NFL (general discussion) starting with- Wide Receivers ... Top 3

Title says it all really...
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: NFL Wide Receivers ... Top 3

Post by Spigzy »

Played both rugby & American football; I can only explain the difference as a rugby winger that I could always see what was coming, adjust my body, brace, etc. So the impacts are still hard as hell in some cases, but predictable and thus less dangerous on the whole. In American football/all the gear, you can barely see a postcard through that helmet, and you get hit from all angles, not just what you can see in front of you. I got nailed by that cornerback right between the shouldblades & had no idea he was about to go through me like a dump truck; I was out for a good 5-10 mins to get my breath back. I have respect for both codes.

Baseball though, come on, catch with yer hands like cricketers do yer giant gum chewing, spitting, baseball cap wearing pansies!!!! :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

It’s a bit of a silly row IMO.

American football allows the hard hits because they are all padded up - if they didn’t have all the armour then there would be far more contact rules to keep the athletes safe-ish.
Rugby doesn’t have all the armour so they have more rules about what constitutes fair and safe-ish contact.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:31 am American football necessitates the protective pads and helmets. In general the American athletes are more powerful than athletes from other countries. Without that protective gear people would be dying every week.
You’ve never seen the All Blacks or South African rugby teams have you?

Or Tonga,Samoa and any of the other islander’s teams either?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Australia rules football is hella brutal ... 18-man squads, no pads, seemingly anything goes ... those dudes are rough & tough ... can't imagine they last more than a few seasons before getting put out to pasture.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

NFL ... If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Here we go again ... bored executives with nothing better to do than make stupid complicated rule changes to the game of NFL football (viewership is way up btw) ... I once had a female senior in the Marines ... she would want to rearrange our office every six months ... not that the two are related, but one can easily draw parallels. #leavethegamealone

NFL Owners Approve 'Drastic' Change to Kickoff Rules
Kickoff returns are returning

by Newser Editors and Wire Services
March 26, 2024

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh talks with reporters during an AFC coaches availability at the NFL owners meetings, Monday, March 25, 2024, in Orlando, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Kickoff returns are returning to the NFL. Team owners on Tuesday approved a new rule that will take what essentially had become "a dead play" and make it an integral part of the game again. "We feel this is a great day for the NFL," said Saints special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi, who was heavily involved in creating the framework for the new hybrid kickoff. The major overhaul to special teams—which has been in the works for years—takes elements of the kickoff rules used in the XFL and tweaks them for use in the NFL beginning in 2024, the AP reports. The rule will be in play for one season on a trial basis and then be subject to renewal in 2025.

NFL Competition Committee chairman Rich McKay said the new rule passed by a 29-3 to vote. It needed 24 votes to pass. "There was a little fear of the unknown," McKay said. "I think the optics are definitely the most drastic (rule change) we've seen. The thing that gives us all the comfort is we have the tape, we've seen it. We can show you the plays and you can see how this can play out." McKay said there was urgency to vote on this rule before the draft because it could impact the way teams structure rosters. There were 1,970 touchbacks on kickoffs last season that now could be returns. There were 92 fair catches last season that are no longer allowed. Any ball caught in the field of play must be returned.

"I'm all for it," Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. "You have 2,000 dead plays. Nobody wants to see that. It'll add excitement and newness." How the new rule works:

For a standard kickoff, the ball would be kicked from the 35-yard line with the 10 kick coverage players lined up at the opposing 40, with five on each side of the field.

The return team would have at least nine blockers lined up in the "set up zone" between the 30- and 35-yard line, with at least seven of those players touching the 35. There would be up to two returners allowed inside the 20.

Only the kicker and two returners would be allowed to move until the ball hits the ground or was touched by a returner inside the 20.

Any kick that reaches the end zone in the air can be returned, or the receiving team can opt for a touchback and possession at the 30. Any kick that reaches the end zone in the air and goes out of bounds or out of the end zone also would result in a touchback at the 30.
If a ball hits a returner or the ground before the end zone and goes into the end zone, a touchback would be at the 20 or the play could be returned.
story continues below

In other rule changes, the owners voted to make two tweaks to instant replay. Replay can now be used to review whether the game clock expired before the snap and also can correct an obvious error when a passer was ruled down by contact or out of bounds before throwing the ball. Owners also voted to move the trade deadline back one week to the Tuesday following the end of Week 9 and will allow a team to elevate a "bona fide" quarterback from the practice squad an unlimited amount of times to be the emergency third quarterback.

Bill Shakey
Tourist
Jamaica

Re: NFL (general discussion) starting with- Wide Receivers ... Top 3

Post by Bill Shakey »

What does this stupid game have to do with Cambodia?
Bill Shakey
Tourist
Jamaica

Re: NFL (general discussion) starting with- Wide Receivers ... Top 3

Post by Bill Shakey »

'In general the American athletes are more powerful than athletes from other countries'. What a nonsense.

You’re talking about a game that was once played with 15 players to mimic rugby until one day only 11 turned up so you thought you’d change the rules and steal the name from the world’s biggest most popular sport and claim it for yourselves, like taking the name of the entire continent from multiple countries and telling anyone who’d listen that that’s yours too. The columnist George F. Will described gridiron (the best name I’d give it) as illustrating the two worst aspects of US society, that being “long committee meetings punctuated by sporadic violence”. Most players in the sport don’t even touch the ball let alone kick it, so what would you know? Maybe if the US played the same sports as everyone else arguably your foreign policy might make more sense in that you might understand how the rest of the world works and thinks, and be more attuned than you are, which is to say hardly at all. And while we’re on that subject look at what your foreign policy did to Cambodia, the flow-on effects of which we still see today. Sounds like someone else who knows nothing about history and even less about sport.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic