Cheapest Household Stuff Siem

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Cheapest Household Stuff Siem

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

Overall, who has the cheapest prices for household crap like plastic bowls, pans, pots, knives forks brooms plates etc......

Makro? Angkor Market? Psar Leu? Some dude on such and such a street?

I already know that prices in Siem are 20-30% higher than in BKK, but it gets to be a question of logistics after a while, especially when I save the room for things that are expensive.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Cheapest Household Stuff Siem

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Not sure if they have one in your city, but in PP there are Sakura recycle shops and you can get great household stuff (Japanese quality) for really cheap. That's where I bought my microscope ($5) ... actual value $100+ ... haggling is ok too if you got skillz.

https://m.facebook.com/SakuraRecycleSho ... bWGpF2dAn1

Now I need to go take a shower ... I touched FB
EmpatheticUnicorn
Tourist
Tuvalu

Post by EmpatheticUnicorn »

There are two Sakura shops in Siem Reap, they are easily enough to google. They do have great second hand stuff, like glasses, plates etc. For me, I would be happy pay more for products if it means I don't have to go into Phsar Leu. Upstairs at the big Angkor market you will find almost everything you need, at varying prices, some of them are really expensive, you might find a $80+ dollar chefs knife for example. However, there is a big range, so lots of cheaper options as well. I suspect Makro would be cheaper, but not have as much range of home wears. Great for buying cleaning products etc. though.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

EmpatheticUnicorn wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:33 pm There are two Sakura shops in Siem Reap, they are easily enough to google. They do have great second hand stuff, like glasses, plates etc. For me, I would be happy pay more for products if it means I don't have to go into Phsar Leu. Upstairs at the big Angkor market you will find almost everything you need, at varying prices, some of them are really expensive, you might find a $80+ dollar chefs knife for example. However, there is a big range, so lots of cheaper options as well. I suspect Makro would be cheaper, but not have as much range of home wears. Great for buying cleaning products etc. though.
I was just thinking about the quality + price ... Japanese stuff almost always is better than others.

BTW ... did you move here from Alaska? @AlaskaKen

Two of my sons are there now, but may be moving here in the near future.
EmpatheticUnicorn
Tourist
Tuvalu

Post by EmpatheticUnicorn »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:44 pm
EmpatheticUnicorn wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:33 pm There are two Sakura shops in Siem Reap, they are easily enough to google. They do have great second hand stuff, like glasses, plates etc. For me, I would be happy pay more for products if it means I don't have to go into Phsar Leu. Upstairs at the big Angkor market you will find almost everything you need, at varying prices, some of them are really expensive, you might find a $80+ dollar chefs knife for example. However, there is a big range, so lots of cheaper options as well. I suspect Makro would be cheaper, but not have as much range of home wears. Great for buying cleaning products etc. though.
I was just thinking about the quality + price ... Japanese stuff almost always is better than others.
Sure, but I'd rather have a new towel, than a slightly better quality second hand one...
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

EmpatheticUnicorn wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:50 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:44 pm
Sure, but I'd rather have a new towel, than a slightly better quality second hand one...
10-4
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Buy cheap Chinese plastic crap, you will never know from what is made of... :)
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Fridaywithmateo wrote:Not sure if they have one in your city, but in PP there are Sakura recycle shops and you can get great household stuff (Japanese quality) for really cheap. That's where I bought my microscope ($5) ... actual value $100+ ... haggling is ok too if you got skillz.

I gave up on microscopes when I no longer required to have one decades ago.

Why buy a microscope?

Good advice on Sakura Shops. Will look them up when I retire.

Don’t let the nay sayers drag you down. Stay true to yourself and keep your lady happy.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:41 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote:Not sure if they have one in your city, but in PP there are Sakura recycle shops and you can get great household stuff (Japanese quality) for really cheap. That's where I bought my microscope ($5) ... actual value $100+ ... haggling is ok too if you got skillz.

I gave up on microscopes when I no longer required to have one decades ago.

Why buy a microscope?

Good advice on Sakura Shops. Will look them up when I retire.

Don’t let the nay sayers drag you down. Stay true to yourself and keep your lady happy.
I will do my best sir ... cannot do more than that.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Chuck Borris wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:09 pm Buy cheap Chinese plastic crap, you will never know from what is made of... :)
May even have to do a Google search to find out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic