trimmings.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I cooked a pot of Alfredo for the fam from scratch

Cheap, simple and delicious

The alternative would have involved hundreds of dollars for probably wetherspoon quality xmas dinner at some bar in town which isn't justifiable

Next year in my home nation they can have the real and homecooked xmas deal; Turkey, Goose, Side of ham, a few chickens, potatoes several ways and lashings of sides and desserts. That stuff's better suited to the temperate zones than the tropics
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:38 am I cooked a pot of Alfredo for the fam from scratch

Cheap, simple and delicious

The alternative would have involved hundreds of dollars for probably wetherspoon quality xmas dinner at some bar in town which isn't justifiable

Next year in my home nation they can have the real and homecooked xmas deal; Turkey, Goose, Side of ham, a few chickens, potatoes several ways and lashings of sides and desserts. That stuff's better suited to the temperate zones than the tropics
That's true, although the weather hasn't been very tropical in Phnom Penh for the last few days. I've been eating cassoulet and lingering over the gas hob to get a bit of heat.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The only Christmas event I'm really looking forward to is today's Saint Stephen's Day binge, everything else was just warm-up .
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I went on 24th to Bouchon-bar on 174, its a bit "overpriced" to my useal standards, but who cares,its X-mas. They had a special 40 dollar menu, including a sparkling-wine welcome drink and a 3-course meal, including duck-breast stuffed with foie gras. Ad 2 Ricards and a bottle of Cote du rhone, and my bill was 68 dollars, probably my most expensive meal this year, but it was wearth it until the last drop !! To be on 24th it wasnt fully booked as it was 2 years ago, what surprised me !!
And as useally i had my super-de-luxe extra desert around 2 am for stunning 10000 riel !!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic