Beer economics

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Beer economics

Post by Gazzy »

Yes, beer Lao is perfectly agreeable. Belgium beers really hit the spot, average of around $6 in bars, half of that in mini-marts.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:06 am If all of the mainstream Cambodian beers are so terrible, then what do you folks recommend I drink while I’m in Cambodia?

None of the Cambodian beers are anything to rave about, but none that I’ve tried are especially bad. They taste like any other cheap lager, like the ones I grew up drinking, before this whole craft beer fad came along.

Am I the only one who just wants something cheap, cold, light, and refreshing, rather than a thick, hoppy, room temperature Ale, when it’s 35 degrees outside?
When I lived in Haeundae beach S. Korea, they taught me how to beef up the cheap beers with soju. Gets the job done quicker and less bloating/hangover. Better alcohol high. Less filling & tastes great! I call that combo an Asian Boilermaker.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:47 am Only two (2) Cambodian beer brands have been mentioned here.
I’ve never heard anyone mention which ones are the good ones.
Like you said before, none of them are anything home to write about, but they are tolerable and get the job done.

I stick with Cambodia beer when I do drink beer.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Kenr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:38 pm
Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:12 pm
Kenr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:47 am Only two (2) Cambodian beer brands have been mentioned here.
I’ve never heard anyone mention which ones are the good ones.
Like you said before, none of them are anything home to write about, but they are tolerable and get the job done.

I stick with Cambodia beer when I do drink beer.
After a half rack, taste is irrelevant, me thinks.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I have had it with Cambodia beer, it is foul. I have been giving Beer Lao a go recently and that is better, but twice the price than the draught.

I have ordered a case of Kronenburg 1664 500ml cans and my local bar has agreed to chill them for me and I'll pay them a corkage fee of $1, the same as a glass of draught swill. I think it will be worth it.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Laos>Tiger>Anchor/Cambodia>Angkor>Ganzberg

Hanuman/Krud/Vatanak haven’t tried.

IMO
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If it's available I prefer Beer Lao. Most of the time I drink Cambodia though. I don't really like draught. Hoegarten is good too but expensive to drink much of. I can't stand Ganzberg. Anchor White is foul stuff too, I can't even finish a can.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

In high school, we'd drink Lucky Lager ... the underside of the cap had cool little image puzzles ($6 bucks a case on sale) ... Shaeffer too ... Schmidt too -- "The Beer That Grew With The Great Northwest" ... Mickey's Bigmouth too ... all cheap rotgut beers. In my Texas days it was always Lone Star.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:21 pm Laos>Tiger>Anchor/Cambodia>Angkor>Ganzberg

Hanuman/Krud/Vatanak haven’t tried.

IMO
Having my first Krud as I'm writing this and I am surprised. It's quite tasty and vaguely reminds me of Bulgarian beers. Definitely tastier than Ganzberg.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Yeah, I’d say Krud is an acquired taste. Drank it for the first time a few months ago in Kampot at my GF’s sisters house. Not my first choice but not drinkable. Tiger, although not a Cambodian beer, is pretty good.

But just like food, woman, clothing, amongst other things, beer is relative to one’s taste buds.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic