Buying land in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Buying land in Cambodia

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Never set eyes on him, but my Uncle Attila Flink (the greatest linguist in modern times) said he was a good man ... enough for me ...
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:15 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:09 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:19 pm I'm a gambler ... my great, great, great uncle dug all the water wells along the Transylvania railway ... then gambled and drank it all away ... so I guess it's in my jeans.
Jeans? What brand?
Sorry but that’s a style, not a brand.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Brand? ... Style? ... no problem, I am currently well-pickled, and happy any way you slice it, brochacho.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:43 am
If you have speculative money for property investment, put your money in your home country or one that you understand and, (1) allows foreign direct ownership and (2) has a well-established body of law to protect your property rights, in life and after death.

Stay away from places like Cambodia that make it very clear it is not allowed and can just take it off you on a political whim or if you get in the way of a new development.

If you must buy a house for raising a family, as many of our members have done, then put it in the wife's name and work on the assumption that you will never see that money again unless it is rolled over into a new bigger home. Much like your home country actually, it will all end up with the kids one day.

Be happy that we can live here with one of the most relaxed visa regimes and enjoy it while it lasts (or you last!)
I certainly hope that it will lasts like you suggested. But there is not much news about the Immigration reform now in the pipeline for almost a year.
Boredom is like a shroud
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Looks like a long term rent is your way to go
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501393143/ ... p-of-land/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bluenose wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:21 am Looks like a long term rent is your way to go
Dr HM said foreigners are allowed to rent a plot of land for an extendedperiod with legal procedures from 15 to 50 years.

Tell that the people on Koh Rong Sanloem, who built their hotels and bungalows on the back of a long lease. They were given 7 days notice to leave. I know they are still there but the latest report claims they can stay for another 2 years, despite 8 years remaining on the lease**

If they want it badly enough, or it becomes too valuable, they will just take it.

general-chatter/hotels-koh-rong-samloem ... 53415.html
** post594184.html#p594184
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:53 am
Bluenose wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:21 am Looks like a long term rent is your way to go
Dr HM said foreigners are allowed to rent a plot of land for an extendedperiod with legal procedures from 15 to 50 years.

Tell that the people on Koh Rong Sanloem, who built their hotels and bungalows on the back of a long lease. They were given 7 days notice to leave. I know they are still there but the latest report claims they can stay for another 2 years, despite 8 years remaining on the lease**

If they want it badly enough, or it becomes too valuable, they will just take it.

I think in that example the lessor did not actually own the land as it was state land.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

YaTingPom wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:42 am

I think in that example the lessor did not actually own the land as it was state land.
My point exactly. How can you be sure that you have the genuine, final, ultimate owner? Especially when the state is happy to be used as hired goons to do the evictions with no mention of the fraud that has been committed?

Someone high up pulled this scam, no doubt with the tacit agreement of others further up the foodchain. I wonder if they are still collecting the rent on the land the evidently do not own?
Last edited by Doc67 on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:56 pm

My point exactly. How can you be sure that you have the genuine, final, ultimate owner? Especially when the state is happy to be used as hired goons to do the evictions with no mention of the fraud that has been committed?

Someone high up pulled this scam, no doubt with the tacit agreement of others further up the foodchain. I wonder is they are still collecting the rent on the land the evidently do not own?
Almost like the leasing of a big lake in PP to a small company, then filling it in with sand and then selling parts of it to anyone who want to buy or lease it.
Who owned it. Who sold it. Who issued land titles on leased land and where did all the money go.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:56 pm

Someone high up pulled this scam, no doubt with the tacit agreement of others further up the foodchain. I wonder if they are still collecting the rent on the land the evidently do not own?
Same way as when you buying the land? Frankly, those individuals spending tens and hundreds of thousands on these islands are idiots, to be honest. Everyone has known that it is public land. Exactly like what happened in Otres.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic