whats going on with Cambodian forums?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: whats going on with Cambodian forums?

Post by ItWasntMe »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:52 pm Sorry, my dander gets ruffled easily.
Thanks for the laugh, I owe you one :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

One factor I'd say more than people getting older, is that Cambodia was also a far different country back then: There were still rebels in the hills and machine guns for rental and and a much stronger level of corruption that allowed for far greater vice than we see today, hence why the heroin dens and sexpat villages have disappeared, and with it that perception of corrupt invulnerability that comes with it.

And is that not for the better? I see so often older expats lamenting places like KPS and Kampot being revamped and redeveloped, as if such cities should ask permission from the backpackers and other all-sorts of the Heart of Darkness crowd who will be bereft of one dollar mai tais and cheap banana pancakes.

Cambodia gets modernised, and marches on. I for one and happy to see it settle down, vice trades decline, and people enter a greater era of prosperity than any other time in the last 800 years of Khmer history.
Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:20 am The world is shrinking.
Those who want similar feelings as in their youth, they gotta go deeper in larger countries, assuming they didn't aged too much (spoiler, they did anyway).

Think Indonesia, Brazil, Russia, India...deeper in it's countryside, away from comfort, would be my guess
This. South Sudan and East Timor still have that general sense of fatalistic adventuring spirit, even if it may not appeal to the sex, drugs and alcohol crowd.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:51 pm One factor I'd say more than people getting older, is that Cambodia was also a far different country back then: There were still rebels in the hills and machine guns for rental and and a much stronger level of corruption that allowed for far greater vice than we see today, hence why the heroin dens and sexpat villages have disappeared, and with it that perception of corrupt invulnerability that comes with it.

And is that not for the better? I see so often older expats lamenting places like KPS and Kampot being revamped and redeveloped, as if such cities should ask permission from the backpackers and other all-sorts of the Heart of Darkness crowd who will be bereft of one dollar mai tais and cheap banana pancakes.

Cambodia gets modernised, and marches on. I for one and happy to see it settle down, vice trades decline, and people enter a greater era of prosperity than any other time in the last 800 years of Khmer history.
Those who want similar feelings as in their youth, they gotta go deeper in larger countries, assuming they didn't aged too much (spoiler, they did anyway).

Think Indonesia, Brazil, Russia, India...deeper in it's countryside, away from comfort, would be my guess
This. South Sudan and East Timor still have that general sense of fatalistic adventuring spirit, even if it may not appeal to the sex, drugs and alcohol crowd.
What about Mindanao ... the bad part ... Abu Sayyaf country.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:51 pm One factor I'd say more than people getting older, is that Cambodia was also a far different country back then: There were still rebels in the hills and machine guns for rental and and a much stronger level of corruption that allowed for far greater vice than we see today, hence why the heroin dens and sexpat villages have disappeared, and with it that perception of corrupt invulnerability that comes with it.

Back when? i am referring to the mid 2000's..... NOT the 70-80's :facepalm:
There is more corruption now then there ever was back than and the deference between those that have an those that dont is immense>

But if u think so, well it must be so

I dont lament change, change is good, BUT its better when it benefits the majority NOT the minority as so often happens.

As to south sudan, one of the 3 countries ( when it was all one Sudan) i spent a brief time in jail and even now its not a safe or wise place to be
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 pm

Back when? i am referring to the mid 2000's..... NOT the 70-80's :facepalm:
There is more corruption now then there ever was back than and the deference between those that have an those that dont is immense>

But if u think so, well it must be so

I dont lament change, change is good, BUT its better when it benefits the majority NOT the minority as so often happens.

As to south sudan, one of the 3 countries ( when it was all one Sudan) i spent a brief time in jail and even now its not a safe or wise place to be
Back when? Good question.

What are these opium dens and sexpat villages he refers to?
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I just logged in with the password KIR gave me after I was banned once and then we made up.
Khmer440 was fun, all the old posters. Barone, Ricecakes, Marklatham and Andyinasia. Whatever happened to him?
A few have died, most have gone home, many with partners. Taking a slice of Cambodia home is good. I have two girls, one a joy and one not.
The whole world has changed. The real good old days of international drug smuggling for cash and fun and the pursuit of women changes as one ages, obviously.
But my world is still dangerous and complicated. Asian crime gangs, bikies and criminal aussies rule in this little town. I play with local and State politics and talk to powerful people. I am involved with juvenile crims and the cops. A kid disappeared a few months ago. Murdered by vigilantes or bikies and fed to the crocodiles. It is much like a Carl Hiassen novel here. Anyone read his books about Florida. Was told of a good scam the other day. Marry an Asian on a short term visa for US$125,000. Not bad. Or marry a Chinese woman with kids for much more. Or scam the tax office as a failed business for $280,000. And help your mates do it too for a $40,000 fee. Junkies and people in jail did it, I know one. He got caught trying to do it twice. We have lots of drugs, guns, chop shops, Thai massage parlours with pretty young girls and illegal tobacco shops- chop chop shops. The corruption is amazing, police are lazy. Australia has turned into old Cambodia.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Just throw a shrimp on the barbie
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

willyhilly wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:45 pm I just logged in with the password KIR gave me after I was banned once and then we made up.
Khmer440 was fun, all the old posters. Barone, Ricecakes, Marklatham and Andyinasia. Whatever happened to him?
A few have died, most have gone home, many with partners. Taking a slice of Cambodia home is good. I have two girls, one a joy and one not.
The whole world has changed. The real good old days of international drug smuggling for cash and fun and the pursuit of women changes as one ages, obviously.
But my world is still dangerous and complicated. Asian crime gangs, bikies and criminal aussies rule in this little town. I play with local and State politics and talk to powerful people. I am involved with juvenile crims and the cops. A kid disappeared a few months ago. Murdered by vigilantes or bikies and fed to the crocodiles. It is much like a Carl Hiassen novel here. Anyone read his books about Florida. Was told of a good scam the other day. Marry an Asian on a short term visa for US$125,000. Not bad. Or marry a Chinese woman with kids for much more. Or scam the tax office as a failed business for $280,000. And help your mates do it too for a $40,000 fee. Junkies and people in jail did it, I know one. He got caught trying to do it twice. We have lots of drugs, guns, chop shops, Thai massage parlours with pretty young girls and illegal tobacco shops- chop chop shops. The corruption is amazing, police are lazy. Australia has turned into old Cambodia.
Serious question if it’s so bad why do you stay?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Earl of Mercia wrote:
willyhilly wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:45 pm I just logged in with the password KIR gave me after I was banned once and then we made up.
Serious question if it’s so bad why do you stay?
He’s an Aussie. He’s tough. He loves his country and wants to make his world a better place.

I applaud him and thank him for his service.

Ex and her family used to do that.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

The proudest Aussies are usually Poms.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic