Quality tools question - well 2 of them

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Quality tools question - well 2 of them

Post by ressl »

1) I habe a ±15 year old BTI electric drill, which is basically a Bosch with a different color. Today I went to the shop ±200m away from the Chinese embassy and when entering the door with the old battery in my hands, the watchdog spotted it immediately with his hawk eyes and told me before I could ask, that they don't have it. So I went to a shop on 432 I knew to have a huge selection of Bosch tools (recently bought a 4” Tungsten blade there). But they didn't have it as well. A bit desperate I went to Global Home this evening (and although seeing there the same Tungsten blade for +25% what I had paid), but they didn't have the battery as well. Anyone any idea, which shop could have a GSE 12VE-2 or a PSR 12VE-2 battery on stock?

2) I somehow managed to loose my 10 wrench and as anyone with a certain sense for tools already knows, that's a bit unfortunate size to lack of... I don't expect any stock, but is there any shop that can at least order Gedore (not Gedore red), Stahlwille, Elora or maybe even Proxxon? Hazet might come to ones mind here as well, however I made very bad experiences (of which one did hurt quite a lot) with this brand, so Hazet is not on my list of prefered tools any longer.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Flexxman
Expatriate

Re: Quality tools question - well 2 of them

Post by Flexxman »

On your first question: are you aware that most/all cordless powertools use the same standard off-the-shelf cells inside the pack, using different outside connectors to lock you in with their brand for replacements? And that these single cells cost only a few dollars each to replace?

https://makezine.com/article/technology ... ack-cells/
https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/ ... l-battery/

15 years old might mean NiCad cells that might be hard to source but you can replace with NiMh variants.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Quality tools question - well 2 of them

Post by ressl »

Yes, sub-c cells for NiMH or Ni-Cd and the usual 18650 for LiIon. The one in question is (well, was) a Ni-Cd. However, I had modified the old pack years ago so that the machine can get operated with a cord directly on the car battery (complex story why this was required instead of just having a battery pack) and now I want to use the machine again in the ordinary way how cordless drills are intended to be used

Fun fact: I have a very small, old Makita (30+ years) as well. Some time ago I went to the Makita shop here in Phnom Penh and while just looking around, to my big surprise I saw that they have a battery pack that fits in the shelf. So I got the machine from home and asked staff, if they have a battery pack for it. The answer was no. So I pointed them out, that they do have and made clear, that according to the look of the worn down and bleached package, that it is rotting here for some years, I doubt that they will ever sell it and I know that the (Ni-Cd) cells are basically trash after being stored uncharged for years. So they looked up the price and told me, that the ordinary price is $45 and they now check for me a special price. After 20 minutes they got back to me and told me, that the special price is $45. An empty housing (kit, comes with everything, except cells) on AliExpress is $3 (+$3 shipping). Unfortunately not available for the Bosch
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic