Dengue fever hospitalization??

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Dengue fever hospitalization??

Post by wolfcreek »

Is hospitalization the norm for dengue fever?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Dengue fever hospitalization??

Post by Alex »

No, only if it's a severe case.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I had it last year in Saigon ... 72 hours of feeling like 10 lbs of hammered sh*t ... my immune system is pretty solid though, so no big whoop.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I was hospitalised for a few nights with my first bout of dengue, was man down! Really didn't need to be hospitalised in my opinion, but was in no shape to argue with my wife.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

wolfcreek wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:07 pm Is hospitalization the norm for dengue fever?

Maybe, depending on who the patient and their doctor are

I certainly wouldn't mind, in retrospect, having been in a hospital last time I had dengue
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

wolfcreek wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:07 pm Is hospitalization the norm for dengue fever?
Clinics in Cambodia generally will insist on hospitalization because using IV is much easier then and so are daily blood tests.

However, there's no need. Sitting it out at home will be fine for most as long as one follows the guidelines and checks for complications starting day 3 of the disease.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:05 am
Clinics in Cambodia generally will insist on hospitalization because using IV is much easier then and so are daily blood tests.

However, there's no need. Sitting it out at home will be fine for most as long as one follows the guidelines and checks for complications starting day 3 of the disease.
Yes, but if temp rises above, say, 42/43 ... better check in. Otherwise, just push fluids, avoid sugar, carbs, junks food, get some chicken soup into your belly, get 10 minutes of daily sunlight, light exercise (don't lay in bed 24/7), and know that your body can beat it. You will be ok.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

A friend of mine was hospitalized with it, one of my in laws spent one night and was home afterwards. I guess it depends on the severity of it, but I don’t think hospitalization is necessary for most cases.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:22 am

Yes, but if temp rises above, say, 42/43 ... better check in. Otherwise, just push fluids, avoid sugar, carbs, junks food, get some chicken soup into your belly, get 10 minutes of daily sunlight, light exercise (don't lay in bed 24/7), and know that your body can beat it. You will be ok.
By the time your body temperature reaches 43°C you don't go anywhere anymore.
With dengue generally the fever isn't the major problem, even though the fever can be high and is very persistent. Paracetamol will barely help and ibuprofen is a no go because it makes the blood thinner thus improving the chances of complications. It's the signs of (internal)bleeding you have to look for. When bleeding from the nose, mouth (gums), or under the skin (blue spots) go to a hospital or you might get into a shock and your chances will drop significantly. You can monitor this process by running daily blood tests (starting day three of the disease, complications generally start day 4-5-6) and check for the amount of platelets (plaquettes) in ur blood.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The main risks are dengue shock and hemorrhaging out. My dead barang count includes three who died as a result of dengue fever complications

Also, if you tend towards being anemic - you have a higher risk of dengue complications - and very, very many Khmer (mainly wammen and kids) tend toward anemia because of poor dietary habits.

It's a relatively serious illness and shouldn't be trivialized
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic