Custom furniture

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Custom furniture

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Anyone know a good carpenter in PP who can build me a couple bookcases from quality wood?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Custom furniture

Post by Tootsfriend »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:19 pm Anyone know a good carpenter in PP who can build me a couple bookcases from quality wood?

From what I have seen, carpentry skills and final finish of most wood products is sadly lacking, probably because most small wood working shops dont have modern machinery to get that accurate final cut and joint finish.

I saw a big bookshelf in one place that consisted of several heavy 12 inch by 2 inch planks about 3 m long, from a demolition job, which were polished then stacked and separated by bricks. Probably the best way to go if you ever had to move house.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Tootsfriend wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:13 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:19 pm Anyone know a good carpenter in PP who can build me a couple bookcases from quality wood?

From what I have seen, carpentry skills and final finish of most wood products is sadly lacking, probably because most small wood working shops dont have modern machinery to get that accurate final cut and joint finish.

I saw a big bookshelf in one place that consisted of several heavy 12 inch by 2 inch planks about 3 m long, from a demolition job, which were polished then stacked and separated by bricks. Probably the best way to go if you ever had to move house.
I've seen some good stuff around town in local joints ... gotta be a talented carpenter out there looking for jobs. This is a pretty specific project for an interior design project. Thanks.
Kangaruchi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kangaruchi »

I've used a small shop on Sotheros for custom projects in the past and was very satisfied with the results, if you're heading south on Sotheros it's on the north side after st 312 and before Almond Hotel, about opposite Royal Inn, I don't remember the name.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Skills are higher, quality is better and prices are lower in the countryside.
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

If i recall correctly, one of the issue in Cambodia is that the wood is often not properly dried. so things are moving in the long term
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

If you expect to move apartment anytime in the future, make sure you in know how much it will weigh or if it can be taken apart and put back together. Proper "quality wood" here can be more than double the density of what furniture is made of in the West. As an example, it's common here to see beds being delivered or removed by crane truck via balconies.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

If you need a sofa and chairs carved out of a single tree trunk of hardwood you are in the right place!

If you need somewhere comfy to sit and relax sadly you are not.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

velvet_thunder wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:51 pm If i recall correctly, one of the issue in Cambodia is that the wood is often not properly dried. so things are moving in the long term
Yes, that's a major problem. So choose your carpenter carefully!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Earl of Mercia wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:15 pm If you need a sofa and chairs carved out of a single tree trunk of hardwood you are in the right place!

If you need somewhere comfy to sit and relax sadly you are not.
Maybe ten years ago. Now it's hard to find quality large pieces even for table tops.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic