What are monthly living costs?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: What are monthly living costs?

Post by ItWasntMe »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:44 pm I'm still trying to figure out how many kg of rice you guys are buying / eating, if your spending $2000 - $3000 a month.
Well, I didn't primarely come to Cambodia looking for a cheap lifestyle, but rather a place that suits my vibe.
I live fairly comfortably, refrigerator always stocked, A/C not spared.

Some of the things I enjoy are more expensive here than in my home country, but I still make sure to enjoy them.
On a normal day will spend maybe $40-50 on food & beer, can't cook for shit so think 3x restaurant and rest goes in the bottle.

Weekends can be more expensive, still not too old for the sex & drugs & rock & roll :beer3:

Had I no money, I would rent a room outside of town for $40, get a waterboiler and live from boiled eggs in the morning and fast noodles in the afternoon.
Add some lime to that, and maybe a bit of fish once every couple of days.
Any and all spare money would be spent on Ganzberg can beer :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....On a normal day will spend maybe $40-50 on food & beer...
DAM<

how does one spend $$ on Rock & Roll??
now that i grow my own, drugs are free :-) gotta love Thailand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:49 am
....On a normal day will spend maybe $40-50 on food & beer...
DAM<

how does one spend $$ on Rock & Roll??
now that i grow my own, drugs are free :-) gotta love Thailand
Thailand pisses me off with their dumb alcohol restrictions, sure if you live there you might be able to adjust but as a traveling beer entusiast it's annoying not being able to buy beer for half the day. It's a nice place but I couldn't live under such borderline Sharia laws. Cambodia is the place, you can buy beer anywhere anytime :beer3:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

every mom & pop shop will sell whenever they are open< its only enforced at the big store's> 7/11's
and u can drink at any restaurant & bar, as long as they are open. Hadley a restriction.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 am every mom & pop shop will sell whenever they are open< its only enforced at the big store's> 7/11's
and u can drink at any restaurant & bar, as long as they are open. Hadley a restriction.
for a traveler that's very much still a restriction.
at bus stops etc there is nowhere to get beer, traveling around the country was a nightmare.

Thailand has some advantages like better food, communications and so on, but Cambodia has more freedom, and that is why I'm still choosing to spend my money here :good:
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:31 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 am every mom & pop shop will sell whenever they are open< its only enforced at the big store's> 7/11's
at bus stops etc there is nowhere to get beer, traveling around the country was a nightmare.

Thailand has some advantages like better food, communications and so on, but Cambodia has more freedom, and that is why I'm still choosing to spend my money here :good:
If beer is required at a bus stop and also needs to be on tap 24 hours a day, then maybe it isn't Thailand with the problem? All depends what lens you are looking through I guess.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:56 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:31 am

If beer is required at a bus stop and also needs to be on tap 24 hours a day, then maybe it isn't Thailand with the problem? All depends what lens you are looking through I guess.
Of course Thailand is the problem, I'm an adult and if I want to drink cold beer instead of water that's my choice.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

As I dont pay rent so I could easily live on $600 per month, but its all the extra family expenses that boost the monthly expenditure up. eg, I just now went to the super market to buy bread and milk but my g/friends 7 yo daughter came with me and that put the extra expenses up to $20.

Then there's the costs of my other 3 girls [ 21, 14, 12 ] that look after themselves now as I only stay with them 2 or 3 night a week so I have no control over what they eat and spend. But with food, Elec, water, internet, clothes , school fees etc , it costs me $800 plus a month.
With the A$ so low against the USA $ it's getting bloody hard to live on a Australian pension now. I may even have to get a job soon and thinking of applying for one as a bar manager.
Spoiler:
Any offers greatly accepted.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I'd go out more often if the kind of women I expect existed in Cambodia. As it is, they don't. So, I am not keen on living with someone I can't talk to.

Also, not keen on contracting STDs on the riverside... Thread shows the behavior of a lot of barang will lead to a lot of nasty disease...

Goodbye...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

I rent a western style 2 bedroom apartment in Siem Reap for 250, walking distance to big supermarket . Power and water adds 50. Usually spend around 100 a week on groceries and eat at home most days - cereal and fruit for breakfast, cheese toastie for lunch, most nights - ( I am a simple guy) sausage and mash or egg beans and chips does it for me. I go out for live bands and pub quiz a couple of times a week and spend around 50 on beer and snacks . Put aside a bit for annual visa renewal. All up I can get by and have a happy life on about $1500 a month, but might struggle on less. Only real luxury is my Honda Phantom which costs around 5 every 2 weeks in gas, but I don't ride as much as I'd like. I lived in Vietnam for a few years and Cambodia is much cheaper all round.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic