Good News ... Bad News ...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Good News ... Bad News ...

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

The good news is I had a great time last night with a group of super friendly TukTuk guys. One guy spoke English and invited me over to their group where they were drinking a box of Ganzberg and watching something on a mobile phone. It was cock fighting and they were gambling and having a great time laughing, cheers, ribbing the losers ... real local type stuff, and I felt honored to be part of it and see the culture from a different level. Well, they drank all the beer and some guy showed up with a 1.5 ltr water bottle ... but it wasn't water ... it was jungle hooch. Well, one thing led to another and the natives were restless. One guy spoke pretty good English, and when the little shop where we were drinking closed, he said they were going to a real cock fight just down the road, and he invited me along. I had never been to a real cock fight ... and I felt good about these guys. I accepted. From there I don't remember much, but somehow I made it home safe and sound.

The bad news? I woke up with a very sore penis.

Happy Friday everybody ... thought I'd start the day with a funny.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Good News ... Bad News ...

Tough crowd
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Haven't seen cock fights with bids late at night, but your discovery the next morning might give you a clue about other types of interpretation. I (and quite high ranking others...) have seen the bird version countless of times in our backyard in the morning on weekends until the guy who owned the birds moved out.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Rode past a neighbors house in Kampot and the front gate of the place was crawling with cops in the beige uniforms. They had just busted the guy and a bunch of his Khmer buddies for cock fighting. They obviously don't take that kind of thing lightly when they find out what's going on. They later brought in a small truck to haul away all of the motos they confiscated.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I'm not going to ask the obvious question :drooling bouncy: :whistler:
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Purely a joke I wrote ...
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:07 am Purely a joke I wrote ...
So you didn't lose any money? :whistler:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

That episode reminds me of my first and second year in Cambodia. . . I was living in a row of small rooms across the river from the old town center... One of my neighbors was a junior military police officer. He used to invite his seniors for drinking sessions under a little gazebo there on Friday nights. Big plastic barrel full of ice and four cases of ABC and other beers... "Drink, drank, drunk" was their slogan. The military police guys were always ribbing me through the information office rep, who could speak a bit more English... "They think you're a drug dealer"... Which I wasn't... The job of the military police is to catch smugglers. There, I also met the provincial governor and chief of military police one night, too. Anyway, it was free beer steps away from my room, so never any issues. Those guys would drink a lot. I used to wonder how they drove their trucks home...

Speaking of fighting cocks... some years later, in Sihanoukville, one of my neighbors kept a lot of cocks for fighting in cages. They told me they would take home at least 100 dollars if their bird won its fight on weekends... Later, after I moved, someone told me that all the birds were stolen one night when they weren't there...

Anyway, you can buy them on Khmer24.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

orichá wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:27 pm That episode reminds me of my first and second year in Cambodia. . . I was living in a row of small rooms across the river from the old town center... One of my neighbors was a junior military police officer. He used to invite his seniors for drinking sessions under a little gazebo there on Friday nights. Big plastic barrel full of ice and four cases of ABC and other beers... "Drink, drank, drunk" was their slogan. The military police guys were always ribbing me through the information office rep, who could speak a bit more English... "They think you're a drug dealer"... Which I wasn't... The job of the military police is to catch smugglers. There, I also met the provincial governor and chief of military police one night, too. Anyway, it was free beer steps away from my room, so never any issues. Those guys would drink a lot. I used to wonder how they drove their trucks home...

Speaking of fighting cocks... some years later, in Sihanoukville, one of my neighbors kept a lot of cocks for fighting in cages. They told me they would take home at least 100 dollars if their bird won its fight on weekends... Later, after I moved, someone told me that all the birds were stolen one night when they weren't there...

Anyway, you can buy them on Khmer24.
I did spend many nights outside a little family market drinking cheap beer and rice wine with locals and expats near Oressey neighborhood, but the rest of it is just a joke I wrote ... joke writing for stand up is one of my off-duty hobbies. Just a joke to get the day started with a laugh, hopefully. Sorry if that didn't come clear.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic