whats going on with Cambodian forums?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: whats going on with Cambodian forums?

Post by ItWasntMe »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:20 am The world is shrinking.
Those who want similar feelings as in their youth, they gotta go deeper in larger countries, assuming they didn't aged too much (spoiler, they did anyway).

Think Indonesia, Brazil, Russia, India...deeper in it's countryside, away from comfort, would be my guess
Yea bro let's all head off to the Russian countryside and live happily ever after! I already know the language, da da smirnoff spatsiba!

Did you know that in North Korea weed is prevalent? That could also be a good idea for those missing the old hippie trails.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:24 am Some things never change ... Sigh ... the new guy always gets the business (in this case electronically jumped-in) before allowed in the gang ... I can't help that I was born into a family of learned doctors ... So I am a med-head with a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) ... this is me, my style, how I roll ... this bird cannot change ... this is me, like it or not ...

Ok, now back to the ribbing ...
Your somewhat sanguine nature is a small saving grace.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

newsgatherer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:27 am It's quite funny with some newcomers to the Facebook forums. Times have changed it seems. The macho men riding the jebel all seem to have been dissolved in the alcohol they consumed in large quantities. But going to st. 178 still seems pretty much the same to me, so in that sense there's a lot of stuff that's still pretty similar. And still around 4,000 riels to the dollar. But there are definitely more fashion malls and skyscrapers these days. I feel more and more like I'm living in a smaller version of Bangkok here.
(

I am not at all here to go to Malls, but about skyscrapers: i was a year ago on some rooftopbar in front of AEON 1, forget the name, but sounded french and the whole terrace turns around every hour) and was surprised how much skyscrapers where there around. When i flew in in sptember i watched out of the window when arriving at Pochentong airport (what i useally didnt do for years) and also was surprised to not recognice anymore PPs skyline. I am used to walk around Daun Penh daily and hardly look upstairs !!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:29 am : i was a year ago on some rooftopbar in front of AEON 1, forget the name, but sounded french and the whole terrace turns around every hour)
Celeste Sky Bar & Restaurant.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:24 am Some things never change ... Sigh ... the new guy always gets the business (in this case electronically jumped-in) before allowed in the gang ...
I for one am not in any gang, don't know anyone on here and am of the new variety. Still I feel very much at home here despite our difference of opinions most of the time.

Whatever "ganging up" you experience I believe has much to do with your own attitude.

I don't condone it, I think if you don't like a poster you should ignore him rather than replying "I don't like you" 10 times a day.

But if you actually cared about that you could just chill and not try to be #1 at all times in a community where nobody knows you.

Or if you're just trying to stirr the pot and have a red notification icon 24/7 then keep doing what you're doing :good:

Personally I kind of enjoy your presence.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:54 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:24 am Some things never change ... Sigh ... the new guy always gets the business (in this case electronically jumped-in) before allowed in the gang ...
I for one am not in any gang, don't know anyone on here and am of the new variety. Still I feel very much at home here despite our difference of opinions most of the time.

Whatever "ganging up" you experience I believe has much to do with your own attitude.

I don't condone it, I think if you don't like a poster you should ignore him rather than replying "I don't like you" 10 times a day.

But if you actually cared about that you could just chill and not try to be #1 at all times in a community where nobody knows you.

Or if you're just trying to stirr the pot and have a red notification icon 24/7 then keep doing what you're doing :good:

Noted ... I've been misunderstood my whole life ... and am ok with it. Look, if we all thought the same and talked the same ... life would be boring ... I'll contribute as long as I am welcome here ... I really don't mind getting hazed as the new guy with happy fingers ... and a little weirdness ... I am the first to admit ... I am wayyyyyy put there sometimes ...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Those who want similar feelings as in their youth, they gotta go deeper in larger countries, assuming they didn't aged too much (spoiler, they did anyway).

Think Indonesia, Brazil, Russia, India...deeper in it's countryside, away from comfort, would be my guess
all i need do is go next door to Burma ( once i can freely travel around again). Once one gets off the tourist trail of Yangon-Bagan-Mandalay-Inle
its like travel was 25 years ago

or one could go a bit further to India , ( still only a 4 hour flight from me)

Its not the areas, its the people that are travelling> They are ONLY going where other's recommend they go and than when they get there, they are only interested in connecting with like minds ( look no further than Kampot) and taking selfie's and posting about it

FYI:
I like PIco's writing but entirely disagree with this statement, "....Thailand in 1983 was to some extent the Wild West."
i was there in '75 ( back again in 82 before moving over in 84) in Bangkok and up north, never like the wild west, but it was unique, but not quite as unique as Afghanistan, Pakistan,( these were the wild west) India, Nepal.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:28 pm

all i need do is go next door to Burma ( once i can freely travel around again). Once one gets off the tourist trail of Yangon-Bagan-Mandalay-Inle
its like travel was 25 years ago

or one could go a bit further to India , ( still only a 4 hour flight from me)

Its not the areas, its the people that are travelling> They are ONLY going where other's recommend they go and than when they get there, they are only interested in connecting with like minds ( look no further than Kampot) and taking selfie's and posting about it

FYI:
I like PIco's writing but entirely disagree with this statement, "....Thailand in 1983 was to some extent the Wild West."
i was there in '75 ( back again in 82 before moving over in 84) in Bangkok and up north, never like the wild west, but it was unique, but not quite as unique as Afghanistan, Pakistan,( these were the wild west) India, Nepal.....
Speaking of Thailand ... and I think it's been there for eons ... Adhere 13th blues bar on Samsen Rd .... awesome, just awesome ... all the local circuit musicians would gather there after their daily gigs and jam till 2 or 3am ... really good music ... similar vibe like Oscars on the Corner ... which hands down is the best music venue in PP ... acoustics are phenomenal.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

ItWasntMe wrote:I think that the influx of smart phones, influencers, booking services, taxi apps etc has just made traveling too accessible to the general public. They have started venturing out of their designated spots, like Barcelona or Rome, and is causing havoc allover the world.

Just my opinion of course.
Designated spots?

Are you implying that the ‘unwashed masses’ need to be kept in their cages to not cause ‘havoc’, while the ‘privileged few’ should be allowed to roam the world freely?

I’ve got the feeling that it’s more a few posters who act like the privileged.

Sorry, my dander gets ruffled easily. People should treated as equals, no matter their opinion or beliefs. And opinions should be treated as something to be discussed instead of a sports event.

Sorry for the side track. Please continuing hunting for the wild untamed world in Aleppo or Kandahar or Pyongyang.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:01 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:54 am

Noted ... I've been misunderstood my whole life ... and am ok with it. Look, if we all thought the same and talked the same ... life would be boring ... I'll contribute as long as I am welcome here ... I really don't mind getting hazed as the new guy with happy fingers ... and a little weirdness ... I am the first to admit ... I am wayyyyyy put there sometimes ...
I can only speak for myself. It’s nothing to do with how long you have been posting here.

Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic