Do you have health insurance

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you live in Cambodia and have medical health insurance?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:58 pm

Yes, I have fully comprehensive health cover which covers me for pretty much everything.
24%
I have something between this one ↑ and that one ↓
11%
Yes, I have mid-tier health insurance that covers me for the emergencies, and most things as far as I know, including evacuation.
27%
3%
Yes, I have health insurance which covers me for the basic emergencies. No evacuation to another country but will pay for me to return home
No votes
No votes
Yes, I have health insurance which covers me only for the very basic of emergencies. No option of evacuation.
No votes
No, I don't have any health insurance. I'm quite sure I can self-insure if the worst comes to the worst.
16%
I don't have any health insurance and I would be unable to take care of any emergency situations.
14%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 37
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Do you have health insurance

Post by xandreu »

I'm interested to know the state of medical health insurance in Cambodia amongst expats.

As far as I know, these polls are anonymous (aren't they?) so don't be shy or embarrassed to give an honest answer.

Please only reply if you reside in Cambodia either all or most of the time.

Thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Do you have health insurance

Post by Jerry Atrick »

No

I'm only ever insured when a company insures me and have not been employed by a company for a few years

If I'm ever ill enough or badly injured enough to need health insurance I'd prob be better off dead anyhow

In fact - the one time I did have and needed health insurance they refused to pay shit- zilch - on the grounds that I wasn't liable and that it would have to come from the other parties insurance - which it did half a decade later during which time I was being harassed by debt collectors for a large six figure sum for my rebuilding/surgeries
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:47 pm No

I'm only ever insured when a company insures me and have not been employed by a company for a few years

If I'm ever ill enough or badly injured enough to need health insurance I'd prob be better off dead anyhow

In fact - the one time I did have and needed health insurance they refused to pay shit- zilch - on the grounds that I wasn't liable and that it would have to come from the other parties insurance - which it did half a decade later during which time I was being harassed by debt collectors for a large six figure sum for my rebuilding/surgeries
Forgot to add the 'I have health insurance through my company' option.

There's always something... :facepalm:
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Company pays for me. If it didn't, I'd drink a few beers less and still get insurance. Costs can rack up if anything happens.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Health insurance is a great idea. However, I doubt they would pay out for all the bullshit charges the hospitals will try to extract from you, and the insurance companies will see through them all very quickly. If you have paid out and a relying on the insurance company to reimburse, I suspect you would get a hard "NO" for many items.

I would be interested in hearing about anyone making a large claim for treatment here, and how the insurance company treated the claim.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:59 am Health insurance is a great idea. However, I doubt they would pay out for all the bullshit charges the hospitals will try to extract from you, and the insurance companies will see through them all very quickly. If you have paid out and a relying on the insurance company to reimburse, I suspect you would get a hard "NO" for many items.

I would be interested in hearing about anyone making a large claim for treatment here, and how the insurance company treated the claim.
Knock on wood, I have not been really ill. I do have problems with my knees and went to visit a rather expensive private clinic. Amongst other staff, I got medication for a few hundred Dollars. Basically supplements, but the insurance paid without hesitation.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

My employer reimburses me for the insurance I have through a UK company
finn
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by finn »

better question would be what insurance here is of real value (even if khmer hospitals only) and what are typical costs? Any regional to SEA? Many with insurance in their own country find it is unusable here even though you have to keep making the payments to stay 'eligible.'
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

I use Travel Medical with 7Corners, US only, requires me to be in the USA for one month out of the year, they are fair with claims.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

finn wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:28 pm better question would be what insurance here is of real value (even if khmer hospitals only) and what are typical costs? Any regional to SEA? Many with insurance in their own country find it is unusable here even though you have to keep making the payments to stay 'eligible.'
I’ve never had an insurance claim denied in many years living abroad, that’s using multiple insurers over the years.
Research your insurer, Understand your policy, what is covered, what is not, what invalidates cover, what needs to be preadvised…. Use a reputable broker if you can’t get your head around it yourself. Have all docs in order.
Insurance has been of real value to me and my family.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic