whats going on with Cambodian forums?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: whats going on with Cambodian forums?

Post by Earl of Mercia »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:55 pm i long for the old days of K440 an the early days here>
it was like Cambodia was, raw, exciting, nothing held back

Now all we get is weird ones posting stuff that always features themselves, ( welcome Walter Mitty) as the stars, others confident that their intelligence will show thru in their words & obvious trolls
Than OTOF the Anonymous fuckers posting, cause they dont want their posts linked to them

Bet KIR is turning over in his grave :beer3:

As they say,

......you should have been here........"

carry on
So which one of the above three categories would you put yourself in?

Or are you just ‘special’ and in a category all of your own?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

I think that the influx of smart phones, influencers, booking services, taxi apps etc has just made traveling too accessible to the general public. They have started venturing out of their designated spots, like Barcelona or Rome, and is causing havoc allover the world.

Just my opinion of course.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:13 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:50 pm Most of us who were about 20+ years ago aren't tearing around trying to kill ourselves anymore - our attitudes and lifestyles have been reoriented. We've become stately refined bastions of society mellowing in older age so we might squeeze out an extra five years at the end of what must be a considerably reduced life span because of our earlier waywardness. Our contributions (and lack of them) on these forums, their sedateness or benign nature are representative of the tired subdued resigned old boots we've become.

And frankly, I'd much sooner place my exposed arse on a nest of particularly voracious ants than get involved in much of the expat giddyup and gobbledegook that forums offer. I'd just quite like to travel somewhere and a nice cup of tea.
Every day is a gift for me ... I've died 3 times ... life is a gift.
Here we go...
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

It's quite funny with some newcomers to the Facebook forums. Times have changed it seems. The macho men riding the jebel all seem to have been dissolved in the alcohol they consumed in large quantities. But going to st. 178 still seems pretty much the same to me, so in that sense there's a lot of stuff that's still pretty similar. And still around 4,000 riels to the dollar. But there are definitely more fashion malls and skyscrapers these days. I feel more and more like I'm living in a smaller version of Bangkok here.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Another factor suggested by Pico Iyer (interviewed 2004):
It was an exciting time to be in Southeast Asia because although it was only twenty years ago, the area was still relatively undiscovered. Thailand in 1983 was to some extent the Wild West. For better and worse. You were often getting accosted by strangers with uncertain motives in the street—even when you got to the airport (it was a fairly rickety airport in those days), people would loom out of the dark showing you albums full of pictures of scantily clad girls or all kinds of places you’d never want to go to. Things had a lawless, open feeling that they’d lost in Thailand even by 1988.
But at the same time I don’t conform to that comforting notion we often have that places get spoiled. I think it’s more that our perception of them gets spoiled. After that first impression, when we go back to a place, what we’re doing is not seeing the place naked but comparing it with the place we saw before and registering some fact about how we’ve changed or how we’ve lost an element of innocence. So I think corruption is in the eye of the beholder, more than in the place itself.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:19 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:50 pm Most of us who were about 20+ years ago aren't tearing around trying to kill ourselves anymore - our attitudes and lifestyles have been reoriented. We've become stately refined bastions of society mellowing in older age so we might squeeze out an extra five years at the end of what must be a considerably reduced life span because of our earlier waywardness. Our contributions (and lack of them) on these forums, their sedateness or benign nature are representative of the tired subdued resigned old boots we've become.

And frankly, I'd much sooner place my exposed arse on a nest of particularly voracious ants than get involved in much of the expat giddyup and gobbledegook that forums offer. I'd just quite like to travel somewhere and a nice cup of tea.
Here we go...
Tell Fridaywithmateo you've got a cold and he'll tell you he's got pneumonia brought on by fighting grizzlies in the freezing waters of Alaska.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:13 am

Here we go...
Tell Fridaywithmateo you've got a cold and he'll tell you he's got pneumonia brought on by fighting grizzlies in the freezing waters of Alaska.
Luckily, he knows how to cure it using salt water and a piece of string :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Here we go...
I die a little every time I read one of his posts.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

The world is shrinking.
Those who want similar feelings as in their youth, they gotta go deeper in larger countries, assuming they didn't aged too much (spoiler, they did anyway).

Think Indonesia, Brazil, Russia, India...deeper in it's countryside, away from comfort, would be my guess
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Some things never change ... Sigh ... the new guy always gets the business (in this case electronically jumped-in) before allowed in the gang ... I can't help that I was born into a family of learned doctors ... So I am a med-head with a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) ... this is me, my style, how I roll ... this bird cannot change ... this is me, like it or not ...

Ok, now back to the ribbing ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic