Vietnam Airlines Flight 815

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Vietnam Airlines Flight 815

Post by Brody »

Any of you old timers hear of this or were in country when it happened? I just learned of it today.

Vietnam Airlines Flight 815 was a scheduled Vietnam Airlines flight which crashed on final approach to Phnom Penh International Airport in Cambodia on 3 September 1997. The Soviet-built Tupolev Tu-134B-3 airliner crashed approximately 800 metres (2,600 ft; 870 yd) short of the Phnom Penh runway, killing 65 of the 66 people on board. As of 2023, it remains the deadliest accident in Cambodian history.[1] Upon investigation, the crash was determined to have been the result of improper actions by the pilot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_A ... Flight_815
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Vietnam Airlines Flight 815

Post by Freightdog »

The av-geek/masochist in me had read up on it again, since I’ve been here. It was included in briefing materials many years ago when we were temporarily based in south east Asia. A reminder to respect the weather and sub-standard services.
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

The debris was immediately looted iirc, grim stuff.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

There was a single survivor, a baby pictured here.

Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I expect that @Felgerkarb would likely know something about this.

Or, perhaps @Ot Mean Loi
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Brody wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:23 am There was a single survivor, a baby pictured here.

Wow ... what a great human interest story it would be if some enterprising reporter tracked this person down and did a "Where are they now" piece.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

I was here at the time of the crash, but I don't remember much about it. It was, however, a big news item back in South Korea (where I had been working).
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I was in Vietnam at the time and heard plenty about it. I recall people being interviewed at the time saying that kind of aircraft was a "flying brick" and weren't surprised that it went down. Turns out that some guy living near the crash site went scrounging and found one of the black boxes. I think they gave him a hundred bucks or something to turn it over!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

johnny lightning wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:30 pm Turns out that some guy living near the crash site went scrounging and found one of the black boxes. I think they gave him a hundred bucks or something to turn it over!
Yeah, I know we're dealing with dirt poor people but does everything have to be exploited for a fucking buck? Just turn over the fucking black boxes.

#WhatWouldBuddhaDo?

"Cambodia's government offered a reward for the return of the missing flight recorders. The three flight recorders, the CVR, the flight data recorder (FDR), and the quick access recorder (QAR), were all obtained from the villagers for US$10, $200, and $1500, respectively."
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Brody wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:57 am
johnny lightning wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:30 pm Turns out that some guy living near the crash site went scrounging and found one of the black boxes. I think they gave him a hundred bucks or something to turn it over!
Yeah, I know we're dealing with dirt poor people but does everything have to be exploited for a fucking buck? Just turn over the fucking black boxes.

#WhatWouldBuddhaDo?

"Cambodia's government offered a reward for the return of the missing flight recorders. The three flight recorders, the CVR, the flight data recorder (FDR), and the quick access recorder (QAR), were all obtained from the villagers for US$10, $200, and $1500, respectively."
Initial looting of the scene was done by military and police. Once the bodies were removed, villagers looted much of the remaining personal belongings and parts of the aircraft including the flight recorders.
I was in Vietnam at the time. A member of our rugby team was on the plane, so it was quite big news.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic