What are monthly living costs?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: What are monthly living costs?

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:27 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 am
11bravo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 am Thanks! what are the requirements for visa's, am i able to enter Cambodia without one? and what is the length of stay for the one granted?
Nobody can enter without a visa except Cambodians. Visas are all 30 days long.

People with a passport from ASEAN countries are visa exempted for 14 days.
Fair enough, maybe Zach can try that but I figured he wanted to stay longer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:10 am
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:41 am Joe cloud, ur kid in International school? even so ur living like a king :beer3:
I probably spend around $2500/month and my lifestyle is comfortable but not luxurious.

Add a feeder or two, maybe a car, that's easily $3500.
I'm still trying to figure out how many kg of rice you guys are buying / eating, if your spending $2000 - $3000 a month.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:27 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 am
11bravo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 am Thanks! what are the requirements for visa's, am i able to enter Cambodia without one? and what is the length of stay for the one granted?
Nobody can enter without a visa except Cambodians. Visas are all 30 days long.

People with a passport from ASEAN countries are visa exempted for 14 days.

ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

@Tootsfriend: This is something I don't get going on here for years. Cutting the room/appartment/house rent out (which range from $50 to $2000), living costs in Cambodia are close to nothing. I spend less than $5 per day on food (streetfood junkie - maybe 1 or 2 times per year diarrhea - by far not like orichá writes, but I assume, he refers to places that have a fridge, and this is where the trouble starts...), Utility is less than $5 per month (fan only, with A/C $40 should be realistic).
orichá wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am One thing is sure: the Cambodians see foreigners coming and in general you will easily end up paying way too much compared to what it's actually worth, lol...
Disagree on this one as well. Imho this is one of the wonders of the KoW, that the Khmer are not pricing you for being a foreigner (markets, stalls, mom&pop shops - I am not talking about rents for properties, girls, agents of any kind, TukTuk drivers or sales of any kind of vehicles)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

ressl wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 pm
orichá wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am One thing is sure: the Cambodians see foreigners coming and in general you will easily end up paying way too much compared to what it's actually worth, lol...
Disagree on this one as well. Imho this is one of the wonders of the KoW, that the Khmer are not pricing you for being a foreigner (markets, stalls, mom&pop shops - I am not talking about rents for properties, girls, agents of any kind, TukTuk drivers or sales of any kind of vehicles)
I agree. One aspect I appreciate more here compared to Thailand is the minimal occurrence of dual pricing. In everyday situations, it's practically non-existent.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ressl wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 pm @Tootsfriend: This is something I don't get going on here for years. Cutting the room/appartment/house rent out (which range from $50 to $2000), living costs in Cambodia are close to nothing. I spend less than $5 per day on food (streetfood junkie - maybe 1 or 2 times per year diarrhea - by far not like orichá writes, but I assume, he refers to places that have a fridge, and this is where the trouble starts...), Utility is less than $5 per month (fan only, with A/C $40 should be realistic).
I agree with that. I find that people who complain about being charged foreigner prices are usually the exact same people who either don't speak Khmer or hang around in heavily touristed areas where prices tend to be different. I have one dependent and even though my rent is tiny I still manage to get through nearly $3000 a month. It just depends how you live.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I buy probably 2 kgs of rice a month, i eat out 4-5 times a week: during the week khmer and in the weekend western-food. Between 7 AND 27 dollar for food, and if i take a girl to a western restaurant, it doubles (dont do often because often its wasted money, they will order the most expensive dish, eat half of it, and 45 minutes later on the street will order duck-feet for a couple of thousands of riels. Its just what you want or can spend. I have my budget from 3000 a month, 600 rent, 75 electricicty (yes i put aircon on because i can afford it) and i like to cook home but go out everyday just often for social contacts. And on friday and saturday i splash it out, dont bather what it cost, want to have fun, get drunk and get laid. If its far over my "planned budget" during the week i try to cut costs after. Recently i heard: Happiness, is the number of days you can continue living as you do now, without coming in more money, just live on your savings. Good quote in my eyes, i worked 33 years between 75 and 100 hours a week, thats why i put the aircon on now without thinking what it costs. And when my preferred Anchor beer is 50 cent more then a Angkor draught, what you think i do ?? !!
Sorry for anyobe who feel offended for that now !! Cheers !!
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

I get through about 2500 a month, family of 3, kid at int. School, we dont go flash but i say we have a nice lifestyle. I dont touch streetfood, to many times being ill. Mainly home cooked meals, but we go out at least once a week to a restaraunt. We do get thru a lot of wine and beers though.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

rogerrabbit wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:09 am
ressl wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 pm
I agree. One aspect I appreciate more here compared to Thailand is the minimal occurrence of dual pricing. In everyday situations, it's practically non-existent.
I only wrote that in the context of introducing a newbie. Obviously , once you live here for a while you learn to know what things really cost.

I must say though, I do think most foreigners get shafted when it comes to rental accomodations. That is just my observation based on what I see people are paying relative to what they are getting over the past ten years. Siem Reap may prove an exception to this rule, mind you.

Rents are obviously cheaper than the West, but relative to what you can find if you look hard versus what agents give or limit you to choose... well, most foreigners are paying a premium simply because they are foreigners... that is just my opinion.

Cars and such? Well, if you can afford all that, then money means nothing to you as you are already rich, which leaves you with little perspective on real life in a poor foreign country. . . This is nothing new. British colonials in India never saw themselves either...

I don't want to talk anymore. Women here also take a lot of money if you let them. I haven't let them.

I arrived with a certain sum in the bank. I have managed to keep the same sum in the bank for the past ten years. I only worked a little bit as a part-time university lecturer for peanuts for four years, and 7 months online teaching during Covid. This year, for the first time, I have taken on a job-job to notch up the balance... But I won't work for more than another year.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

The OP spends a lot of money on the girls in Bangkok and Pattaya, based on his posts on another Board. That should eat into his Cambodian budget
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic