The Future of Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

The Future of Phnom Penh

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Two things:

1 TRAFFIC

As the building continues at break neck pace ... I can only imagine how much more traffic will come with all of it. Today, traffic is a pain in the rear, especially during school delivery & pickup times (SUV/minivan rush hour) ... I sure hope leaders in PP are planning a metro or BTS type project and not waiting until it becomes a nightmare. I have experienced the worst of the worst traffic and it blows ... LA, SF, DC, Honolulu, Houston, Sydney ... I feel like Phnom Penh is a very livable medium-sized city. But if they keep building and look past the traffic situation/solutions, I see it becoming very unlivable, just on traffic woes alone.

2 UNEMPLOYED DRIVERS

There has to be near a million Cambodians employed as drivers (estimate) ... In the next five years, most of them could be jobless as AI-powered vehicles replace traditional human-controlled vehicles. It is inevitable. Large companies in the transport industry will see the cost savings ... safety ... efficiency benefits and likely will get rid of human drivers in order to increase their profits. Hope these industries will help their drivers to transition (retraining) to another career field.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Future of Phnom Penh

Post by Clutch Cargo »

PP has a long way to catch up to BKK and Manila.. :twisted:

Can't really see AI vehicles taking over yet in 5 years in PP :hattip:
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The future looks bright, don't let any Greta or Mateo tell you otherwise.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:33 am PP has a long way to catch up to BKK and Manila.. :twisted:

It’s hard to even imagine it happening in next 10 years. No where near a million employed drivers anyway… and many delivery drivers (nham24, panda etc) only deliver as a side gig. As the demand for them decreases they’ll gradually divest into other roles.
I expect deliveries could become smarter with AI defined delivery routes which will decrease the number of delivery drivers, but that will need an improvement in addressing, Sreymom, Phmom Penh + phone number will no longer cut it as a delivery address.
But hey, 10 years ago not many saw passapp/grab take over from negotiated Tuktuk rides. So who knows?
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:45 am The future looks bright, don't let any Greta or Mateo tell you otherwise.
I would like to share your blind optimism.
Boredom is like a shroud
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:09 pm
Clutch Cargo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:33 am PP has a long way to catch up to BKK and Manila.. :twisted:

It’s hard to even imagine it happening in next 10 years. No where near a million employed drivers anyway… and many delivery drivers (nham24, panda etc) only deliver as a side gig. As the demand for them decreases they’ll gradually divest into other roles.
I expect deliveries could become smarter with AI defined delivery routes which will decrease the number of delivery drivers, but that will need an improvement in addressing, Sreymom, Phmom Penh + phone number will no longer cut it as a delivery address.
But hey, 10 years ago not many saw passapp/grab take over from negotiated Tuktuk rides. So who knows?
Yeah, I know my number is just a dumb guess, but many will be out of work as drivers sooner than you might think ... already underway in San Francisco. Once these companies crunch the data and realize how much more they can increase the bottom line, it'll happen lickity-split ... hide n watch ... in ASEAN, I suppose Singapore will start the party ... then the others will follow. Factor in drone delivery too.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I can get from my place to PNH for 16,300 riel, $4, in a Rormork through PassApp. I would laugh at anyone who thinks they could do it cheaper than that with AI.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Kenr wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:05 pm I can get from my place to PNH for 16,300 riel, $4, in a Rormork through PassApp. I would laugh at anyone who thinks they could do it cheaper than that with AI.
Yeah, whilst manpower is so cheap there would be little to no gains. It’s not like PP has a $15 per hour minimum wage to work with… in fact it’s not like Cambodia has any minimum wage for most.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

None of this AI driverless stuff has panned out nearly as fast as they said it would. Wait until we see it properly implemented in a developed country, and then give it another 10 years before it even starts to happen in Cambodia.

I’m not holding my breath for a subway or skytrain in PP either. They’ve been working on the one in HCMC for years, and as far as I know, none of it is operational yet.

I like Tuk Tuks anyway. I just wish they’d go back to the old fashioned ones that were pulled behind a motorcycle.
Last edited by Ryan754326 on Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I want the future of PP to be so gridlocked with cars in a total traffic jam 24 / 7 so that every car and motorbike driver knows what its like to have to walk down the middle of a road cause there is no room on the footpath.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic