Pre-marriage workshop

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Pre-marriage workshop

Post by Freightdog »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:09 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:56 pm
Many people end up dealing with the wrong people and/or fixers and end up getting fleeced purely because the information on the whole process is not readily available and can be confusing. Don’t get conned by people like the securoity guards at the entrances to the Ministries, or random people you ask for directions from.
Welp … guess I’ll just play my cards and see what transpires … wish us the best por favor mi amigos!
So, basically do nothing.

As someone who has recently traversed this very bureaucracy, I truly wish it were simplified. It’s laborious. It’s a lot of wasted time. And while there may be ways of getting it done more easily (agents, helpers, etc), these are not short cuts; It’s just getting someone else to do the scutwork.

Many people take the view that getting married isn’t worth it. In their case, it probably isn’t. If getting married is important, but where you get married is not, then I personally would avoid the Khmer system. That’s for you to judge, and is specific to you.
However, if a real Khmer marriage certificate is important to you both, I humbly suggest that you’re going about it all wrong.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

For me, I don’t give a hoot … but it’s important for my wife and her gang … I am just along for the ride.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:21 pm For me, I don’t give a hoot … but it’s important for my wife and her gang … I am just along for the ride.
Enjoy the ride!

Just curious at which point you're planning to take back control.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Doc67 wrote:I doubt it. He is busy importing a golf club that can reach the moon.
Comments like that belittle the OP’s post and discourage newcomers to share their experiences. Why do it?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:04 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:21 pm For me, I don’t give a hoot … but it’s important for my wife and her gang … I am just along for the ride.
Enjoy the ride!

Just curious at which point you're planning to take back control.
To take back control, you must have had it at some point. Do we know that's the case?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

OP - sit down with your beloved and ask her does she want a real wedding, or just a party to make the family and village feel good? Missus wanted a real wedding, and got it. I’ve been reaping the benefits ever since.

A real wedding certificate has advantages.

Marriage to a Cambodian national means you can get an EOS extension on a regular visa every year. Unlike a retirement visa extension, you can work and make money in Cambodia. Should things fall apart, there is some limited protection if it goes to court in terms of possessions and kids. Marriage to her, also allows sponsorship into the US. She gets a green card (and her kids) to the US and an eventual path to citizenship, if so desired. Lots of Khmer here need a good donut worker. (Just kidding)

Hope it all works out.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:05 pm
Doc67 wrote:I doubt it. He is busy importing a golf club that can reach the moon.
Comments like that belittle the OP’s post and discourage newcomers to share their experiences. Why do it?
Why do you think so? It hasn't discouraged you from "sharing your experiences", jizz tales included, after all.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:05 pm
Always so concerned about "newcomers". No regard for any posters with experience in Cambodia who are giving valid advice. The golf club comment was a joke. Most of us got that.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:15 pm Unlike a retirement visa extension, you can work and make money in Cambodia.
AFAIK the wedding route does not allow you to work.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:15 pm Marriage to a Cambodian national means you can get an EOS extension on a regular visa every year. Unlike a retirement visa extension, you can work and make money in Cambodia.
That sounds a bit misleading, why on Earth would someone who wants to work in Cambodia get a retirement extension of stay? Can someone who isn't married to a Cambodian not get a work permit and an extension of stay based on employment?

No need to answer. Personally, I think you have that upside down. For someone, who wants to live in Cambodia but does NOT want to work in Cambodia and isn't old enough for the retirement extension of stay yet, being married to a Cambodian is somewhat beneficial, as he can get an extension of stay based on being married. No need to get fake employment documents from an agent etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic