The amazing fake 20 dollars adventure

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: The amazing fake 20 dollars adventure

Post by Albror »

If i go to a massage parlor i go there with only a single 50.000 khr note in my wallet just so i dont have to worry.

Hard to enjoy a massage when you at the same time have to worry about this.

Good story tho.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I would second recommending PacSafe and also recommend Travelon as well. Both durable, well made bags with multiple security features. Travelon has a weird zipper locking mechanism that takes some getting used to.

I normally travel with a small sling/belt. Put all the valuables in the sling. I rest my head down on the sling in a dodgy massage place.

Many of the blind can see, but not well. Plus those places often give keyed lockers where you carry the key during the massage.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:47 pm I would second recommending PacSafe and also recommend Travelon as well. Both durable, well made bags with multiple security features. Travelon has a weird zipper locking mechanism that takes some getting used to.

I normally travel with a small sling/belt. Put all the valuables in the sling. I rest my head down on the sling in a dodgy massage place.

Many of the blind can see, but not well. Plus those places often give keyed lockers where you carry the key during the massage.
And how has that worked out for you? You've managed to keep a few hundred dollars in travel cash safe thanks to being such a smart guy, but allowed your wife's family to take tens of thousands from you. :bow:

"Keyed lockers", you say. Now that would give me immense peace of mind, I'm sure nobody has ever had the brilliant idea to rummage through those lockers with a spare key.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:47 pm I would second recommending PacSafe and also recommend Travelon as well. Both durable, well made bags with multiple security features. Travelon has a weird zipper locking mechanism that takes some getting used to.

And how has that worked out for you? You've managed to keep a few hundred dollars in travel cash safe thanks to being such a smart guy, but allowed your wife's family to take tens of thousands from you. :bow:

"Keyed lockers", you say. Now that would give me immense peace of mind, I'm sure nobody has ever had the brilliant idea to rummage through those lockers with a spare key.
Thanks for always looking at the glass half empty.

Missus’ family directly affects her. There is no choice. Just sent her father for cremation last weekend and then a ceremony at the temple here as well. Brought my parents as well. 100% obligations. Cost isn’t a consideration at that point.

Every massage place could use knock out drops and then rob. Should I worry about that as well?

Take precautions, but I don’t overly worry about every small detail all the time. I’m the dumbest, most non-ambitious guy around. I just want a simple life, and small joys. A loving better half, and a cheap massage. Probable retirement in Cambodia for the future.

Else no point in stepping out of the house if I worry about being cheated or robbed at every turn.
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

Here's what must of happened -
1. The first massage lady asked me to place the bum bag in the locker as shown in the diagram below.
2. I lie face down on mattress and the first massage lady starts massaging me.
3. Whilst on the mattress having a massage from first lady, a second lady entered the room and removed the bum bag from the locker.
**** During this period a mobile phone was playing loud music to muffle sound of second massage lady ****
4. After rifling through bum bag , it was placed back into locker by second lady who then leaves room.
5. First lady swaps over with second lady who comes back into room to give happy ending massage.
6. Massage finishes, I pay massage lady, then collect belongings and leave unaware of what has just happened.

Is was a mistake to use this cheap massage shop, I will know for next time.
Hopefully other people reading this on CEF will not make the same mistake.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Mostcurious wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:11 pm Is was a mistake to use this cheap massage shop, I will know for next time.
Hopefully other people reading this on CEF will not make the same mistake.
If you’ve been active on the forum, or in Cambodia in general, then you should be aware that this is no new thing. Maybe the denomination of the notes makes it a little more (or is that less?) concerning. It’s not that particular massage shop that’s the issue. It’s that type of massage shop that’s the issue. There are so many reports of tourists getting taken like this. It’s usually naive, first time in the country types, though.

What’s remarkable (to me, at least) about this particular event, is the reported concern of the police regarding $20 bills, the willingness of the massage staff to come clean. Almost a first.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Next time someone goes for one of these massages you should try this, and report back.

Leave no genuine $ in your wallet or bum bag. Put 5 or 6 'copy' hundreds in the wallet or bum bag.

After you leave, check your wallet/bum bag. You should have 5 or 6 genuine franklins. :thumb:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:07 pm
Alex wrote:

Missus’ family directly affects her. There is no choice. Just sent her father for cremation last weekend and then a ceremony at the temple here as well. Brought my parents as well. 100% obligations. Cost isn’t a consideration at that point.

Every massage place could use knock out drops and then rob. Should I worry about that as well?

Take precautions, but I don’t overly worry about every small detail all the time. I’m the dumbest, most non-ambitious guy around. I just want a simple life, and small joys. A loving better half, and a cheap massage. Probable retirement in Cambodia for the future.

Else no point in stepping out of the house if I worry about being cheated or robbed at every turn.
Only if you are James Bond in your spare time.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:52 am Next time someone goes for one of these massages you should try this, and report back.

Leave no genuine $ in your wallet or bum bag. Put 5 or 6 'copy' hundreds in the wallet or bum bag.

After you leave, check your wallet/bum bag. You should have 5 or 6 genuine franklins. :thumb:
Will we get our 'other' expenses covered by CEO?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:07 pm
Alex wrote:

Good talking ...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic