USA Military Recruiting Could be Going Global

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

USA Military Recruiting Could be Going Global

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Senator Dick Durbin (D-Ill) is sponsoring a bill that would allow illegal/undocumented immigrants to gain citizenship in exchange for military service. That just might have a chance to pass since the Army, Navy, Air Force all failed to reach recruiting goals for 2023. Makes sense too since just 3/10 high school graduates are qualified for military duty. What a mess.

ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: USA Military Recruiting Could be Going Global

Post by ItWasntMe »

I have some compadres that gained their status through the army, seems it has always worked quite well.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:10 pm I have some compadres that gained their status through the army, seems it has always worked quite well.
Pretty sure current law does not allow undocumented immigrants to join ... those soldiers would have to have had some legal status to qualify to enlist.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:18 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:10 pm I have some compadres that gained their status through the army, seems it has always worked quite well.
Pretty sure current law does not allow undocumented immigrants to join ... those soldiers would have to have had some legal status to qualify to enlist.
But special forces are.

He's probably a ex SEAL or Ranger but is too modest to tell us.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

YaTingPom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:20 pm
But special forces are.

He's probably a ex SEAL or Ranger but is too modest to tell us.
The Filipinos served with US Forces during WWII ... deputized perhaps by executive order (?) ... not exactly sure the specifics, but I know those veterans are still fighting for VA benefits.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

When I was on recruiting in Albuquerque, I had a buddy who was the recruiting HMFIC for the Pacific region. He told me a funny story how they would go out to places like Micronesia (a US protectorate) and screen applicants. For the girls on the outer islands, they would have to bring along T-shirts because they still are a topless culture. Rough duty.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Not sure about now, but a good friend of mine fled from Cuba and went to Vietnam to get US citizenship in the late 60's.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

hanno wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:39 pm
Not sure about now, but a good friend of mine fled from Cuba and went to Vietnam to get US citizenship in the late 60's.
He likely had paperwork ... prolly asylum status.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

This is true, they had temporary status already, but I meant gaining their permanent citizenship.

My point being that allowing undocumented migrants is simply widening the net for a system that is already quite sympathetic to anyone who will sacrifice a limb for its cause.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:48 pm
This is true, they had temporary status already, but I meant gaining their permanent citizenship.

My point being that allowing undocumented migrants is simply widening the net for a system that is already quite sympathetic to anyone who will sacrifice a limb for its cause.
Well, they have to do something drastic if they are gonna kick off WW III ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic