Dengue fever hospitalization??

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Dengue fever hospitalization??

Post by Alex »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:05 am It's a relatively serious illness and shouldn't be trivialized
In the vast majority of people, it isn't serious, just (very) unpleasant. However, it's important to be aware of the possibility of the disease taking a more serious turn.

Personally, I wouldn't stay in hospital proactively just because of that possibility, as I just dislike hospitals too much to spend more time there than necessary. But I know people who did. Those are people who live alone, so they were better off being looked after at a hospital. I'd say that's a factor to consider, chances are you'll feel really unwell even if hospitalization isn't required.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Dengue fever hospitalization??

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:05 am The main risks are dengue shock and hemorrhaging out. My dead barang count includes three who died as a result of dengue fever complications

Also, if you tend towards being anemic - you have a higher risk of dengue complications - and very, very many Khmer (mainly wammen and kids) tend toward anemia because of poor dietary habits.

It's a relatively serious illness and shouldn't be trivialized
For both of our older kids, separate occasions, they were kept in overnight for observation. This was a while ago, and after I had pushed the other half when their temperatures had become alarmingly high.
The main benefit in their case was being on a drip, getting fluids, in a controlled environment. As much as it can be in Cambodia, anyway.

While both kids were running around happily, still eating and drinking willingly, and otherwise responsive, the raised temperature was probably more a concern to me. But when it hit 39°, and they were clearly miserable, it was a bit of a fight to get swmbo to understand that they did need a proper medical assessment, and diagnosis was confirmed by blood tests.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic