What are monthly living costs?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: What are monthly living costs?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

11bravo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 am Thanks! what are the requirements for visa's, am i able to enter Cambodia without one? and what is the length of stay for the one granted?
What is your Nationality???

Here is a basic summary for general Foreigners wishing to stay long term, work, retire, study, etc...

1. You must enter the country on an E-type (Ordinary) Visa. $35 on arrival, valid for 1 month. (Note: this Visa is often incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa). There are no supporting documentation requirements for the majority of Nationalities, no passport picture is required. Ensure that you have the Visa fee in crisp, new, clean USD bills, preferably exact change.

With effect 12th Jan 2023, the E-type (Ordinary) Visa can also be applied for online in advance by all Nationalities on the official www.evisa.gov.kh website. Note that certain Nationalities have different supporting documentation requirements.

2. Prior to your Visa expiry date, go to a Visa agency and apply for an Extension of Stay (EOS). There are different EOS categories available, the main ones are;

- EB (Business/Employment) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ER (Retirement) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- ES (Student) EOS - 1,3,6,12 month options, can be renewed indefinitely
- EG (General) - 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, cannot be renewed in-country
- EP (Proposal - seeking employment/business opportunities) 1,3 month options - 1 time deal, can convert to EB EOS with the necessary supporting documentation.

Only 6 & 12 month options valid for multi-entry/exit.

Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot

Costs if applying via a Visa agency (price depends on agency and location);
- 1 mth EOS = $45 - 55
- 3 mth EOS = $70 - 90
- 6 mth EOS = $150 - 170
- 12 mth EOS = $270 - 300

There is no standard processing time for EOS applications, average is 7-10 business days, but you should allow up to 14 business days, anything less is a bonus. If you need it quickly, you can pay an additional $70 - 100 for express processing (next day) when applying via a Visa Agency.

*You also can apply for your EOS directly at the Department of Immigration (DoI) Visa Office in Pochentong, Phnom Penh, but only if you have all of the necessary supporting documentation, which they are very strict about. Official fee for a 12 month EOS applying directly is $180.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:41 am Joe cloud, ur kid in International school? even so ur living like a king :beer3:
I probably spend around $2500/month and my lifestyle is comfortable but not luxurious.

Add a feeder or two, maybe a car, that's easily $3500.
Last edited by ItWasntMe on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Each EOS category has it's own supporting documentation requirements, but minimum requirements for all are;

- Valid passport with minimum 6 months validity remaining from the date the EOS will expire ie. If applying for 12 mth EOS, you need at least 18 months validity remaining on your passport
- Minimum 2x blank Visa pages in passport
- 1x Passport pic
- Completed EOS application form (most agents will complete on your behalf)
- FPCS details screenshot
What is FPCS details screenshot?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Foreigners Present in Cambodia System is an app that the landlady/ house owner puts your details in and the screenshot is used for visa extensions.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

FPCS screenshot will do your landlord or hotel for you.
I spend around 3000 a month, living very confortable, but in that amount half of it goes to SDRR.
Sex drugs and rock an roll !!
the drug part in my case is 90% of Anchor beer !!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I am living well on about $2200 a month.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I am presently saving maybe 1000 dollars a month and spending about 5 to 600 US dollars to live in a cozy new apartment with pool... Rent 250 plus 40 utility...

Depends on how you want to live. I cook 95% of my own food, and am never sick from bad outside food, which is pretty common here among foreigners and locals both.

One thing is sure: the Cambodians see foreigners coming and in general you will easily end up paying way too much compared to what it's actually worth, lol...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

orichá wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am
One thing is sure: the Cambodians see foreigners coming and in general you will easily end up paying way too much compared to what it's actually worth, lol...
Try this. Go shopping with a Khmer several times. Get established with all the sellers that you need. Then shed the Khmer companion and stick to the same sellers.
Also, a lot of sellers will treat you fairly from the off, without a Khmer companion. I would say at least 50%.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:56 pm
orichá wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am
Try this. Go shopping with a Khmer several times. Get established with all the sellers that you need. Then shed the Khmer companion and stick to the same sellers.
Also, a lot of sellers will treat you fairly from the off, without a Khmer companion. I would say at least 50%.
In Vietnam, when I'd go solo shopping in local markets, I would que up with Viets and watch the transaction. Then I'd buy same order. And then there is the thing about haggling. Viet venders seem to enjoy it in a weird way. Not sure about Khmer venders. If sense they are applying an unreasonable foreigner tax, I'll just walk to the next booth.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 am
11bravo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 am Thanks! what are the requirements for visa's, am i able to enter Cambodia without one? and what is the length of stay for the one granted?
Nobody can enter without a visa except Cambodians. Visas are all 30 days long.

People with a passport from ASEAN countries are visa exempted for 14 days.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic