Increase in financial threshold for UK family visa applicants

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Increase in financial threshold for UK family visa applicants

Post by Ghostwriter »

That is fucked up, even from a schizo France /Europe point of view, which is quite something already
We'd be happy to swap our crossing-channel migrants with Brits and their legit foreign spouses and kids, but i don' t wish it comes to that though...^^
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:12 pm I know of several colleagues (British nationals, working overseas) who, even with good salaries, failed to meet or had major issues achieving the exacting requirements of the UK immigration mafia.
Come COVID, it resulted in some misery. But, anecdotally, this is maybe not consistent with all partners, as foreign partners are not all equal.
We had no issues when going through a good immigration firm (we met all the legal requirements but i had to jump through some hoops to prove my income on the initial application). Renewed the 2.5 year spouse/partner visa a couple of months ago. We'll have been here for 3 years in January.
Atmywitsend
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Atmywitsend »

Our neighbours from the EU have stopped coming to the UK to work. There are shortages in the NHS, Social Care,
Hospitality Transport, almost every sector of my County that needs skilled and semi skilled workers. Nigel Farage and his Brexit headbangers are having a meltdown. We are importing workers from Nigeria, Pakistan, India etc.
All the Brown faces Brexiteers lost their :Rose: shit over. I received a lot of abuse on here years back, from so called patriots of the UK, because I voted to remain. If any anti EU Knobheads on here can't now bring your Kymer family to the UK. TOUGH SHIT. You won remember. :P :P
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

down_time wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:51 pm I'm surprised this hasn't been posted here already to be honest. I know a few people who were planning to move back to the UK in the next few years who will struggle to meet the new threshold.
  • Applicants wishing to get a family visa for spouse and/or dependents will need to be in the top 23rd percentile of earners.
  • Minimum income requirement rising from £18k to £38.7k (plus additional requirement for dependents).
  • For those using savings/assets threshold rises from £45k to $96,750.
  • New family visa rules could leave British citizens with a foreign partner facing greater restrictions on who they can live with than migrant workers.
For example, health professionals in the NHS who come to the UK on skilled work visas would be able to bring their non-UK citizen partners with them. However, the majority of British nurses working in the NHS earn less than £38,700 per year and so would not have the same rights."
One Briton living in China who had been planning to return with his Chinese wife said "I feel like I have been exiled".

A British woman with a Belgian partner, who has no immediate prospect of earning above the new threshold, said: "I feel like I'm being banished from my own country for having fallen in love with someone."
https://news.sky.com/story/uk-citizens- ... y-13024220
Britain in a nutshell a country that hates its own indigenous population or those running it do at least,there is no virtue signalling possible for helping out white people born and bred in the UK therefore the government isn’t interested?

As for misandry it is rife a single,white male in the UK is pretty much worthless but I’m pretty sure that the rest of Europe is catching up with all of the above fast?

In short why would anyone want to live in Britain these days,unless you are coming from a country where you will earn ten,twenty or even a hundred times that which you’d be paid back home?
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Atmywitsend wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:51 am Our neighbours from the EU have stopped coming to the UK to work. There are shortages in the NHS, Social Care,
Hospitality Transport, almost every sector of my County that needs skilled and semi skilled workers. Nigel Farage and his Brexit headbangers are having a meltdown. We are importing workers from Nigeria, Pakistan, India etc.
All the Brown faces Brexiteers lost their :Rose: shit over. I received a lot of abuse on here years back, from so called patriots of the UK, because I voted to remain. If any anti EU Knobheads on here can't now bring your Kymer family to the UK. TOUGH SHIT. You won remember. :P :P
Let me explain to you that for four decades the EU has dumped all of its foreign criminals on the UK’s shores,British people are NOT adverse to skilled people coming to the UK to be gainfully employed and pay taxes like everybody else.

The EU moved the UK’s manufacturing base out of the country and into the small newly joined member states like Latvia,Lithuania,Poland etc. whilst charging Britain Billions and Billions to facilitate their treachery.

We were told that unless we joined the Euro we would sink without a trace our Pound Sterling would pretty much become worthless overnight,that FDI/Foreign Direct Investment would go the same way none of which has proven to be true quite the opposite in fact?

Remember the OXI/NO vote from Greece for staying in the EU it was overruled,disgracefully the EU even threatened the people of Greece saying that their supply of pharmaceuticals would dry up meaning diabetics dropping down in the streets of Greece into diabetic comas then presumably death?

Now all we hear about is the rise of far right politics all over Europe because people are sick and tired of murderers and rapists being welcomed into their countries,in the case of the UK Albanian drug dealers coming to poison our children being housed in four and five star hotels,some costing £400 per night should you or I wish to stay in them?

No I’m sorry my friend but the EU is absolutely rotten-to-its-very-core and always will be,the answer is to reset it back to it’s original form the Common Market but of course the genie is out of the bottle and never going back in now.
Atmywitsend
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Atmywitsend »

He's me thinking UK Gangsters went to live in Spain 🇪🇸 ar well. We now have raw sewage in our rivers as a direct result of Brexit, but it's not all bad news as it's good old British Shit, none of that forrin crap.
( Excuse the pun ) Innit
Atmywitsend
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Atmywitsend »

How can a Trading Block insruct a Uk company to move certain businesses to Eastern Europe ?. Surely that would be the decision of the CEO of any Business who wanted to take advantage of cheap labour. By the way pre Brexit Sterling to Dollar was £1.55. Its never moved above £1.30 since.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Kenr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:40 pm Would someone who is strictly on a pension be able to meet those requirements in the UK?
Possibly. If they have a private and state pension.
If they only have a state pension then they may have to equity release their home to show significant savings balance.
I think there are some capital/savings criteria and it isn’t just straight income.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:28 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:41 pm
Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:20 pm I think that's despicable. When someone immigrates to a country such as the UK, it's reasonable to put limitations on the importation of further family members of those new immigrants. BUT if someone is already a citizen and marries a foreigner, that foreigner should be allowed to move to the UK without having to meet ridiculous requirements. Where I'd draw the line is that those families should be able to support themselves, and I think the OLD requirements ensured just that.

Imposing such an arbitrary "top 23rd percentile" requirement screams xenophobia. Meanwhile they let illegals of the "religion of peace" variety run amok and behead people.

On the other hand, my impression is that the UK is even worse a shithole nowadays than it was when I visited the last time, in 2005. Not being able to move there might well be a blessing in disguise for those affected.
Well, if you are a Brit and have children with your Khmer partner then the UK is the only country that will issue them with a passport (besides Cambodia of course). And people have family connections etc.
I know the Pattaya visa service agents deal with a lot of UK builders, software guys and other freelancers who earn a lot in the UK but do it mostly for cash, so although their income is high they struggled to prove even the old £18k minimum!
The part I've highlighted in bold confuses me. As a Brit, if your half-Khmer children are born outside of the UK, do you have to take them to the UK and meet those insane financial requirements to get a UK passport for them?
No, British nationality is granted by descent. The kid will get a passport, but not mum. So dad and kid can go back and live in UK no problems, but mum will need a visa and will need to meet the criteria mentioned above to get a long term visa.
She’ll be able to visit, for 3/6 months but will be difficult to get full residency visa.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

So, don't get married overseas and bring a spouse home unless you can afford to do so??

18k a year isn't enough for two people to live on per year in the UK, never mind a small family. 38k is not "in the top earning percentile" ;it's a modest wage
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic