The amazing fake 20 dollars adventure

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

The amazing fake 20 dollars adventure

Post by Mostcurious »

Hi everyone just like to share this story. You might have heard a similar tale a few times before.

A few weeks ago I was in Phon Penh and decided to have a massage at one of the 2 massage parlors on St 154 near the riverside in Phnom Penh.
There were 2 ladies sitting outside one of whom guided me into a room with a mattress on the floor. She told me to put my belongings in a locker, silly me did this.
She proceeded to massage me for what appeared to be a long time. Then her colleague came in, she swapped and gave me a happy ending. I payed up, collected my belongings and left.
Back at the hotel I checked my bum bag and felt something wasn't right, I was missing a $20 note. I also examined the other notes and they felt odd. I went downstairs to the hotel entrance and asked the hotel receptionist to examine the notes. She told me they were fake. I was so shocked.
I was determined to not let these unscrupulous massage workers get away with this criminal activity. So I went outside and haled a Tuk Tuk driver who luckily spoke good English. We traveled to a nearby police station to make a complaint.
I wasn't sure how cooperative the police would be, however I explained what happened to them and where the location of the massage parlor was. So I got back into the Tuk Tuk and headed towards the massage shop with a 2 police men on a motorbike following us.
Travelling along the riverside I was telling the Tuk Tuk driver where to go and constantly checking if the police were still following.This was strangely very exciting,I got quite an adrenaline rush.
On arrival at the massage parlor. The 2 naughty ladies were sitting outside the massage parlor. I exited the Tuk Tuk and walked over to them and said quite sternly that they had given me fake 20 dollar bills and I wanted my money back. They knew what they had done and without hesitation gave me back my real money and also for the $20 note that went missing which they gave me without argument.
As a thank you I gave $20 to the Tuk Tuk driver and another $20 to the police officers for there help.
Yes in a way I lost money, but justice prevailed.
It was quite an adventure. So just as warning to other travelers, be very wary of having massages in these cheap looking massage parlors. Always keep a close eye on your belongings.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: The amazing fake 20 dollars adventure

Post by Ghostwriter »

Wow, amazing ^^

That's another one on the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list on that matter
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

That"s the first thing on the "Not to do" list if you do a little research before coming to Cambodia., but amaze me how still people fall into it. :lol: :lol: Whats the thrill? Cheap 5$ massage? Or outworn ladies?
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That's why I only ever go to the blind massage places. They can't even find your wallet.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Karma is a bitch
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Next instalment :

My night out at Candy Bar!
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Thanks for the heads up!

Any physical characteristics to be on the look out for? Black hair? Cheap make-up?
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

Earl of Mercia wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:42 am Next instalment :

My night out at Candy Bar!
Candy Bar has now closed
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:39 am Thanks for the heads up!

Any physical characteristics to be on the look out for? Black hair? Cheap make-up?
Not an expert on ladies make-up so can't tell you.
The massage lady was questionable marriage material I think.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

I have a lockable backpack. Theres company called Pacsafe that has lockable bags (I am not affiliated with them, just a customer).
They also sell RFID blockers, and a metal chain that you can lock to a piece of furniture.

Inside my locked bag ive got a tracking device as well so that i can see where my bag is at all times.
I even have one of these in europe with a piece of luggage in storage, and it hasnt moved in 8 months since ive been in Asia.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Matty9999 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:26 am I have a lockable backpack. Theres company called Pacsafe that has lockable bags (I am not affiliated with them, just a customer).
They also sell RFID blockers, and a metal chain that you can lock to a piece of furniture.

Inside my locked bag ive got a tracking device as well so that i can see where my bag is at all times.
I even have one of these in europe with a piece of luggage in storage, and it hasnt moved in 8 months since ive been in Asia.
Good scoop, thanks man!

I need one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic