Olympus camera shop

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Olympus camera shop

Post by hanno »

Is there a well-stocked Olympus camera shop in town? I am looking for a particular lens (Olympus 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO) but drawing a blank so far.

Thank you in advance,

Hanno
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Olympus camera shop

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Phi Bang Camera in Saigon D1 can get you ANYTHING ... he is a no-nonsense dealer with excellent service and fair prices ... recommend highly ... prolly would ship direct anywhere in Cambodia.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:07 pm Phi Bang Camera in Saigon D1 can get you ANYTHING ... he is a no-nonsense dealer with excellent service and fair prices ... recommend highly ... prolly would ship direct anywhere in Cambodia.
I’ve bought stuff there before when I lived in Vietnam. But I am worried about customs, it is not a cheap lens.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Just to be clear here.

You live in Cambodia (Phnom Penh??)
The item in question, after a very quick google search, ranges in price from $6,500 to $7,500
There is a shop in Saigon that you know of and have purchased equipment from before

So if all of the above is true and given the value of the item in question what is to stop you taking a weekend break in Saigon. Buying the item and returning to PP. Would they even know if you purchased it there unless you made a point of saying.. "hey officer... I went to saigon for a weekend break and bought this really expensive item .. how much tax would you like me to pay on it?"
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:39 pm Just to be clear here.

You live in Cambodia (Phnom Penh??)
The item in question, after a very quick google search, ranges in price from $6,500 to $7,500
There is a shop in Saigon that you know of and have purchased equipment from before

So if all of the above is true and given the value of the item in question what is to stop you taking a weekend break in Saigon. Buying the item and returning to PP. Would they even know if you purchased it there unless you made a point of saying.. "hey officer... I went to saigon for a weekend break and bought this really expensive item .. how much tax would you like me to pay on it?"
That lens … not more than $100 … if 2.8 … another story.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Need a zoom camera lens -- use your feet.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Why would I lie? I am a keen birder and need a lens with a lot of reach. If it is not available here, I will fly to BKK or HCMC, but I do not like flying and I was hoping I could get it here.
Need a zoom camera lens -- use your feet.
Right, for photographing birds flying overhead or on top of trees.......
That lens … not more than $100 … if 2.8 … another story.
Sorry, but you do not much about camera lenses....
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

No need to fly to HCMC, it's only $40 return on the bus. I have never seen Customs check anything coming back across the border - it's almost as if the bus companies had some kind of arrangement...
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

stevenjb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:28 am Need a zoom camera lens -- use your feet.
Say that to an airplane.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bluenose wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:29 am No need to fly to HCMC, it's only $40 return on the bus. I have never seen Customs check anything coming back across the border - it's almost as if the bus companies had some kind of arrangement...
I am not worried about customs. I will obviously not bring back the lens still all boxed up ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic