sleep

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

sleep

Post by johnny lightning »

I normally dislike topics asking for advice from keyboard MDs but after doing some looking on the web I find myself not getting a lot of info specifically on one thing. I seem to be going in circles. Sleep. More specifically what do people (in this case you guys) use for either conking out or getting back to sleep at 3 in the morning. And before anyone mentions it I am currently in a country where weed of any kind is pretty much verbotten.

I have in the past used valium on occasion with decent success but it doesn't seem to do the trick as well any longer and I also don't want to start using it on a regular basis. Obviously looking at over the counter stuff available in Cambo for when I return and further away later on. I obviously don't want to sleep through a house on fire but 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep would be nice. Not working any longer and no commitments so if I sleep until 10 am I really don't care.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: sleep

Post by Freightdog »

johnny lightning wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:51 pm I normally dislike topics asking for advice from keyboard MDs but after doing some looking on the web I find myself not getting a lot of info specifically on one thing. I seem to be going in circles. Sleep. More specifically what do people (in this case you guys) use for either conking out or getting back to sleep at 3 in the morning. And before anyone mentions it I am currently in a country where weed of any kind is pretty much verbotten.

I have in the past used valium on occasion with decent success but it doesn't seem to do the trick as well any longer and I also don't want to start using it on a regular basis. Obviously looking at over the counter stuff available in Cambo for when I return and further away later on. I obviously don't want to sleep through a house on fire but 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep would be nice. Not working any longer and no commitments so if I sleep until 10 am I really don't care.
Keyboard MD aside, sleep is a topic of some considerable interest in aviation. Or rather, the lack of it.

Short answer, most quick fixes are actually detrimental to quality sleep itself. So, a snifter, a Valium, or any medication generally only masks the issue. If sleep is elusive, or if I’ve been woken up, the best thing (for me) is to do something else for a while, like get up, drink some water, read a book. Possibly better is to just accept being awake early, and taking a siesta later (yes, I know- beyond the scope of the question)

Sleep itself is a much misunderstood function of the human being, I’ve found that especially in Asia, (actually starting somewhere around Eastern Europe where macho male attitudes still prevail), people simply treat sleep as an inconvenience. However the short and long term consequences of not achieving quality sleep cover all sorts of issues; behavioural, physiological, neurological, the immune system.

For most people, they are oblivious to the different stages of sleep, circadian rhythms, and disruptive factors.
What’s also important, if the issue is frequent, is to try to understand what’s waking you up.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Have you tried melatonin and the various sleepy herbal teas?
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I've tried melatonin because my brother swears by it. Unfortunately seems to do nothing for me. My problem most recently seems to actually being able to drop off. At least every other night for the last few months I hit the sack around midnight and often lie there till 2 or 3 AM without being able to nod off. Even sometimes when I am in a country where my drug of choice (weed) is easily available. Maybe just something that happens as I get older (63)?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Melatonin is popular with some, but a slippery slope if a full night’s sleep becomes dependant on it. It’s better reserved for when the normal schedule is expected to be out of sync. Long haul travel with a long overnight sector being one candidate (messes up the free movies and bar raids, though). It’s heavily frowned upon for us, though.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I use podcasts. Some hosts have a (literally) tone of voice (generally a deep, male voice) which makes me go asleep before the show ends.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

johnny lightning wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:51 pm I normally dislike topics asking for advice from keyboard MDs but after doing some looking on the web I find myself not getting a lot of info specifically on one thing. I seem to be going in circles. Sleep. More specifically what do people (in this case you guys) use for either conking out or getting back to sleep at 3 in the morning. And before anyone mentions it I am currently in a country where weed of any kind is pretty much verbotten.

This is my approach ... used to be I was all messed up too ... but after years of frustration ... I changed my thinking about sleep ... used to be a pain in the rump, BIGTIME ... now I embrace it, I see lack of sleep as a blessing ... I can get more done in my daily routine.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:21 pm

Keyboard MD aside, sleep is a topic of some considerable interest in aviation. Or rather, the lack of it.

Short answer, most quick fixes are actually detrimental to quality sleep itself. So, a snifter, a Valium, or any medication generally only masks the issue. If sleep is elusive, or if I’ve been woken up, the best thing (for me) is to do something else for a while, like get up, drink some water, read a book. Possibly better is to just accept being awake early, and taking a siesta later (yes, I know- beyond the scope of the question)

Sleep itself is a much misunderstood function of the human being, I’ve found that especially in Asia, (actually starting somewhere around Eastern Europe where macho male attitudes still prevail), people simply treat sleep as an inconvenience. However the short and long term consequences of not achieving quality sleep cover all sorts of issues; behavioural, physiological, neurological, the immune system.

For most people, they are oblivious to the different stages of sleep, circadian rhythms, and disruptive factors.
What’s also important, if the issue is frequent, is to try to understand what’s waking you up.
I have a really strong sense of deja vu right now lol
@Freightdog has gone over this very topic a few times over a beer and its quite interesting tbh
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve always found ship vibrations soporific. A little difficult to install in the bedroom, granted. Rainstorms, sea sounds, too. 8 hours of continuous white noise, waves on a shore.

However, being able to get to sleep before midnight is worth pursuing.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I've found completely exhausting yourself during the day works well. And I know it might sound like woo woo, but meditating, deep breathing and clearing the mind (maan) has also worked for me in the past.

My current favorite "be cool man and sleep" vibe is the following.

Chant drops at 0.19

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic