Longtime Australian Expat KEN LONG Dies in Phnom Penh from Heart Attack After Slip in Bathroom

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Longtime Australian Expat KEN LONG Dies in Phnom Penh from Heart Attack After Slip in Bathroom

Post by violet »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:49 am Condolences to his friends and family.

I thought Ken Cramer (LTO), who passed away in 2016, was the Canby Publications owner though...did this Ken Long buy Canby?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501404958/ ... 01PZoVo5qM
Ken Long – well known in Phnom Penh expat and tourism circles as the publisher of the “Canby Guide” – is reported to have died in Phnom Penh.
Indeed Ken Cramer was Canby
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Longtime Australian Expat KEN LONG Dies in Phnom Penh from Heart Attack After Slip in Bathroom

Post by ExPenhMan »

Albror wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:36 am RIP

Death by falling in the bathroom is not such a uncommon occurance. When i shower and the floor is wet i walk really really carefully like a couple inches per step, for a reason. Those slippery tiles here are not to play with and certainly not if you slip and hit the back of your head on them or god forbid one of the sharp edges used to keep the water inside the shower.
A brief digression from the sad news:

The bathroom is the most dangerous room in the home. Mine has multiple anti-slip mats, with suction cups on the underside, on the shower floor and outside the shower. An absolute must. They are easily found in many shops and not at all expensive.

From the US CDC via Seattle Times, back in 2011:

Headline: The most dangerous room in the home
The smallest room in the house can be a dangerous place.

According to the [US] Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year about 235,000 people over age 15 visit emergency rooms because of injuries suffered in the bathroom, and almost 14 percent are hospitalized.

More than a third of the injuries happen while bathing or showering. More than 14 percent occur while using the toilet.

Injuries increase with age, peaking after 85, the researchers found. But injuries around the tub or shower are proportionately most common among those 15 to 24 years old and least common among those over 85. People over 85 suffer more than half of their injuries near the toilet.
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/lifes ... -the-home/

Back to the main story . . .
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Death by falling in the bathroom is not such a uncommon occurance. When i shower and the floor is wet i walk really really carefully like a couple inches per step, for a reason. Those slippery tiles here are not to play with and certainly not if you slip and hit the back of your head on them or god forbid one of the sharp edges used to keep the water inside the shower.
Yea , this is my biggest fear here , a freind of mine in sihanoukville bled out from his head
I forgot all about until it happened to me
i did fall back and crack my head open one time a few years ago ,
it was a shock and my apple watch ⌚️ went nuts !
Then I got giant non slip rugs and wear regular shoes
.. slip ons with non skid soles in the house all the time .
They are my indoor shoes .. that solved that problem for me
Think “ shower shoes “ when you are in a fancy hotel

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I haven't had any major slippages in a bathroom just yet, but I've had my share of slipping down wet stairs after it's been raining, which wasn't something I made a habit of doing back home. Can't remember if stairs back home were usually protected from slippages, perhaps rubberised around the edge in some way or not, but I've carried many bruises and dislocations from the attack of the wet stair here in Cambodia.

What a tragic story for a clearly very likeable fella.

RIP.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:22 pm

Yea , this is my biggest fear here ,
พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
its not even on my list of fears :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:49 pm I haven't had any major slippages in a bathroom just yet, but I've had my share of slipping down wet stairs after it's been raining, which wasn't something I made a habit of doing back home. Can't remember if stairs back home were usually protected from slippages, perhaps rubberised around the edge in some way or not, but I've carried many bruises and dislocations from the attack of the wet stair here in Cambodia.

What a tragic story for a clearly very likeable fella.

RIP.
In Cambodia they often use the pretty (slippery) tiles for floor & stairs. Beware, especially when wet.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:32 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:22 pm

Yea , this is my biggest fear here ,
พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
its not even on my list of fears :beer3:
Richard the Lion Hearted !
พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:04 pm

A brief digression from the sad news:

The bathroom is the most dangerous room in the home. Mine has multiple anti-slip mats, with suction cups on the underside, on the shower floor and outside the shower. An absolute must. They are easily found in many shops and not at all expensive.

From the US CDC via Seattle Times, back in 2011:

Headline: The most dangerous room in the home
The smallest room in the house can be a dangerous place.

According to the [US] Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year about 235,000 people over age 15 visit emergency rooms because of injuries suffered in the bathroom, and almost 14 percent are hospitalized.

More than a third of the injuries happen while bathing or showering. More than 14 percent occur while using the toilet.

Injuries increase with age, peaking after 85, the researchers found. But injuries around the tub or shower are proportionately most common among those 15 to 24 years old and least common among those over 85. People over 85 suffer more than half of their injuries near the toilet.
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/lifes ... -the-home/

Back to the main story . . .
I've had too many close calls and had a few friends have nasty falls in the bathroom. I finally just covered the entire floor with a non slip mat.

This is what I basically got...

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Khmer_Risotto wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:03 pm
This is probably a stupid question but do you have to stick it to the floor with something, or does it just stick automatically?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Looks like a mat I have. Just lay it down, doesn’t move in the shower. Can be pulled up for the occasional cleaning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic