Buying land in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Buying land in Cambodia

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Watched a video yesterday by a 40-something American vlogger-military veteran living with his Khmer GF in Siam Riep.

This guy said he bought land via something like a bonded corporation, or words to that effect ...

Is it true?

Can an unmarried American really buy land in Cambodia, and has anybody here pulled it off?

I'd be interested.

I was gonna move to Japan this year and get some property/land via the Akiya Bank program (8 million empty homes now in Japan). But when their PM, Mr Kishida, approved the massive dumping of nuclear waste water from Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean (already under extreme stress), I pumped the brakes on that plan.

So, if it's possible, I would like to buy a small plot of land and open a home stay type place for Khmer and traveling foreign artists using converted container homes. Dig a well, garden, solar, pigs, chickens ... off-grid living.

I am a child of hippies, so I would love to build a small "Hippy Compound" and trip out on natural living.

Thanks in advance for any info.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Buying land in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

I've got 5,000 sq m of land in Svay Rieng i will sell ya, its in GF's name, but we could do like in Thailand and give you an iron clad contract and freehold lease OR i'll just lease it to ya

just off the main road linking PP and vietnam
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:20 am I've got 5,000 sq m of land in Svay Rieng i will sell ya, its in GF's name, but we could do like in Thailand and give you an iron clad contract and freehold lease OR i'll just lease it to ya

just off the main road linking PP and vietnam
I'm open to suggestions ... looking at soft open in Jan 2025 ... So thinking to get the papers done and handover the keys around September 2024. Let's talk. And thanks.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

There's no legal or "iron clad" way for a foreigner to own land here.
It all comes down to the whim of whoever's Cambodian name is on the hard title/and or how much money you have to fight it.

Don't let anyone else tell you different, especially if they have something to gain.

I know people who have land in a trusted friends name or their wife or GF and that is as good as any trust or business setup.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

I think the video is referring to CEO's old "friend" Aaron in Cambodia. He wiped most of his older videos and even started up a new channel with his current gf claiming he has turned his life around. The land deal the OP mentioned I don't believe was ever mentioned by Aaron in any other video and given his history of embellishing stories I wouldn't be too surprised if this was another story.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Kahuna wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:09 am I think the video is referring to CEO's old "friend" Aaron in Cambodia. He wiped most of his older videos and even started up a new channel with his current gf claiming he has turned his life around. The land deal the OP mentioned I don't believe was ever mentioned by Aaron in any other video and given his history of embellishing stories I wouldn't be too surprised if this was another story.
So the Op is Aaron?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Rule of thumb, in a country where you can't legally own land in your own name (not some bullshit company or girlfriend construction, if your girlfriend gets hit by a bus tomorrow your claim is toast), either don't buy it at all or at the very least don't invest more than you can afford to lose.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Yes, that is the same guy in the video.

He is a veteran recovering from PSTD, and more than likely some sort of numbing substance. I totally understand this guy and he seems to really have his head in a good place. I would love to meet him and talk recovery stuff. After I joined the 1st CivDiv in 2005, my life was crap for many years. After I got off all the toxic pharma products pushed on me by the crooked (and criminal IMHO) VA doctors, I headed to the Blue Mountains east of Syndey and detoxed during a 10-day Vipassana retreat and studied my soul from the deepest darkest places. Then I went to Kamakura Japan and studied ZaZen at Ehije (sp) temple. Got really deep into the meditation and was doing great until my mom got sick. Went back home to send her off and was down again. Hit bottom ... hard.

So this is a process for damaged veterans, and I hope non-veterans would be kinder to combat vets. Not crying or whining, just saying. The key for guys like us is balance. Keeping life balanced is the key.

Well, when somebody tells me it cannot be done, I am the type that goes to work and finds a way.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Thanks for the advice all. I will careful approach this potentially tricky endeavor.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I have successfully bought, held, and sold land as an unmarried foreigner. I used an atty. with American/Khmer citizenship as my Khmer nominee. We formed a trust agreement that no changes could be made without my permission, and I signed a long term lease, which would allow me to hook up utilities. This atty. has since passed away, but I am sure you could contact any of the large real estate companies in town and they could provide this service.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Lonestar wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:12 pm I have successfully bought, held, and sold land as an unmarried foreigner. I used an atty. with American/Khmer citizenship as my Khmer nominee. We formed a trust agreement that no changes could be made without my permission, and I signed a long term lease, which would allow me to hook up utilities. This atty. has since passed away, but I am sure you could contact any of the large real estate companies in town and they could provide this service.
Thanks for that. Appreciate much.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic