whats going on with Cambodian forums?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

whats going on with Cambodian forums?

Post by phuketrichard »

i long for the old days of K440 an the early days here>
it was like Cambodia was, raw, exciting, nothing held back

Now all we get is weird ones posting stuff that always features themselves, ( welcome Walter Mitty) as the stars, others confident that their intelligence will show thru in their words & obvious trolls
Than OTOF the Anonymous fuckers posting, cause they dont want their posts linked to them

Bet KIR is turning over in his grave :beer3:

As they say,

......you should have been here........"

carry on
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: whats going on with Cambodian forums?

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:55 pm i long for the old days of K440 an the early days here>
Cambodia was a lot different in 2003 when that forum started. The country was not very developed and there were very few foreigners living here, and they a very different bunch than those who arrived much more recently. There was also no Facebook, the only other online source of information was Canby, Tales of Asia and Thorn Tree. The world has changed and there's no going back.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

And not only is it not going back to what it was 20 years ago, for it really to work I'd also have to be 20 years younger.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Most of us who were about 20+ years ago aren't tearing around trying to kill ourselves anymore - our attitudes and lifestyles have been reoriented. We've become stately refined bastions of society mellowing in older age so we might squeeze out an extra five years at the end of what must be a considerably reduced life span because of our earlier waywardness. Our contributions (and lack of them) on these forums, their sedateness or benign nature are representative of the tired subdued resigned old boots we've become.

And frankly, I'd much sooner place my exposed arse on a nest of particularly voracious ants than get involved in much of the expat giddyup and gobbledegook that forums offer. I'd just quite like to travel somewhere and a nice cup of tea.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:55 pm i long for the old days of K440 an the early days here>

Now all we get is weird ones posting stuff that always features themselves, ( welcome Walter Mitty) as the stars, others confident that their intelligence will show thru in their words & obvious trolls
Than OTOF the Anonymous fuckers posting, cause they dont want their posts linked to them

Bet KIR is turning over in his grave :beer3:

As they say,

......you should have been here........"

carry on
This weekend I was in Phnom Penh, helped out an expat community, and met quite a few expats I never met before.

I would be surprised if any of them would use this (or the other) forum. They're all connected by FB and DM.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

MAYBE good moment to do statistics:

how old is the average CEO-member ???

i THINK 60 !!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:26 pm MAYBE good moment to do statistics:

i THINK 60 !!
1966 here
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:39 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:26 pm MAYBE good moment to do statistics:

i THINK 60 !!
1966 here
same year as my first thai wife>
that didn't end well

its not the age of the posters
its the ordinary live that most have led or live
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:50 pm Most of us who were about 20+ years ago aren't tearing around trying to kill ourselves anymore - our attitudes and lifestyles have been reoriented. We've become stately refined bastions of society mellowing in older age so we might squeeze out an extra five years at the end of what must be a considerably reduced life span because of our earlier waywardness. Our contributions (and lack of them) on these forums, their sedateness or benign nature are representative of the tired subdued resigned old boots we've become.

And frankly, I'd much sooner place my exposed arse on a nest of particularly voracious ants than get involved in much of the expat giddyup and gobbledegook that forums offer. I'd just quite like to travel somewhere and a nice cup of tea.
Every day is a gift for me ... I've died 3 times ... life is a gift.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:03 pm its not the age of the posters
its the ordinary live that most have led or live
Yes, but why does that surprise you?

Moving to Southeast Asia doesn't require an adventurous spirit anymore, since mommy is only a WhatsApp video call away and can send emergency funds via Western Union online within minutes. So a lot more "ordinary" people come.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic