Increase in financial threshold for UK family visa applicants

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Increase in financial threshold for UK family visa applicants

Post by down_time »

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here already to be honest. I know a few people who were planning to move back to the UK in the next few years who will struggle to meet the new threshold.
  • Applicants wishing to get a family visa for spouse and/or dependents will need to be in the top 23rd percentile of earners.
  • Minimum income requirement rising from £18k to £38.7k (plus additional requirement for dependents).
  • For those using savings/assets threshold rises from £45k to $96,750.
  • New family visa rules could leave British citizens with a foreign partner facing greater restrictions on who they can live with than migrant workers.
For example, health professionals in the NHS who come to the UK on skilled work visas would be able to bring their non-UK citizen partners with them. However, the majority of British nurses working in the NHS earn less than £38,700 per year and so would not have the same rights."
One Briton living in China who had been planning to return with his Chinese wife said "I feel like I have been exiled".

A British woman with a Belgian partner, who has no immediate prospect of earning above the new threshold, said: "I feel like I'm being banished from my own country for having fallen in love with someone."
https://news.sky.com/story/uk-citizens- ... y-13024220
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Increase in financial threshold for UK family visa applicants

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’m confused, does this mean Britons can’t return home period, or they just can’t sponsor unless their loved one had a desirable skill set or a certain income level?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:46 pm I’m confused, does this mean Britons can’t return home period, or they just can’t sponsor unless their loved one had a desirable skill set or a certain income level?
The UK sponsor/spouse has to show a minimum income before the spouse visa is issued.
This rule does not apply to visit visas.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I think that's despicable. When someone immigrates to a country such as the UK, it's reasonable to put limitations on the importation of further family members of those new immigrants. BUT if someone is already a citizen and marries a foreigner, that foreigner should be allowed to move to the UK without having to meet ridiculous requirements. Where I'd draw the line is that those families should be able to support themselves, and I think the OLD requirements ensured just that.

Imposing such an arbitrary "top 23rd percentile" requirement screams xenophobia. Meanwhile they let illegals of the "religion of peace" variety run amok and behead people.

On the other hand, my impression is that the UK is even worse a shithole nowadays than it was when I visited the last time, in 2005. Not being able to move there might well be a blessing in disguise for those affected.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:20 pm I think that's despicable. When someone immigrates to a country such as the UK, it's reasonable to put limitations on the importation of further family members of those new immigrants. BUT if someone is already a citizen and marries a foreigner, that foreigner should be allowed to move to the UK without having to meet ridiculous requirements. Where I'd draw the line is that those families should be able to support themselves, and I think the OLD requirements ensured just that.

Imposing such an arbitrary "top 23rd percentile" requirement screams xenophobia. Meanwhile they let illegals of the "religion of peace" variety run amok and behead people.

On the other hand, my impression is that the UK is even worse a shithole nowadays than it was when I visited the last time, in 2005. Not being able to move there might well be a blessing in disguise for those affected.
Well, if you are a Brit and have children with your Khmer partner then the UK is the only country that will issue them with a passport (besides Cambodia of course). And people have family connections etc.
I know the Pattaya visa service agents deal with a lot of UK builders, software guys and other freelancers who earn a lot in the UK but do it mostly for cash, so although their income is high they struggled to prove even the old £18k minimum!
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Another point worth considering is according to analysis this will impact only 10,000 visa applications p/a compared to UK net migration of over 675,000 in 2023. It seems a pretty callous policy towards UK citizens with foreign partners which will have no tangible impact on actually reducing immigration.

Makes you wonder what the objective of the policy really is...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:41 pm
Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:20 pm I think that's despicable. When someone immigrates to a country such as the UK, it's reasonable to put limitations on the importation of further family members of those new immigrants. BUT if someone is already a citizen and marries a foreigner, that foreigner should be allowed to move to the UK without having to meet ridiculous requirements. Where I'd draw the line is that those families should be able to support themselves, and I think the OLD requirements ensured just that.

Well, if you are a Brit and have children with your Khmer partner then the UK is the only country that will issue them with a passport (besides Cambodia of course). And people have family connections etc.
I know the Pattaya visa service agents deal with a lot of UK builders, software guys and other freelancers who earn a lot in the UK but do it mostly for cash, so although their income is high they struggled to prove even the old £18k minimum!
The part I've highlighted in bold confuses me. As a Brit, if your half-Khmer children are born outside of the UK, do you have to take them to the UK and meet those insane financial requirements to get a UK passport for them?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Would someone who is strictly on a pension be able to meet those requirements in the UK?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Wow...that's pretty fucked up!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I know of several colleagues (British nationals, working overseas) who, even with good salaries, failed to meet or had major issues achieving the exacting requirements of the UK immigration mafia.
Come COVID, it resulted in some misery. But, anecdotally, this is maybe not consistent with all partners, as foreign partners are not all equal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic