sleep

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: sleep

Post by stevenjb »

If you can find this supplement there: Glycine - 1-3 grams on an empty stomach before bed.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Exercise. Nothing beats it.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

If "exercise" is sex then a massage, even better, with a hot shower on top of it !
Also, aircon makes me sleepy, no idea why.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Ghostwriter wrote: Also, aircon makes me sleepy, no idea why.
The body likes a cooler core temp while sleeping. A warmer room triggers the body to more wakefulness.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

stevenjb wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:48 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Also, aircon makes me sleepy, no idea why.
The body likes a cooler core temp while sleeping. A warmer room triggers the body to more wakefulness.
There must be something to detail about that...

I mean,

i sleep ok in hot SEA without aircon, but with some air circulation / bit of fan (but not directed on me) + a blanket
i sleep ok in cold France without aircon, but it's autumn and i don't turn on the heater, but have a blanket.

I sleep at best with fresh aircon and a fat blanket, which could be anywhere.
I feel sleepy in buses and planes who have aircon, and it's not from tiredness.

Also, noise triggers my spidey senses right quick, anywhere, in any sleep configuration since i'm back in (almost) silent europe.
The noise is a thing, and i had my fair share, maybe i should just consult about that for a start ^^
Different factor, but related maybe in your case ?

I need my 7 hours of it anyway, although it's hard to sleep more than 8 or 9, at best.

Yeah we spend 1/3 of our life in it, so, interesting subject.
Dreams ? What dreams ? Quite rare...
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I used to stress out over not being able to sleep a solid 8 … then an old WW II vet (neighbor) gave me great advices … since I was feeling normal after getting just a couple hours sleep … he said “you are lucky … if your body is telling you you don’t need it, why stress? You have more time to get shit done.” … or words to that effect. Since then, when I can’t sleep I catch up on stuff or start new projects around the house.

My .02
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:21 am Exercise. Nothing beats it.
Sometimes you talk a lot of shit,,, but in this case I think you are 101 % right. Must be something to do with your experience and wisdom in old age.

I always find myself waking up between 1 am and 3 am and cannot get back to sleep. My solution is to have a exercise program, lift some weights, a few pushups, situps , touch your toes etc until your worn out. In Cambodia early morning is a great time to do this as its not so hot, it also sets your body up for a good hearty breakfast that will last you all day.
Remember that if your put shit fuel in that engine in your moto / car you can easily replace it, but the engine in your body has to last you for 100 ? years, so look after it.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I have lasy weeks a similar problem, it looks i have a kind of jet-lag because i was bar-crawlig until 6 am weeks ago. I learned (being truckdriving for 35 years) to listen to your body, and if you are in the perfect possission to not wrok anymore, dont look to the clock, go to sleep if sleepy, not earlier. And you will wake up useally after 4.5 or 6 hours, and getting older makes you sleep less. The sleep goes up and down in "deepness" for every 1,5 hours (after really fall asleep). When i was younger and the transport-regulations in europe where not to crazy enforced as now, i often sleept for weeks 3 hours a night and you would be surprised how long you can do that before crash compeltely (personal or with you truck in the didge). If you dont make plans for tomorrow, just come out of your bed when your body says, and in the afternoon, often after lunch, your body tells you again, do a nap !! But we all have plans for tomorrow, isnit ?? Tomorrow i have to be in that restaurant at 5 and that girlie bar at 9 (because i promissed). Let you go with the flow, and "listen very carefully, i will say this only once: it works" !! Remember Khmer are never on time ?? Why would that be you think ??
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

For some strange reason, after a day's work, sleep just seems to come naturally.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

breathing exercises can help you nod off the one that works best for me is in through the nose for a count of 4 then, with your tongue up against your pallet (top of mouth, near front teeth) breath out for count of 9 ...just keep doing it until you drift off...there is a good book on breathing stuff called Breath the new Science of a lost art that brings together many different ideas and studies.

dont eat at least 3 hours before bedtime..when you eat you need energy to digest the food so your blood increases around the gut to provide the energy...when we sleep our brains are very active doing house keeping, clearing out all the dead /broken cells..that needs energy...blood ...but if its still being used to supply energy to the gut..the brain is not getting its full supply to clear out and repair from the days workings...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic