Laptop vs. Tablet

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Laptop vs. Tablet

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

ive always used Laptops i think theyre great, never really been a fan of tablets,
but they are starting to appeal to me more now, espeshially now you can get the big 12.2" screens on them with bluetooth keyboards..

i was originally looking at the Samsung Galaxy tab s 10.5" as its pretty much the best on the market, then i discovered the 12.2" galaxy Note + Tab, with all 3 pretty much exactly the same other than the screen size and the 10.5" having a different screen setup thing its really become hard to pick,
think im going to go for the 12.2" version but not sure whether a note or tab version...

whats your experiences and preferences?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Laptop vs. Tablet

Post by walkjivefly »

Depends what you use it for. A notebook can usefully be used for content creation, photo editing and other traditional PC tasks. A tablet, even with a bluetooth keyboard is better suited to content consumption. I've had both for about 15 months and have hardly used my notebook since getting the tablet (10.1" Tab2).

Sadly the tablet went swimming a couple of weeks ago and is now an ex-tablet. I'm trying to find the parts to repair it but think I'll have to fork out for a new one.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

do the tablets have like text documents on them? i know both the 12.2" versions do, theyre pretty much like a pc, i think the only difference between the tab and the note is the stylus pen thing, other than that im not sure theres much of a difference
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:do the tablets have like text documents on them? i know both the 12.2" versions do, theyre pretty much like a pc, i think the only difference between the tab and the note is the stylus pen thing, other than that im not sure theres much of a difference
No if you want to work a pc/laptop is the best.
In theory you can edit text document on a tablet especially with keyboard and mouse
In practice not so practical.

1 you need to have the keyboard. This is not a problem as you can use a normal one with an adaptator for USB ( you use the same thing to plug a normal mouse) or a Bluetooth one. Thing is you need to take your keyboard with you. Seems like a trivial problem but to my knowledge there is not really portable keyboard for samsung tablet ( I searched and tried quite a few). The small one are not practical for long writing session IMO
If you really want to work you have to buy a normal USB keyboard. Meaning it take some place, meaning you do not always carry it with you.

2 Galaxy work with app and if in theory you can have up to two task running in practice it is only one.
So doing thing like have several word document open, or working with picture, word and excell are out. Like writing and surfing the net, downloading, ect ect ect

3 App are cool but for some application you need software.

Depend of the use of course. I have a galaxy 10.5 with keyboard and mouth, I had to use one or twice when I did not had my laptop. It is quite serviceable but I had only to write a few email. I would not have been able to do real complex work with it.

For me the botome line is that a tablet is a laptop minus in the use. Meaning you gain mobility but loose functionality.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Google ASUS Transformer...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I tried getting an iPad Air and a blue tooth keyboard because I thought I could get away with it. It quickly became very annoying at how limited it's word processing ability was and I got rid of it a week later and got myself a "real" computer. I don't know how to explain it because I'm computer stupid, but it felt extremely limited. It was also $500 for the combo as well, so not necessarily cheap either.
-insert signature here
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tbh i dont do a great deal of word documentation at all and its certainly not for work other than sending invoices via email, my main use is internet surfing and watching movies, the 12.2 tablets have a more advanced office... you can see in this video at 27mins...
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

and ive also still got this laptop, which is becoming towards its last legs but still works fine, but its been around the world a fair few times and its due an upgrade, so i still have the option of using this, and i will probs carry on using this until it finally pops its clogs and then i need to buy a new one haha
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The only tablet I'd consider is the Microsoft range... everything else is way too underpowered (in my OS ecosystem) to consider seriously. The MS tablets are also good in docking stations as full PCs and as laptops too... lots of versatility but... also ridiculously expensive. I can live without tablet functionality, I have a 27" touchscreen in the office and I can count the number of times I've used the screen as an input device on the fingers of one hand. I consume written content on my Kindle which craps on a tablet from a great height for reading on.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah i think im just going to survive with my laptop for the time being and not rush into anything, i may even back up some of my documents and hard reset it to get rid of all the shit on here and bring it back to speed
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic