Do you have health insurance

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you live in Cambodia and have medical health insurance?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:58 pm

Yes, I have fully comprehensive health cover which covers me for pretty much everything.
24%
I have something between this one ↑ and that one ↓
11%
Yes, I have mid-tier health insurance that covers me for the emergencies, and most things as far as I know, including evacuation.
27%
3%
Yes, I have health insurance which covers me for the basic emergencies. No evacuation to another country but will pay for me to return home
No votes
No votes
Yes, I have health insurance which covers me only for the very basic of emergencies. No option of evacuation.
No votes
No, I don't have any health insurance. I'm quite sure I can self-insure if the worst comes to the worst.
16%
I don't have any health insurance and I would be unable to take care of any emergency situations.
14%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 37
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Do you have health insurance

Post by Albror »

Havnt had insurance since covid when i couldnt renew it due to government advicing not to travel and then i just didnt think about it.

Used Erv.se, think they are also available in some other countries. I dont live in Sweden but i still used their travel insurance and renewed it every 6 months. Cost me about 30$ per month and havnt had any problems with them paying out. After 2 years with them i got my money back as i ended up in a emergency room with a 700$ bill in Bangkok.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

I checked 'other', because I don't have any health insurance, and I think very few people could be quite sure that they could cover all costs if the worst came to the worst.

Arranging Medevac ? Long stays in Bumrungrad ? Arranging payment while incapacitated or in a coma ?

That said I have accumulated an emergency fund of about $100k from not buying insurance over the years I've been here.

But it's never a sure thing. Case in point the Frenchman who recently was hospitalised with serious injuries here but unable to sell 'his' house and land in Kampot to cover the costs as his partner refused to co-sign

Londonmail
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Londonmail »

I got travel insurance with my bank,

To be told pay first and claim back later...

Luckily it wasn't a huge bill but if it was I would have been funked I'm sure...

So make sure you check the policy and make sure its worth the paper it's written on.

Maybe they will reimburse me, or maybe there find a technical reason not to. Its 900$ but its more the principle of paying extra for the insurance monthly..

Will see
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I had insurance through my employer, wasn’t cheap but they paid out $100k plus including a medivac to Thailand.

When I didn’t have that I arranged for emergency coverage high deductible that I didn’t need to use.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

An acquaintance had a serious illness but luckily (?) had good health insurance which paid for him to go to Thailand where they saved his life but he had his legs amputated - all covered by the insurance. In his late 60's. Now sits in his apartment in a wheelchair, needs assistance to wipe his *rse. Me? I would have rather taken the big sleep. No insurance seems like a good option unless you are young and fit and plan on another 40 odd years on the planet. In my social circle 5 years seems like a good deal.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I'm with SafetyNet which is great until I turn 60, then not sure what I'll do.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Health insurance isn't just about getting medical bills covered when shit goes south, it also about preventative treatments and regular health checks...that is unless you have made the decision to just let your health deteriorate until you simply drop.

Sure, you will read horror stories of claims not getting paid. It's the old adage people only bleat about stuff when it goes wrong (bad services etc). Not many jump on and say "hey, my health insurance claim got paid". BTW, claim ratios from decent health insurance companies are in the 75% - 90% range.

If anyone has made the conscious decision not to be covered, that's their choice I guess. There is always gofundme, which is where most of these people shamelessly end up going.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Stravaiger wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:51 pm That said I have accumulated an emergency fund of about $100k from not buying insurance over the years I've been here.
Not sure how you can put $100k aside by not buying an insurance - I would need to get 100 years old uninsured to get there (OK, after Covid they increased the annual fees, but still I would need 80something years). If you exclude stays in America, a good health insurance is actually not that expensive. I already had some claims like when I had Dengue or a broken toe - no questions, no issues here at all. OK, they don't pay for having a cold or cancer screenings and stuff like that, but if I would chose a policy that includes this as well, I would pay more than going to Bangkok Hospital and pay by myself for a round of cancer screenings each year (and this is exactly what I do every March/April)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

ressl wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:49 pm
Stravaiger wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:51 pm That said I have accumulated an emergency fund of about $100k from not buying insurance over the years I've been here.
Not sure how you can put $100k aside by not buying an insurance - I would need to get 100 years old uninsured to get there (OK, after Covid they increased the annual fees, but still I would need 80something years). If you exclude stays in America, a good health insurance is actually not that expensive. I already had some claims like when I had Dengue or a broken toe - no questions, no issues here at all. OK, they don't pay for having a cold or cancer screenings and stuff like that, but if I would chose a policy that includes this as well, I would pay more than going to Bangkok Hospital and pay by myself for a round of cancer screenings each year (and this is exactly what I do every March/April)
You may not have made sufficient allowance for how dramatically medical insurance costs escalate as we age. 25 years ago my premiums would have been modest. They are prohibitive now, and although I could use my savings to pay for them the clauses excluding pre-existing conditions make them poor value. Inevitably we also accumulate ailments.

I should add that I've spent around $30k on healthcare over that period. Whatever the exact figures, I've been 'lucky' inasmuch as I've spent far less than I would have on insurance.

It's a personal risk/reward decision.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:58 pm
As far as I know, these polls are anonymous (aren't they?) so don't be shy or embarrassed to give an honest answer.
As far as I know, there's no way for us with moderator superpowers to see the results, but there must be some file somewhere that logs it, as the system doesn't allow you to vote twice, so it has some sort of 'memory' of who voted at least.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic