The amazing fake 20 dollars adventure

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
greggles
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: The amazing fake 20 dollars adventure

Post by greggles »

Mostcurious wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:11 pm ...
3. Whilst on the mattress having a massage from first lady, a second lady entered the room and removed the bum bag from the locker.
No. It's much simpler than that.
Their "lockers" are secretly accessible to them from the wall at the back/side.
greggles
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by greggles »

Mostcurious wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:38 pm Hi everyone just like to share this story. You might have heard a similar tale a few times before.
I was determined to not let these unscrupulous massage workers get away with this criminal activity. So I went outside and haled a Tuk Tuk driver who luckily spoke good English. We traveled to a nearby police station to make a complaint.
I wasn't sure how cooperative the police would be, however I explained what happened to them and where the location of the massage parlor was. So I got back into the Tuk Tuk and headed towards the massage shop with a 2 police men on a motorbike following us.
Others are not so lucky!
Which "police station" did you go to?
Please give me the exact address, and the name of whomever you spoke to?
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

I don't know the address of the police station or the individuals I spoke to.

Was recently looking on YouTube. There is a popular Cambodian vlogger who posted a video of his experience at a similar massage parlor, where he lost $300 dollars. !!!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Mostcurious wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:31 am I don't know the address of the police station or the individuals I spoke to.

Was recently looking on YouTube. There is a popular Cambodian vlogger who posted a video of his experience at a similar massage parlor, where he lost $300 dollars. !!!
Having $100 bills swapped in such a scenario seems to be common enough. You were unlucky, if I may say so, that your shop had the good sense to stock fake $20 bills as well.
greggles
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by greggles »

Mostcurious wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:31 am I don't know the address of the police station or the individuals I spoke to. ...
That's a huge shame, because you got so lucky finding non-corrupt "police" at a non-corrupt station! (WOW! I'm amazed!) I really need to know where it was! Can you please go back around the area ASAP and try to remember?

In a still ongoing effort to resolve this scam, everyone I've spoken with who experienced the same thievery as you, either got nothing back, or only some. (And some people lost many $thousands!) Furthermore, where the victim figured out exactly what happened, and had ample proof (which I have a copy of some of the videos - for anyone who wants them), the "police" they spoke with all refused to go to the shop to investigate the fake "locker" (because they know about the whole deal, and are in on it (they get a cut))!

They could easily shut down all the many known scam shops in a week if they wanted to. It's far too obvious why this is still going on (for how many years now!?).

Most locals are also well aware of it. Some places like hotels even post signs all around their reception/lobby with warnings.

If anyone wants to help out with resolving all these scam shops, please contact me.
Does anyone know a media team who can come along and report on it all officially?
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

greggles wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:52 am
Mostcurious wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:31 am I don't know the address of the police station or the individuals I spoke to. ...
That's a huge shame, because you got so lucky finding non-corrupt "police" at a non-corrupt station! (WOW! I'm amazed!) I really need to know where it was! Can you please go back around the area ASAP and try to remember?

In a still ongoing effort to resolve this scam, everyone I've spoken with who experienced the same thievery as you, either got nothing back, or only some. (And some people lost many $thousands!) Furthermore, where the victim figured out exactly what happened, and had ample proof (which I have a copy of some of the videos - for anyone who wants them), the "police" they spoke with all refused to go to the shop to investigate the fake "locker" (because they know about the whole deal, and are in on it (they get a cut))!

They could easily shut down all the many known scam shops in a week if they wanted to. It's far too obvious why this is still going on (for how many years now!?).

Most locals are also well aware of it. Some places like hotels even post signs all around their reception/lobby with warnings.

If anyone wants to help out with resolving all these scam shops, please contact me.
Does anyone know a media team who can come along and report on it all officially?
Hello there.
Not meaning to be cynical, the reality is unless you work for the Cambodian government you single handily cannot sort out this scam.
The average police officer in Cambodia earns about $7000. Property is going up in price in Phnom Penh. So I can understand the extra income from illegal activities.
This is wrong. How do you intend to stop this ?.
All that foreigners can do is inform others on social media of this scam.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

greggles wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:52 am

Just wait 'til they figure out "hacking" ... in Vietnam, they figured it out ... got me for more than $10k over 3 years ... sigh ...
greggles
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by greggles »

Are you still in Phnom Penh? Can you please go back around the area ASAP and try to remember which station you went to? (This is important, or I wouldn't ask again.)
Mostcurious wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:20 am This is wrong. How do you intend to stop this ?.
Think and be creative. No need for anything criminal or "illegal" on our part. It's possible (but risky, due to the criminals behind it, who may become violent when their "income" from all the theft drops to zero).
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

Now back in the UK, I am no longer in Phnom Penh, it was a city I visited traveling around SE Asia.

To catch the criminal massage workers in the act maybe position a secret camera in your belongings along with a motion sensor alarm padlock (as shown below) when they are put in the locker, this might be a good idea.

My other main concern is the circulation of fake alcohol in the lady bars, that will be for another thread.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

greggles wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:52 am If anyone wants to help out with resolving all these scam shops, please contact me.
Just photograph them in action and post it on google reviews

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Angel ... ?entry=ttu
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic