Anyone Else Been Seemingly Scammed by Andrea Dumont & Sky Pratt in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Anyone Else Been Seemingly Scammed by Andrea Dumont & Sky Pratt in Cambodia?

Post by General Mackevili »

There's an expat in Phnom Penh who says she found another expat couple (Andrea Dumont and Sky Pratt) selling a sofa online back in June, transferred money via ABA, and was told numerous times that it would be delivered, but she never received the sofa (or a refund).

A few important things to remember is that this was back in June (5 months ago), so it's not like they got busy one weekend and couldn't get it delivered when they said they would. And probably most importantly, a whopping TEN OTHER EXPATS online also said they have been scammed by them in the same fashion, maybe even trying to buy the same sofa, lol!!! Of the 10 others who reportedly got scammed in the same way, 2 of them managed to pressure them into returning their money.

So, if you see Sky Pratt and Andrea Pratt trying to sell something online to other expats in Cambodia, it seems it's likely a scam, and now you know.

Unfortunately, there are over 30 screenshots from their latest alleged victim, so they are NOT in order here on CEO, but you can clearly see excuse after excuse and still no sofa or refund.

Here's the recent account from their latest alleged victim:

"I would like to know if anyone knows Andrea Dumont and her husband Skye Pratt and where we could reach them?
They were trying to sell their table set and I've made a payment already but they have not delivered the item. Its been since June and until now there were no deliveries made (5months).
There are always excuses after excuses as to why they could not deliver. As a mom, I tried to be patient with them as they said they just got a newborn and I know how challenging it can be but what's frustrating about it is that they no longer respond to any of my messages -in marketplace, in personal messages or telegram. That's why I am asking for any leads to get this resolved.
This is the first time I've encountered such thing in my years here in Phnom Penh Mamas or expat groups as I usually have high confidence from people here and I usually just pay immediately. This makes me now lose confidence in people. And I am afraid that they have done this to many people. I appreciate any leads."

Here are also some replies from other expats on social media saying they've also fallen for their scam:

"We also bought a table from them and the same thing happened .. no table! It was also around June"

"I think I bought the same table from them and no table !"

"I am also a victim of their fraud - same table. I eventually got my money back"

"We also brought a sofa from them! Again no sofa no money this was also June time"

"They're known shoplifters and grifters.
They are on camera shopplinfting from small businesses in TTP and all business owners on Street 240 watch the like a hawk and won't leave their side.
I'm sorry to say you probably won't be seeing a table or your money back." [I guess this one isn't from an alleged victim, but knows of their activites.]

"I had issues with the same table. But they returned the money."

"They are scam artists. They know how to convince you. They have a legit ABA bank account under the name of the husband. The woman even gives phone calls so that you would trust her.
Happened to me. I threatened to go to the police with all the screenshots and I got my money back.
I think they prey on the ones who won’t bother reporting them for 50 or 60$."

"Well then..... you can add me to the list!!! Despite my intuition telling me something smells fishy,I went ahead with the purchase. Haven't seen any money, or the couch!!! How do they keep track of all the lies?!?!"

"Keep pushing you will get your money back. I have a screen shot of his LinkedIn profile with your legit place of work. I sent him that and he refunded quickly. I also reported him to Anti Cyber Crime Dept.
He did the same thing to a friend of mine and she got money back too."

"I bought a sofa from them around the same time. Made payment and never received the sofa. After many weeks of fighting and threats I got my $80 back."

"They tried to scam me too!"

"I knew it!!! They had posted these beautiful pieces for sale and asked for payment. We paid, but then delivery and pick up became a nightmare of excuses- newborn, school job in province, cannot pick up from them because they aren't home, or their newborn is asleep. We attempted to get thay sofa of them for 10 days and then they e en asked us for paymemt for delivery! Then I just threatened them with police and they promptly returned put $100 and never contacted us again. I think we all should try to find them anyway, they are from South Africa and it is completely possible to get them there! What nasty crooks!"

"Fuking con artist got me for $80 bucks at one point for and cup board. Same bullshit excuses. Phone broken not in Town, busy with school, new born blah blah BS. Finally paid me back after i threatened to come find them."

EASIEST WAY TO VIEW ALL THE SCREENSHOTS IS TO PRESS THE 'ARROWS' ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE EMBEDDED ALBUM BELOW:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Anyone Else Been Seemingly Scammed by Andrea Dumont & Sky Pratt in Cambodia?

Post by Alex »

What an innovative MO. Not.

I've never understood why people are trusting enough to just send money upfront. To an individual unknown to them, I mean, with a well reviewed business it's a different matter.

Also, once you realize you've been had, why write something dumb like "Honestly, I've waited long enough, refund won't be an option" to the scammer? At this point, you already (should) know there's no sofa, so a refund is your best outcome if you've threatened or annoyed the scammer enough.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Anyone Else Been Seemingly Scammed by Andrea Dumont & Sky Pratt in Cambodia?

Post by General Mackevili »

Alex wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:03 am What an innovative MO. Not.

I've never understood why people are trusting enough to just send money upfront. To an individual unknown to them, I mean, with a well reviewed business it's a different matter.

Also, once you realize you've been had, why write something dumb like "Honestly, I've waited long enough, refund won't be an option" to the scammer? At this point, you already (should) know there's no sofa, so a refund is your best outcome if you've threatened or annoyed the scammer enough.
Yeah, waiting 5 months to sort it out with someone with a bit too much patience. I'm also shocked that 10 other people have been scammed already and none of them let the internet know.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

This reminds me of something else I see a lot on ‘the socials’* people who buy something face to face and then post they were scammed because they found it didn’t work. Then when called out for not taking responsibility and checking before buying they respond that others should behave with integrity and why should I change my behaviour? They should change theirs? What La La land do people live in? People deserve what they get sometimes. Can’t stand a victim-player.

I’m never using that phrase again. You saw it here for the one and only time.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

violet wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:23 am This reminds me of something else I see a lot on ‘the socials’* people who buy something face to face and then post they were scammed because they found it didn’t work. Then when called out for not taking responsibility and checking before buying they respond that others should behave with integrity and why should I change my behaviour? They should change theirs? What La La land do people live in? People deserve what they get sometimes. Can’t stand a victim-player.

This reminds of a person who encourages criminal behavior. Total shit post. I cant stand a certain type of gutter expats in Cambodia. No standards, big mouth and full of shit.

Very good on CEO to expose scammers and very good that some idiot did not miss the chance to out himself. And yes, I know who the person is and his years' long posting record. Spare that kind of flak. That post stands on its own and reflects on the poster.

Perhaps people take it as warning to deal with such a person.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

violet wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:23 am This reminds me of something else I see a lot on ‘the socials’* people who buy something face to face and then post they were scammed because they found it didn’t work. Then when called out for not taking responsibility and checking before buying they respond that others should behave with integrity and why should I change my behaviour? They should change theirs? What La La land do people live in? People deserve what they get sometimes. Can’t stand a victim-player.

I guess you missread something.

The OP is about a couple that repeatedly sells items that do not even seem to exist, and obviously never delivers said items.
I'm sure you're not trying to say that these rip-off artists are just "doing what they're doing" and the victims are to blame :facepalm:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I read violet's post as suggesting that you should be more guarded instead of having to cry in your cornflakes later on. I think there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course that doesn't mean that scammers shouldn't be outed and condemned. They deserve that, or more. Still, it would be better if people didn't fall prey to them in the first place. This isn't a terribly elaborate scheme by a criminal mastermind.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Alex wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:49 pm I read violet's post as suggesting that you should be more guarded instead of having to cry in your cornflakes later on. I think there's nothing wrong with that.

Of course that doesn't mean that scammers shouldn't be outed and condemned. They deserve that, or more. Still, it would be better if people didn't fall prey to them in the first place. This isn't a terribly elaborate scheme by a criminal mastermind.
Buying something here often consists of prepayment and next day shipping.
If on the other hand someone were to ship an item and not get paid afterwards then they would also be called naive etc.

Victim blaming either way.

We should be able to trust other members of our tiny expat community with such basic things or they have no part in the community and should be publicly shamed forever, or castrated.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Alex wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:03 am What an innovative MO. Not.

If you're gonna sell a non-existent item, why sell a $50 - $80 anything. Sell a fukn house, car. Or bridge, twice.

I'm too lazy busy to read the shots, but that's a beauty: "No! Sorry. Too slow. Don't try to send my money back! It's couch or nothing. That'll learn ya good. Try to mess with me, goddamn whippersnappers." The scammer should have replied "Well ok, you win. You sure got us. Guess we will have to chalk this one down to experience."
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

*I’m never using that phrase again. You saw it here for the one and only time.
There ya go. Didn't want anyone else to spend time wondering which phrase you were referring to, or if it was one big phrase. I will bet you $20,000 that you use that phrase again. You in?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic