Return v. One-Way Airfares

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Return v. One-Way Airfares

Post by Doc67 »

I have been noticing there is virtually no difference between many return fares and two separate one-way bookings. When did this begin? It was always cheaper to buy a return.

For example, I am looking at a flight to Bangkok in early January with a return 'about' 2 weeks later. I have no obligation to return on any specific date and I might well want to change it: I might be enjoying myself too much to return, or I might be bored and want to bail out, or I might want to go somewhere else for a quick visit and return via there (Penang is becoming extremely viable with the return to PNH at less than 1/3rd of any PNH-PEN trip).

If you are looking for flexibility in airfares, you can expect to pay through the nose for it. With base price non-flexible fares, any changes to return flight dates always attract a date change fee plus the fare difference, and this fare difference can be substantial the closer you get to the date of travel and until you ask, you have no way to predict it. I have noticed the BS offer of FREE date changes masquerading as the 'flexible' option, but that fare change extra is always in the background.

With no incentive to book return flights, if you are flexible as to your return dates, then it might be worth considering booking one way and having the flexibility element of a return date for free. Fpr BKK-PNH, some of the next-day fares are very similar to the longer dated bookings.

For example, BKK to PNH tomorrow (22nd December) on VietJet is $54. BKK to PNH on 18th January with VietJet is $53. Even if it costs you $10 more for a 'last-minute' booking, that is way cheaper than changing a date or just tossing the return leg and booking a fresh one (done that a few times) because you can't tear yourself away from you new 50kg friend from Pattaya.

Another benefit of splitting the bookings is you can book a return fare with a baggage included airline if you are going to do some shopping while away. Tomorrow's $54 flight from BKK to PNH is with Viet Jet (through e-Dreams) If you want some checked baggage for your shopping spree, a 15kg bag with cost you.....$52.50!

However, If you book your return with Sky Anchor Airlines (again, through e-Dreams) the fare is $66 but you get
40KG
in free checked baggage. Imagine what goodies you can import, duty-free and for just $12 in shipping costs...

The takeaway here is just because you will return at some point, you don't need to commit to any date of return a month before you leave and pay your outbound airline in advance for boxing yourself into a return date.

Please don't tell me you've all been doing this for years... :oops:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Return v. One-Way Airfares

Post by Freightdog »

It depends on the airline, but generally, I book one way for a multitude of reasons, such as I’ve rarely got a firm return date, or I know I’m probably going to be somewhere else in the interim. Or someone else is picking up the tab, later.
The annoyance for me, though, is managing baggage allowances when mixing companies and regions. I’ve often had more baggage returning than on the outbound. Usually, kids presents or more Hawaiian shirts.
I personally think it’s an archaic approach having a return ticket be much cheaper than two one-way tickets.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I have never booked a return flight . I like to have the flexibility of a return date and besides that I have noticed that often the ticket you pay for 2 , 3 or 4 months in advance can often be bought much cheaper if you buy it one week or so before you fly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i've always found from the past few years flying ( pre covid) in and around SE asia, you seldom find a return less than booking 2 1 ways.
its a different story flying in and out of the states thou

only book return if i know 100% the date i want come back an than its not for saving$$$, but convenience

U need be careful now flying into Thailand and going for the visa exempt as some ( air asia asks for sure) often asks for a return or flight out within 30 days
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:55 am It depends on the airline, but generally, I book one way for a multitude of reasons, such as I’ve rarely got a firm return date, or I know I’m probably going to be somewhere else in the interim. Or someone else is picking up the tab, later.
The annoyance for me, though, is managing baggage allowances when mixing companies and regions. I’ve often had more baggage returning than on the outbound. Usually, kids presents or more Hawaiian shirts.
I personally think it’s an archaic approach having a return ticket be much cheaper than two one-way tickets.
I booked my flight, one way. I quite like the feeling of a no-fixed-return date. Must check Thailand's policy on letting me in with a one-way and no onward ticket.... whoops....
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s been a while, but I think/probably I mostly had one way tickets arriving into Thailand because the visit was rarely for a specific duration. But then, I was always flying in and out from another Asian country. The one time that I do recall having return tickets, the airline had technical problems, and we ended up staying another two days.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:23 pm i've always found from the past few years flying ( pre covid) in and around SE asia, you seldom find a return less than booking 2 1 ways.

only book return if i know 100% the date i want come back an than its not for saving$$$, but convenience

U need be careful now flying into Thailand and going for the visa exempt as some ( air asia asks for sure) often asks for a return or flight out within 30 days
I am flying with Sky Anchor. I didn't think of the exit flight. I genuinely don't know how the trip is going to pan out. I am doing 4 days in BKK, then ~5 days in Pattaya, back to BKK and then, maybe, a one-way to Penang (and onto PP after), or maybe a return with a few more days in BKK and a bit of shopping. It will be more than 10 days and less the 20 days and might involve leaving and returning again from a 3rd country. I don't suppose this vagueness will go down well at check in.

What's the name of that spoof site for onward tickets?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:45 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:55 am It depends on the airline, but generally, I book one way for a multitude of reasons, such as I’ve rarely got a firm return date, or I know I’m probably going to be somewhere else in the interim. Or someone else is picking up the tab, later.
I booked my flight, one way. I quite like the feeling of a no-fixed-return date. Must check Thailand's policy on letting me in with a one-way and no onward ticket.... whoops....
I wouldn’t worry about Thailand immigration, it’s the airline you are flying with that you may/may not have an issue with it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:45 pm
I have never been asked for a return / onward ticket by Thai immigration. It's the airline staff at Pochentong asking for it and letting you buy one on the spot if you can not show enough cash.
I usually flash a few 100$ bills in front of them to proof I can afford a few days in Thailand and they will let me enter the plane.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:56 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:23 pm i've always found from the past few years flying ( pre covid) in and around SE asia, you seldom find a return less than booking 2 1 ways.

I am flying with Sky Anchor. I didn't think of the exit flight. I genuinely don't know how the trip is going to pan out. I am doing 4 days in BKK, then ~5 days in Pattaya, back to BKK and then, maybe, a one-way to Penang (and onto PP after), or maybe a return with a few more days in BKK and a bit of shopping. It will be more than 10 days and less the 20 days and might involve leaving and returning again from a 3rd country. I don't suppose this vagueness will go down well at check in.

What's the name of that spoof site for onward tickets?
I used :
https://onwardflights.com/
its a real ticket which can ( although it wont be) verified.
last year air asia asked for my forward ticket as I was entering with a visa exempt
Many reports on thai visa about the check in staff asking for the tickets

This is all post covid, before no problem
I have never been asked for a return / onward ticket by Thai immigration.
Immigration doesn't check, ( although they can if u looked suspect, also the 20,000 baht) < its the airlines that ask when u check in :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic