Sihanouville Travel Destination - Is it worth Visiting ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Sihanouville Travel Destination - Is it worth Visiting ?

Post by rogerrabbit »

johnny lightning wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:52 pm As a one time resident of the place I can only say that the OP's idea of progress and mine differ greatly!
Someone might call it progress when the population has doubled and same time a notable reduction in severe flooding occurrences, and the absence of water and electricity disruptions.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

orichá wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:19 pm Great location to make an action movie...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Earl of Mercia wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:20 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:48 am wasn't good visit for this guy

Handcuffed and beaten foreigner found in canal

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501397162/ ... -in-canal/
Maybe he had one too many beers and just veered off the road in the dark on his scooter,let’s not be too judgemental until we have the full story?
And he handcuffed himself before or after he veered off the road?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Otres, ( Sihanoukville) died when papa john died
have zero reason to return for the wake

No one else has picked out the misspelling>>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:22 am
orichá wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:19 pm Great location to make an action movie...
Yes, a great location for an action movie about Chinese gangsters.
Yes, of course, and also Thais, Vietnamese, Americans, Jews, Serbians, Croatians, Russians, Bangladeshis, Indians, Pakistanis, Italians, Spanish, Germans, Swedes, Taiwanese, Japanese, Koreans, Africans and Chinese triads from Guandong and Hong Kong ...

NARCOS 4: Asian Exchange

I have been mulling the idea for some time. But Netflix and Amazon are America/UK-bound, and there is no local Italian or Brazilian division here...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I applaud the lessening of flooding and fewer power cuts. The doubling of the population (Khmers,right?) in a town that looks like much of it is Gaza, not so much.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

It always had a seedy charm. I spent months at a time there. Went fishing on Brian’s boat and stayed on Koh Rong once. The island with the jetty, was that Rong or Saleum? Had lots of mates, drank at Tony’s awful bar and went to quiz nights at that place below Victory Hill. Stayed for a few months on Victory Hill, enjoyed mornings at Hawaii was it? The black fireman from England had the shack there. Way back went on Roddy’s brothel tours chasing the dragon, frequented the chicken farm and Biba sometimes. And that other brothel in town, Rainbow something.
Liked swimming below Independence Hotel. Stayed at the Hoo Ha for months at a time. The young pommy blokes built it. There was a bowl of ganga on the bar and sometimes a bowl of that horse tranquilliser stuff. In 2012/13 stayed at a mates hotel at Otres. The beach was beautiful. Found a facebook photo from 2016 of the family and a birthday cake at that hotel. The Chinese had just offered to buy it so it was just before the invasion. Took my daughter to the orthodontist the other day and when I said she was from Cambodia the receptionist said I went there. She said she went to Sihanoukville and left her phone on the beach while swimming. Stolen of course. And she swam everyday with a cut on her leg which became badly infected.
Now that is the genuine Sihanoukville experience. I must have visited 50 times but won’t see it again in this life.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Whoring, drugs and drinking.

That's what most expats and visitors did since the first backpackers in the 90s.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

There wasn't a lot else to do back then. Not that I minded. Used to sit at the Marlin once in while having a sundowner and watching the cattle wander back home down mainstreet. Not sure I would even recognize that spot any more.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

There's a lot of whining going on here. Sitting on the beach with an ice cold beer in hand, the sunset looks just the same as 20 or 50 years ago.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic