Ireland

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Ireland

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:34 pm Before the Irish Economic Miracle, Ireland was a laggard country in Europe. Endemic corruption, low social benefits, few job prospects, have encouraged the Irish to flee to other lands for centuries. As a result the Irish GDP was one of the lowest in Europe.

Then after joining the EU, Ireland had a radical new strategy. Drop the corporate tax rate to encourage growth. It worked.

Corporations set up shop in Ireland, making it the EU headquarters. Profits were only taxed at the Irish rate for the entire EU.

However it’s been a double edged sword. Companies only established headquarters, not factories and research centers. High paid execs from all over the world flew in to settle there, aka expats. They caused increases in housing and land prices and more importantly, increased the GDP, leading to an Economic Miracle.

The increased GDP has not made the lives of the average Irish better, however. But the increased GDP means Ireland has to be more responsible to European issues refugee relocation.

I’m sure many Irish will disagree and hate my opinions.
Sweet Jesus, now you're an expert on Ireland, too. Are there no limits? Out of curiosity, have you ever been to Ireland, or to an Irish pub at least?
Did I ever say I was an expert on Ireland?

I merely contributed an opinion, based on a different perspective of what’s going on, instead of the usual blame the foreigner for causing all the problems path that was in the last string of responses. Ireland is forced to let the refugees in, but is unprepared to do so.

If you have a different perspective, we’d all love for you to share.

Instead you want to want to attack this poster and thus discourage others who don’t want to toe your line. This scares others into not posting and staying silent.

There are multiple economic and on the ground reports out on line about Ireland.

I would love to visit someday, when I get better.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

To be fair, as we say in Ireland, New Kid has at least gone to some effort to understand the country's current woes. Of course by trying to summarise a complicated situation we end up with huge gaps in timelines and relevant information and context. And some of what he wrote is inaccurate but at least he tried.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:To be fair, as we say in Ireland, New Kid has at least gone to some effort to understand the country's current woes. Of course by trying to summarise a complicated situation we end up with huge gaps in timelines and relevant information and context. And some of what he wrote is inaccurate but at least he tried.
Please fill in the gaps!

Not everyone is native Irish like you.

I’d love to know more in depth.

I’m sure many others would as well.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 am
John Bingham wrote:To be fair, as we say in Ireland, New Kid has at least gone to some effort to understand the country's current woes. Of course by trying to summarise a complicated situation we end up with huge gaps in timelines and relevant information and context. And some of what he wrote is inaccurate but at least he tried.
Please fill in the gaps!

Not everyone is native Irish like you.

I’d love to know more in depth.

I’m sure many others would as well.
In a nutshell; The English, for at least 800 years and counting...
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Irish authorities are investigating one of their own citizens for so-called hate speech.
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/dublin ... d-31543575
Conor McGregor is now officially part of an investigation by gardai over alleged incitement to hatred around the Dublin riots.
This paper has learned that following an examination of recent social media remarks by the UFC star, McGregor is now part of a wider official criminal probe which was formally alluded to yesterday by Garda Commissioner Drew Harris.
The bad mofo in question:
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

He is a same as all the rest of the useless layabouts wrecking their city, a thug pikey, but famous and wealthy.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

YaTingPom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:10 am He is a same as all the rest of the useless layabouts wrecking their city, a thug pikey, but famous and wealthy.
He is trying to help the people of Ireland. Seems pretty useful now.
https://x.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/17 ... 71358?s=20

Another good point made.
https://x.com/michaelbd/status/1729484521890803858?s=20
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:29 am
YaTingPom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:10 am He is a same as all the rest of the useless layabouts wrecking their city, a thug pikey, but famous and wealthy.

Another good point made.
I don't necessarily disagree with Connor, but it's pretty ironic him saying this...

"I do not connect crime with migration. I connect crime to your governments many failed policies in protecting and securing the inhabitants of Ireland. There is a real lapse in national security. We need a brand new task force founded to assess all entrants into Ireland. Our natives and our visitors will all benefit with this peace of mind. We need deportation of those here illegally or that have committed a crime here. There needs to be a brand new unit founded specifically for this task.
Call it “Ireland Protect ☘️"

... when he's currently living in the US, spends time in several other countries, and gets in trouble with the law everywhere he goes. He has a long list of arrests for assault, being a drunken dickhead, driving offenses, and several accusations of rape against him.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:08 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:29 am

Another good point made.
I don't necessarily disagree with Connor, but it's pretty ironic him saying this...

"I do not connect crime with migration. I connect crime to your governments many failed policies in protecting and securing the inhabitants of Ireland. There is a real lapse in national security. We need a brand new task force founded to assess all entrants into Ireland. Our natives and our visitors will all benefit with this peace of mind. We need deportation of those here illegally or that have committed a crime here. There needs to be a brand new unit founded specifically for this task.
Call it “Ireland Protect ☘️"

... when he's currently living in the US, spends time in several other countries, and gets in trouble with the law everywhere he goes. He has a long list of arrests for assault, being a drunken dickhead, driving offenses, and several accusations of rape against him.
Maybe not my first choice to be the spokesman for Irish nationalism, but his heart seems to be in the right place. Plus, I have some admiration for untamed white men.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

McGregor is also an associate of the Kinahans, a very powerful drug syndicate who have committed a huge number of murders.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic