Laos is spiraling toward a debt crisis as China looms large

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dream syndicate
Tourist
Italy

Laos is spiraling toward a debt crisis as China looms large

Post by dream syndicate »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Laos is spiraling toward a debt crisis as China looms large

Post by John Bingham »

dream syndicate wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:10 am Is a warning for Cambodia too?
Combined with a currency crisis and soaring inflation, Laos is on the brink of economic collapse.
Does that sound like Cambodia to you?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Laos is fucked. A real shame, lovely people. I'd guess they will eventually (have to) ask China to be added as a province of Xi's empire or something.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:20 pm
dream syndicate wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:10 am Is a warning for Cambodia too?
Combined with a currency crisis and soaring inflation, Laos is on the brink of economic collapse.
Does that sound like Cambodia to you?

No but if they take the money for a sky train it could be in a few years when combined with airports and ports.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Laos recorded a 25.2 percent inflation rate in November, marking a slight drop from the previous month.

https://laotiantimes.com/2023/11/28/lao ... -november/

The depreciation of the Lao kip, influenced by a shortage of labor as workers seek better-paying jobs overseas, is a major contributor to inflation.

Despite official reports of a declining inflation rate, many on social media express dissatisfaction, questioning the accuracy of government figures.
In a bid to combat the soaring inflation rate, the Bank of the Lao PDR (BOL) has set a target to reduce inflation to 9 percent or another single-digit figure by the end of 2024. The central bank plans to tighten monetary policy enforcement to increase the domestic money supply and ensure that income from exports enters the banking system. Efforts will also focus on aligning currency exchange rates with market mechanisms, enhancing foreign currency exchange flexibility, and improving services provided by commercial banks.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Same same but different like Ukraine.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Time for a visit, me thinks. I haven't been since just before the Covid border closure clusterfuck in March 2020.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:20 am Time for a visit, me thinks. I haven't been since just before the Covid border closure clusterfuck in March 2020.
I have never been. I've been tempted once or twice, but plans usually stalled because of my usual gripe of a lack of direct flights from PP. The one direct flight to Vientiane with Vietnam Airlines is nearly $400. The indirect ones via Bangkok aren't much better. That extra $250 is the cost of accommodation for a week.

Just another reason to relocate to BKK.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:43 am
Alex wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:20 am Time for a visit, me thinks. I haven't been since just before the Covid border closure clusterfuck in March 2020.
I have never been. I've been tempted once or twice, but plans usually stalled because of my usual gripe of a lack of direct flights from PP. The one direct flight to Vientiane with Vietnam Airlines is nearly $400. The indirect ones via Bangkok aren't much better. That extra $250 is the cost of accommodation for a week.

Just another reason to relocate to BKK.
You're right, the price of that direct flight from Phnom Penh to Vientiane is outrageous. Timewise I could have combined those trips sometimes, but it really wouldn't make sense at that price. I might revisit a few Mekong towns in Thailand, go to Laos overland and then fly back from Vientiane to Bangkok.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

The drive up through the north of Cambodia & into Laos, aiming for Pakse is tremendous though, if you wanted to do it on a bit of a budget.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic