Burgled on wedding eve

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Burgled on wedding eve

Post by khmerhamster »

newkidontheblock wrote: In SE Asia flooding is guaranteed. Not one or two houses, but everyone. Multiple times a year.
And this would be very much not true.
In over ten years living here, in multiple houses, my house has never been flooded. I know plenty of people have, but your statement is just silly.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:32 am
newkidontheblock wrote: In SE Asia flooding is guaranteed. Not one or two houses, but everyone. Multiple times a year.
And this would be very much not true.
In over ten years living here, in multiple houses, my house has never been flooded. I know plenty of people have, but your statement is just silly.
Would that be third or fourth floor and below?

I’ve lived in Bali,Bangkok,Chiang Mai,Phuket,Shanghai,Beijing,Cebu,Manila,Jakarta,Kuala Lumpur,Saigon and Phnom Penh actually mainly in houses and have NEVER been flooded?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:15 am In SE Asia flooding is guaranteed. Not one or two houses, but everyone. Multiple times a year.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:15 am In SE Asia flooding is guaranteed. Not one or two houses, but everyone. Multiple times a year.
It’s a great construction choice question.

Why choose to build in concrete - a material more difficult to work with, more difficult to modify over wood?

It apparently floods in Phnom Penh, judging from photos and news reports. Some houses are even raised and built on stilts.

Apparently all this is done because it never floods anywhere in Cambodia, as one poster claims based on where he lives.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:29 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote:

Why choose to build in concrete - a material more difficult to work with, more difficult to modify over wood?

It apparently floods in Phnom Penh, judging from photos and news reports. Some houses are even raised and built on stilts.

Apparently all this is done because it never floods anywhere in Cambodia, as one poster claims based on where he lives.
The traditional raised houses are not built like that because of flooding. It’s to provide a cool(er) shaded, semi open air living space on ground floor.
I would guess (and it is very much a guess) it could be because of the prevalence of wood termites here. And having seen the damage they can do very quickly I can see the logic.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:

YOU claim flooding is guaranteed for every houses, multiple times a year, claims based on where you don't live. Untrue.
Of course some places are regularly flooded during the rainy season (especially september-october), but most of us living in Cambodia don't face flood at all.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

The Friday Fantasist strikes again.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Those stilted houses are not built in the city anymore. Back at the start of the French Protectorate there were some devastating fires in the city and wooden houses were not allowed to be built in the central area for many decades.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That's a pretty insane generalization, considering that I've lived in Bangkok since 2006 and my house has never been flooded in that time. Not once, not multiple times, certainly not multiple times a year. Not once. There was ONE close call during those 17 years, in 2011 when we had severe flooding in many parts of Thailand.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Razor wire is complete ... I am gonna hold off on the claymores for now ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic