Buying land in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying land in Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:36 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:52 pm BTW, land is hard to sell atm in Cambodia. Hard to buy too, at a reasonable price, because the sellers want what it was worth a couple of yeers ago.
So do the banks, especially if the loan-to-value ratio is now circa 100%
Same, same in the USA where banks have been avoiding forced sales on their commercial real estate loans. This has kept up the appearance of high land values. But WeWork just went into bankruptcy and hundreds of leases have gone onto the market. Oops.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:24 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:52 pm BTW, land is hard to sell atm in Cambodia. Hard to buy too, at a reasonable price, because the sellers want what it was worth a couple of yeers ago.
Same, same in the USA where banks have been avoiding forced sales on their commercial real estate loans. This has kept up the appearance of high land values. But WeWork just went into bankruptcy and hundreds of leases have gone onto the market. Oops.
Nothing that a pair of crisp hundos can't solve ... but I get it ... keep yer stuff tight. Tight is right!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:37 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:24 pm
Nothing that a pair of crisp hundos can't solve ... but I get it ... keep yer stuff tight. Tight is right!
A pair of crisp hundos ain't that magic and more. You know what a LandCruiser Prado costs these days?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Welp ... that clears it all up ...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

If you have speculative money for property investment, put your money in your home country or one that you understand and, (1) allows foreign direct ownership and (2) has a well-established body of law to protect your property rights, in life and after death.

Stay away from places like Cambodia that make it very clear it is not allowed and can just take it off you on a political whim or if you get in the way of a new development.

If you must buy a house for raising a family, as many of our members have done, then put it in the wife's name and work on the assumption that you will never see that money again unless it is rolled over into a new bigger home. Much like your home country actually, it will all end up with the kids one day.

Be happy that we can live here with one of the most relaxed visa regimes and enjoy it while it lasts (or you last!)
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

I'm a gambler ... my great, great, great uncle dug all the water wells along the Transylvania railway ... then gambled and drank it all away ... so I guess it's in my jeans.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:19 pm I'm a gambler ... my great, great, great uncle dug all the water wells along the Transylvania railway ... then gambled and drank it all away ... so I guess it's in my jeans.
Jeans? What brand?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Kenr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:09 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:19 pm I'm a gambler ... my great, great, great uncle dug all the water wells along the Transylvania railway ... then gambled and drank it all away ... so I guess it's in my jeans.
Jeans? What brand?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:15 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:09 pm
Jeans? What brand?
Now explain how your great great great uncle could drink all the water from the water wells he dug.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic