Radio Oun (Kampot Radio) Top 100 Songs of All Time Poll

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Radio Oun (Kampot Radio) Top 100 Songs of All Time Poll

Post by rozzieoz »

This has become quite an anticipated event in the local music scene and it's now time to vote for your favourite songs.

Coz Collective has three songs in the running, numbers 18, 19 and 20.
Now I realise that neither of my two songs are the greatest of all time, but These Nights (18) is the best I'm ever going to write. ;)

Please join the fun and vote for your favourites- it's a wonderful celebration of the original music produced in Cambodia.

https://radiooun.com/top-100-voting-2023/
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Radio Oun (Kampot Radio) Top 100 Songs of All Time Poll

Post by khmerhamster »

Well this is a weird.
We have the Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Prodigy and a selection of fairly unknown folk in the local music scene.
We have to pick the top 100 songs (of all time) and are only allowed to pick from a preselected list of 110 songs which are dominated by (pretty much) unknowns

Local (Khmer) artists are underrepresented. Vanda seems to be the only popular khmer speaking artist - that I noticed.
And then we have this effort:

And Roz has 3 songs in the running for ‘best song of all time’ the worst she can do is be awarded the 108th, 109th and 110th best song of all time. Thats something for the CV!

I mean go on and have fun - but you might want to cut down on the hyperbole.

How about: please vote for your preference from this very limited and random selection of music. The winner will be awarded the Daun Penhny Top Song award.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:15 am The winner will be awarded the Daun Penhny Top Song award.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:15 am
How about: please vote for your preference from this very limited and random selection of music. The winner will be awarded the Daun Penhny Top Song award.
Come on, be nice, FFS.
The list is just the list of nominees, it's not the final order! The countdown happens on December 31st.

People were given a month to vote for their top three songs. Anyone in the world had the opportunity to do this, I posted about it on CEO a while ago.
Local musicians see it as a really great way to promote theirs, and other people's original music.

Now the voting has started and people get to vote for their favourite five songs from the provided list.

I know it's not a Grammy, I'm not that delusional. But what it is, is recognition for a project that I'm really proud of.
Let's hear the last song you wrote?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:09 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:15 am
Come on, be nice, FFS.
The list is just the list of nominees, it's not the final order! The countdown happens on December 31st.

People were given a month to vote for their top three songs. Anyone in the world had the opportunity to do this, I posted about it on CEO a while ago.
Local musicians see it as a really great way to promote theirs, and other people's original music.

Now the voting has started and people get to vote for their favourite five songs from the provided list.

I know it's not a Grammy, I'm not that delusional. But what it is, is recognition for a project that I'm really proud of.
Let's hear the last song you wrote?
It’s not a dig at your music. I listened to your song, whilst not really my genre, it’s pleasant enough. Much better than anything I could do musically.

I find the selection for ‘the top 100 songs of all time’ to be nonsense.
Why not limited to Cambodia connected (Khmer/written in Cambodia/about Cambodia).
To have the Rolling Stones, the Beatles and you (with respect) as options is a bit stupid.

But all that said. If you are having fun - go for it. But I’d expect you won’t get that many votes from here for the aforementioned reasons.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:34 pm
But I’d expect you won’t get that many votes from here for the aforementioned reasons.
I don't expect to get many votes, it's just awesome to be recognised as a "real" song writer. That really is enough for me.
But hey, if you feel sorry for me, you know where to go to vote ;)

And for my haters, please use this opportunity to throw a barb in my heart by voting for someone else. The winner will be music :)
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I agree with @khmerhamster, you really can’t have a predetermined list of songs and classify it as “Top 100 Songs of All Time”. By doing that you only take the opinion of the person, or people, who created the list of songs to choose from and not the people voting.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I think it's just a free promotion thing for Radio Oun, the local artist that can convince the most friends, family and possibly forum members to vote for them will likely win.

Their community seems to think it's fun so that's cool with me.

Even if it's possibly not going to be a statistically verified top 100 list taking into account every piece of music ever created since the invention of rhythm. Not saying this is not terribly offensive and maybe even discrimination against certain minorities who were never included in the selection, just saying I'm cool with it.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Kenr wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:56 pm you only take the opinion of the person, or people, who created the list of songs to choose from and not the people voting.
Everyone got the chance to nominate their favourite 5 songs of all time. I was allowed to nominate 3 from the EP, as was every other artist. The most anyone can contribute is 3 songs.
Once everyone finished nominating their songs, they put the list together.

So it's a list of the favourite songs of this year, as nominated by Radio Oun listeners and supporters.
It's promotion for the station and for original music in Cambodia.

And look how great it's working, I bet some of you had never heard of Radio Oun until today!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:47 am This has become quite an anticipated event in the local music scene and it's now time to vote for your favourite songs.

Coz Collective has three songs in the running, numbers 18, 19 and 20.
Now I realise that neither of my two songs are the greatest of all time, but These Nights (18) is the best I'm ever going to write. ;)

Please join the fun and vote for your favourites- it's a wonderful celebration of the original music produced in Cambodia.

https://radiooun.com/top-100-voting-2023/

There seems to be some problem with the link? Music plays (but certainly not songs I would think would be in the top 100 of "all time", which, by the way, technically includes the future, for example, "Gold" by Spandau Ballet). The songs and artists aren't identified in any way nor is there any place to vote. The bit of text looks like this:

CURRENT TRACK
TITLE
ARTIST
Radio Oun
test

If you click on "test", "CANNOT OPEN THE STREAM" appears.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic